Author Topic: Real time shields  (Read 6212 times)

Rowie

Real time shields
« on: January 23, 2010, 06:11:31 PM »
Just installed Avast 5, and the real time shields wont turn on. I didn't have a problem with version 4.

Any ideas what the problem is?

Hermite15

Re: Real time shields
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2010, 06:15:12 PM »
if that still doesn't work after a reboot (or a stop/restart of avast services in computer management/services ) attempt a complete uninstall/reinstall. use that to uninstall: http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility , then reboot and install V5 from scratch, hope that helps  ;)

ps: what version of Windows are you on?
« Last Edit: January 23, 2010, 06:17:16 PM by Logos »

Rowie

« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2010, 06:28:24 PM »
Thanks for the answer.

Sorry, I should have mentioned I'm on Windows 7.

I have tried to start the process in services, but it says it was started and stopped again.

I have done a reboot after installation, but I'll try another and the uninstall option if need be.

cyberqtf

« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2010, 06:31:08 PM »
I too ran into a problem with the Real Time Shields when I tried to upgrade to Avast 5 on my Windows 7 netbook.  This was unfortunately only one of several problems I had, as I explained in another thread at http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=54082.0.  Though I was told the Real Time Shields were off, when I went into Settings I found that the Real Time Shields were said to be running!  I have no idea which is really true, but for the moment the other problems I've had with Avast 5 have led me to uninstall it and install Microsoft Security Essentials instead.  When I get home from the trip I'm currently on, I may try to give Avast 5 another try.

Rowie

« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2010, 01:23:48 PM »
Just to update this thread, started the computer this morning and the real time shields are now working.

Not too sure what the problem was, but maybe an issue the developers need to keep an eye on.