Author Topic: [Resolved, soultion is here!] Avast! Blocking Browser HTTP Access  (Read 49458 times)

aviator992

I've seen many posts throughout the web on this issue, and wonder if it will ever be fixed. Anyways, i've used Avast! for years and am close to stopping that trend. Suddenly one day, with the web shield on(as it always has been), I cannot browse the internet with Firefox or IE. It was just sudden, not one thing changed on my PC. I had used it the day before with no issues!

To help get some actual answers that may be HELPFUL, heres what I have tried, and other info as well:

1. Uninstalled, used the uninstall utility, reinstalled, no dice...
2. Made sure that I have the proxy settings correct in Firefox and IE, no dice...
3. No, I dont have any other antivirus(nor have I ever had any others). Yes, I am sure...
4. No, I dont have any other firewall, no, my windows firewall is not on, and yes, I am sure...
5. I use spybot search and destroy, along with malware bytes anti-malware. Neither of these run in the background.
6. Yes, I did try the registry fix for the TMP and TEMP values, but both are set correctly.
7. Windows XP SP3.

Like I said, i've had no issues with browsing until yesterday. Nothings changed! Other programs that use the internet such as IM's are working fine even with the shield on. This is obviously an Avast! bug, although you say it can't "block", as it only "scans", that doesn't mean anything as myself and many others have said "With the webshield turned OFF, browsing is A-O.K". Sorry if I am sounding rude, but I am tired of developers not admitting to their flaws and blaming everything but their program. No Fanboyism!!!!! Thanks in advance.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 05:41:25 PM by aviator992 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re: Avast! 5.0.677 Blocking Browser HTTP Access
« Reply #1 on: October 14, 2010, 03:59:34 AM »
Difficult to say, as you've done all the common steps.
Just try setting the proxy to "none" into avast settings.
Can avast update?
Maybe you could post the webshield.log contents.
The best things in life are free.

aviator992

« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2010, 04:11:40 AM »
Difficult to say, as you've done all the common steps.
Just try setting the proxy to "none" into avast settings.
Can avast update?
Maybe you could post the webshield.log contents.

Yes, avast! updates fine. I have changed the proxy settings in avast! to every option, still not working. The only way that the internet works with the webshield on is if you change the "redirect settings" in avast and change the port to something other than 80. But as another post stated, that basically makes the web shield worthless...

Couldnt find a "webshield.log" file in the log folder in App Data. I found a webshield.txt in the "report" folder tho in app data, so I'll post that for now.

aviator992

« Reply #3 on: October 14, 2010, 04:43:24 AM »
I FIXED IT!!!! I ran the Windows XP Winsockfix utility and I am good to go! Whoever is having this issue on XP, try this file out - http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html . Not sure what changed that made avast not work, but this could be something the dev team could look into and see what changes the Winsockfix utility makes and see what matches in those settings on all the users computers that have the same issue. Good night!!!

I have found a couple of utilities that say they work for Vista and Windows 7, can't confirm if they fix the issue but worth a shot!
Vista - http://www.mydigitallife.info/2007/06/18/repair-and-reset-windows-vista-tcpip-winsock-catalog-corruption/
Windows 7 - http://windows7themes.net/winsock-fix-for-windows-7.html

I believe the fix for Vista and 7 are the same, but to be on the safe side I provided two different links for each operating system. Good luck!
« Last Edit: October 14, 2010, 06:52:17 AM by aviator992 »

kraisor

« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2010, 05:05:31 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem with Windows 7.  This sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.  If I disable the web shield, I'm able to connect.  Any help would be appreciated.

aviator992

« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2010, 05:11:45 AM »
I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem with Windows 7.  This sounds exactly like what I'm experiencing.  If I disable the web shield, I'm able to connect.  Any help would be appreciated.

I've seen it strung across all OS's. Just this is a fix for XP, as far as I know theres no utility for Vista or W7.

dgbullfrog

« Reply #6 on: October 14, 2010, 05:25:57 AM »
Was struggling with the same issue. Been using Avast forever, then out of the blue the internet just stopped working. Thought it was a Comcast issue but they walked me thru various troubleshooting steps and when the had me shut down Avast shields it started working. When web shield enabled no internet when it's off internet's fine. Tried all kinds of things I've read in this forum. The Winsock Fix is what resolved the issue for me.

Thank you very much Aviator!

aviator992

« Reply #7 on: October 14, 2010, 06:42:50 AM »
Thank you very much Aviator!

You're welcome! Glad it solved your issue as well.

IYQYQR

« Reply #8 on: October 14, 2010, 08:36:51 AM »
This fixed me right up. This should be a sticky.

Thanks Aviator...I guess smooth skies don't make skillful pilots!   ;)

Jalio

« Reply #9 on: October 14, 2010, 11:06:41 AM »
Thanks aviator992

This worked for me straight away.

Thanks again...  :)

aviator992

« Reply #10 on: October 14, 2010, 05:39:03 PM »
This fixed me right up. This should be a sticky.

Thanks Aviator...I guess smooth skies don't make skillful pilots!   ;)
Thats right! Bring on the turbulence and low visibility, along with some sort of instrument failure ;)
Glad it solved your problem as well!!

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: [Resolved, soultion is here!] Avast! Blocking Browser HTTP Access
« Reply #11 on: October 14, 2010, 06:05:56 PM »
Avitator, I have just one question. Which Avast product are you using? Free, pro, security suite?

aviator992

« Reply #12 on: October 14, 2010, 06:08:11 PM »
Avitator, I have just one question. Which Avast product are you using? Free, pro, security suite?
Free

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #13 on: October 14, 2010, 06:10:58 PM »
Ok. Thanks. Nice job!

Devilush

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2010, 03:20:41 AM »
I FIXED IT!!!! I ran the Windows XP Winsockfix utility and I am good to go! Whoever is having this issue on XP, try this file out - http://majorgeeks.com/WinSock_XP_Fix_d4372.html .
I experienced this issue last night and the above fixed it for me,thank you!(WinXp SP3)

(Edit - I ran a registry cleaner and then this problem occurred)
« Last Edit: October 16, 2010, 04:00:23 AM by Devilush »