Author Topic: Avast and Spybot  (Read 12786 times)

netsrikn

Avast and Spybot
« on: December 03, 2009, 01:50:25 AM »
Hi there,
Not sure if this is where this one should go, but since it is to do with virus warnings I am putting it here.

I have been running both Avast and Spybot together on my computer for a few years now.  Today Avast updated itself with a new version of the program and all of a sudden it is seeing Spybot as malware!  I thought, okay, no problem, I will just download the latest version of Spybot.  Well, Avast won't even let me do that!  It comes up with the warning banner and won't let me download any further.

Anyone else having this issue?  Anyone know what's going on?

Thanks!
Kirsten

websnail

Re: Avast and Spybot
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2009, 02:05:41 AM »
Sounds like the same issue as I've seen with Mamutu (from the same people as A Squared Free) and Spysweeper...

Someone at Avast needs to fix this show stopper PDQ.

MisuVir

« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2009, 02:12:27 AM »
Latest VPS file (4091203-0) is detecting the following files as having Win32:Delf-MZG.
    TUGZip\TzShell.dll
    TUGZip\TzUpdate.exe
    TUGZip\TzSFX.exe
    TUGZip\TzScript.exe
    TUGZip\TUGZip.exe
    ACER eSettings\awcomm.dll
    Spybot\SDHelper.dll
    Spybot\UninsSrv.dll
    Skype\Plugin Manager\skypePM.exe
    ... and the list keeps growing!

I've scanned some of the suspect files on Jotti, only Avast and G Data come up with Delf-MZG, everything else shows clean. False positives much?

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • If at first you don’t succeed; call it version 1.0
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2009, 02:25:18 AM »
Please submit the files to Avast, from inside the chest if there are any there, as a false positive.
This is done by right-clicking the file from inside the chest, and following the prompts. They will be sent (silently) next time there is a VPS update. Or you could manually update, which will achieve the same thing, but sooner.
Windows 10,Windows Firewall,Firefox w/Adblock.

blacknyellow1909

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2009, 02:34:14 AM »
Hi there,

I have had the same problem with spybot and a squared. Both are programs that I have been using for ages and they have actually found a number of trojans and the like in the past.
Why they should be infected all of a sudden since downloading the latest version of Avast is beyond me.
Surely false positives?

Please investigate, because I depend on these two programs.

smokethapimp

« Reply #5 on: December 03, 2009, 02:47:02 AM »
Please submit the files to Avast, from inside the chest if there are any there, as a false positive.
This is done by right-clicking the file from inside the chest, and following the prompts. They will be sent (silently) next time there is a VPS update. Or you could manually update, which will achieve the same thing, but sooner.
Tarq, I sent the Spyware Doctor FP from the Virus Chest 10 minutes ago. However, AVAST refuses to allow me to send the FP's for SpyBot Search and Destroy and A-Squared. Itry the very same method that worked for the Spyware Doctor FP but no go on the other two files.

Winsyrstrife

« Reply #6 on: December 03, 2009, 03:16:10 AM »
I received the same notification upon normal use of my PC this evening.  Quite a surprise seeing Spybot in an Avast notification.  ???

I've submitted the file details for analysis.

--TJ

davebaldwin

« Reply #7 on: December 03, 2009, 03:27:39 AM »
I just uninstalled Avast so I could get back to work.  I trust Spybot over Avast.  It's also tagging PSPad.exe as having a trojan and the SpyBot forum is showing messages about this also.  Did Avast forget to test this latest download?

irwstetj

« Reply #8 on: December 03, 2009, 03:48:52 AM »
Most files have been moved to chest.
The question is, when it's gonna be fixed?!?
Is there any guarantee that when we restore the files from the chest after the vir DB fixed can make everything worked back as they used to be?!?

avastuser7

« Reply #9 on: December 03, 2009, 08:13:51 AM »
I got the same problem. After updating the program and restart the computer, I got trojan horse alerts on SDHelper.dll and then many other SDxxx.exe files. I am pretty sure those files are clean and AVAST gives false positive on them.

Just manually update your database - right click icon, "Updating" - "iAVS Update" and it would fix the problem. Worked for me!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #10 on: December 03, 2009, 09:23:19 AM »
I recommend manually updating (as said above), once that is complete, start Avast, open the chest, re-scan each file in turn, and when (if) it scans clean select "restore". A copy is retained in the chest; there is no indication restore is taking place, but it does. Check each original location to be sure before deleting it from the chest.

This won't work for everyone. Some people are unable to boot. I think the questions will roll in for a while, yet.

fanofavast

« Reply #11 on: December 03, 2009, 11:59:28 AM »
Thanks to everyone who has reported this issue.  I too have been having an issue where all of a sudden Avast says Spybot is a trojan.  Good to know that a false positive is probably all it is.  I am doing a boot scan now just to be sure, and thought to check here before getting too worried.  For me, Avast is my main line of defense and Spybot is more secondary, so I can live without Spybot for a while.  I hold Avast in fairly high regard and have used it for years, and this is only the second time I can remember that Avast got a little over-zealous, and the first time, I think Alwil issued an update that fixed things within about 24 hours or so.  I run the free home version of Avast, so that level of support is quite acceptable to me. Thanks again!

Offline Tarq57

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #12 on: December 03, 2009, 12:13:17 PM »
fanofavast,
Just make sure you have the latest VPS before acting on the results of any boot scan.
Don't want to be sending any system files to the chest, never to be accessible again.

netsrikn

« Reply #13 on: December 05, 2009, 12:21:50 AM »
Can I just say WOW!  Fast fix!  From past experience with programs etc. I was expecting at least a couple of days (weeks?) before anything was done, but you guys had it finished for the update the very next day!!  Kudos to you fix it people at Avast!!