Author Topic: Got Blue Screen After Updating to the Latest Avast Version? PLEASE READ!  (Read 31482 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Personal message from avast!WEBforum..?
« Reply #15 on: April 30, 2005, 07:57:26 PM »
start/panel control/system/advanced/performance/configuration/data prevention execution.
set second option and add ashserv.exe in the avast directory.

This is supposed to be a solution for ashServ.exe error at shutdown.
Can anybody from Alwil confirm this?
Which changes is security is being done by this procedure (changing DEP and excluding avast! there)?
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2005, 12:35:09 AM »

I doubt it.  :-\

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2005, 12:48:17 AM »
I doubt it.  :-\

Ok, why? Is this a hoax? Is this a security hole (I mean, excluding ashServ.exe from Data Prevention feature)?
Can you teach us, Igor?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Well, I simply don't think the problem has anything to do with DEP feature (which, unless I'm wrong, is available for real only on AMD64 and equal CPUs). The ashServ.exe crash on shutdown occurs when reading/writing an invalid block of memory - not when executing it.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I don't exactly remember where I saw it but although DEP is suposedly for AMD64 chips, it is still available as a setting within windows xp for most AMD chips (even my lowly Duron), and as far as I'm aware is on by default in windows xp.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

carnwath

Correction:

REPAIR does not appear to have completely fixed the problem.
See my email here three days ago.

In a period of  two days I have had a mouse freeze up twice,  which is much less than before I REPAIRed the avast application.

When the mouse freezes I can still ctrl-alt from window to window but not type any characters.

I can alt-F4 to kill each page and ultimately alt-F4 to restart

The problem 'seems' to be caused by moving the mouse over web pages with active buttons  e.g. Check Mail  in Yahoo webmail

At the most recent time I had

Windows Explorer
Yahoo mail in I.E.6
A webpage manager for a website in I.E.6
and two notepad pages open

27 processes in Taskmanager
memusage 143332K/751972K
cpu usage 1%
total physical 261688K
Avail 120076
Cache 147760

« Last Edit: May 02, 2005, 10:01:21 PM by carnwath »

Precious

Well I have gone into safe mode, uninstalled avast, re-installed it from original download, got new reg number, now if I ask it to check for updates it says cannot connect to server and freezes.

What am I doing wrong please

I did try to repair in safe mode but it would not work

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Well I have gone into safe mode, uninstalled avast, re-installed it from original download, got new reg number, now if I ask it to check for updates it says cannot connect to server and freezes.
Do you use a firewall? Which one?
Into the firewall settings, the following programs should be allowed to connect:
ashServ.exe (avast! antivirus service)
ashWebSv.exe (avast! Web Scanner)
ashMaiSv.exe (avast! e-Mail Scanner Service)
ashUpdSv.exe (avast! Update Service)
avast.setup (avast! Update executable)

Precious

Thank you

I have zone alarm running (the home version) any idea where I put these files please

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I have zone alarm running (the home version) any idea where I put these files please
Into the Programs tab settings of ZA.
But if you did not change the ZA settings, it should 'ask' you when a program wants to connect and you could allow them.

Precious

Thanks
that worked
I am now 'cooking on avast'
however one thing, the little icon in the tray at the bottom right had corner has gone.  How do I get it back again

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
however one thing, the little icon in the tray at the bottom right had corner has gone.  How do I get it back again
Fix tool for missing tray icons!
Download it here: http://freeweb.siol.net/razor256/downloads/aswTrayIconFix.zip
Download it and extract aswTrayIconFix.exe anywhere you want.
Run it and just click Fix button. Log off and log in again or simply restart your PC and icons should be back again. The program is standalone extract&use (although it looks like installer).

totts

I have had to reformat and reinstall XP.  Lost heaps of photos, music etc.  Will not take the risk with avast again..

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I have had to reformat and reinstall XP.  Lost heaps of photos, music etc.  Will not take the risk with avast again..
Sorry... maybe patience could guide you to a solution... but, now, you've formated...  :'(

Intantosha

I tried both solutions, and unfortunately neither worked (repair and uninstall/reinstall).  Is there something else I can do?