Author Topic: avast best free antivirus :)  (Read 9488 times)

bluefare

avast best free antivirus :)
« on: April 02, 2012, 06:16:49 AM »
hello i was using mse and i have just installed avast free edition to try a new antivirus , then i found this website
http://www.av-comparatives.org/en/comparativesreviews/removal-tests
in the removal test avast looks bad.
the most important things in antivirus are detection and removal
according to tests avira free is the best option for free antivirus,and avast free looks worst any comments?

thank you for answers, i did not think about prevention before ,no advertising yet free anvirus and definetely best lightweight antivirus software
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:55:06 PM by bluefare »

Offline Coolmario88

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Bronies make the web go round
Re: is avast the worst antivirus ?
« Reply #1 on: April 02, 2012, 06:25:35 AM »
I have had avast installed on this computer for a long time now.. and i have to say.. that i haven't got a virus on this computer yet! :D
Webbrowser: Mozilla Firefox
PC Specs: Intel i5-12400f, Nvidia RTX 3050, 16gb ram, 1.5TB SSD(s).

Gargamel360

« Reply #2 on: April 02, 2012, 06:53:49 AM »
@ thread title....LOL.....mmmmm, not really, no.
Really?   And here I was banking on Prevention...

Honestly, those tests are in part irrelevant shortly after they are released.  That is just how fast things move.  So tests from December hold even less weight.  Add to that the fact that you are looking at Avast! 6 test. (ver. 7 is out now, with many improvments).

Plus, you will get even more confused looking at focused tests.  They in no way measure a products effectiveness as a whole.  If you must look at tests, at least you are looking at what is probably the best Testing Firm in AV Comparatives....but look at their whole product dynamic tests for a more accurate picture.   Even then, as previously mentioned, you will be looking at Avast! 6 tests.

cinchez

« Reply #3 on: April 02, 2012, 12:47:23 PM »
I'd say it's irrelevant to me, as a computer user, at the very least. I guess it's more of a psychological effect when one sees those kind of tests. I mean, those are data and data don't lie so long as they are not manipulated by some sort of conspiracies.

I do think avast! is the best out there and I know it's protecting me everywhere I go in the cyberworld. Just that all results come down to end users eventually. :)

adotd

« Reply #4 on: April 02, 2012, 01:07:08 PM »
hi

in my opinon i think avast is the best, a antivirus software doesent protect you against all threats. new ones are found ever day. if you look at false positives avira is good at give that to you. those results are from last years tests using version 6, now we are on version 7.
 much better.

Anthony :)
« Last Edit: April 02, 2012, 01:09:13 PM by adotd »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #5 on: April 02, 2012, 02:04:15 PM »
Well the preamble information makes it fairly clear the test has nothing to do with detection:

These tests focus only on the malware removal/cleaning capabilities, therefore all used samples are samples that the tested Anti-Virus products are able to detect. It has nothing to do with detection rates or protection capabilities. Of course, if an Anti-Virus is not able to detect the malware, it is also not able to remove it.

The main question is if the products are able to successfully remove malware and its leftovers from an already infected/compromised system.

Since avast could detect all of these malware samples, so if you haven't got an infected/compromised system before you install avast, the name of the game if prevention rather than cure.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

iroc9555

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2012, 03:28:48 PM »

So you rather get sick and spend time with the Doctor and medicines to get better than never qet sick at all.

Prevention is the most important feature in AV and Avast! is one of the best.

No AV is good for removal. You will, most of the time, end up looking for certified personal to get rid of malware.

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #7 on: April 02, 2012, 09:35:35 PM »
I once tried Avira and I was very badly disappointed. It had only English language. It was updating 1.2kb/s and was pop-uping ads. When I tried to access internet my browser everytime frozen and crashed because of it's toolbar. Without that toolbar you are not protected on internet...
Avast! is just the best prevention. Now It has cloud tech - Prevention is even better with 20 updates per day (like malwarebytes  8)).
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

deyani

« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2012, 10:55:00 PM »
Well I have seen those tests before, but if practical use of many antivirus, avast is kind of the best. Have saved my work a lot of times!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #9 on: April 02, 2012, 10:57:03 PM »
I think that we have exhausted this topic, given that the OP hasn't responded (different time zone), so I suggest we wait for their response.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

bluefare

« Reply #10 on: April 03, 2012, 06:39:22 AM »
thank you for answers i have never think about prevention before, now i am using avast ,
also i heard about avira's annoying advertising popups,
now i think avast is the best free antivirus

Dch48

« Reply #11 on: April 03, 2012, 06:48:49 AM »
Plain and simple, if you never get infected, you don't have to worry about removal. If on the rare chance you do get infected by a brand new piece of malware while using Avast, (which could happen while using any AV product),  the detection signatures will very soon be able to detect the infection and at the very least, render the malware inoperable if not completely removed. Avast now has the fastest updating free product that I know of.

There are very good free malware removers like Malwarebytes that will clean the system of any remnants of an infection  99% of the time .

Offline danny96

• Malware Fighter
  • Advanced Poster
  • No-malware!
« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2012, 11:35:50 AM »
Plain and simple, if you never get infected, you don't have to worry about removal. If on the rare chance you do get infected by a brand new piece of malware while using Avast, (which could happen while using any AV product),  the detection signatures will very soon be able to detect the infection and at the very least, render the malware inoperable if not completely removed. Avast now has the fastest updating free product that I know of.

There are very good free malware removers like Malwarebytes that will clean the system of any remnants of an infection  99% of the time .

It has faster updates than 90% of paid products even...
« Last Edit: April 03, 2012, 11:38:25 AM by danny96 »
Real-time protection and Firewall: COMODO Internet Security 12.0.0.6810 -- Additional Protection: Web Of Trust, Ublock, NoScript, Malwarebytes Premium, Avast! Online Security, Hitman Pro -- OS: Windows 10

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
« Reply #13 on: April 03, 2012, 02:11:46 PM »
thank you for answers i have never think about prevention before, now i am using avast ,
also i heard about avira's annoying advertising popups,
now i think avast is the best free antivirus

Then it would be nice if you changed the title of this thread in your original post.  :)
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

zohrab

« Reply #14 on: April 03, 2012, 09:03:32 PM »
I think it depands.. I am using this antivirus from last 3 years .. In past its works well and every thing was perfectly good so i was thinking avast as the no.1 antivirus in world ;D ;D ; But now a days its version 7 is blocking my internet access. So I think its the most worst/bad anti virus in the world >:( >:( >:(.