Author Topic: Avast Went No Smoking?  (Read 3093 times)

mannx

Avast Went No Smoking?
« on: April 28, 2009, 11:29:49 AM »
"Q: There´s a red circle on avast! a-ball icon in system tray and when I click on it, the error message appears saying "the AAVM subsystem detected a RPC error". How to fix this?"

This message above does apply to me. Their is a red no smoking icon on avast and if try to open on access protection center I get that above message. The answer doesn't work in the Faq. I do use vista(The solution it had would not for vista, I did try what it said anyway but In that location it did say that avast is automatic and started.
Here is the answer it gave me.

"A: First, use Windows Update to be sure that all Windows components (including "RPC") is up to date. Then restart your computer and check if the problem persists. If it persists, follow these instructions:

Right-click the icon MY COMPUTER and select MANAGE.
In left column unroll SERVICES AND APPLICATIONS.
Click on SERVICES.
In the right column, look at the state of service avast! Antivirus.
If the service isn't set to start automatically, set it that way (right-click it and select PROPERTIES and the STARTUP TYPE set to AUTOMATIC). Restart the computer after making the change.
If it was already set to "Automatic", check the status of the service. If it not "Started", try to start it (right-click it and select START).
If the service cannot be started, your avast! installation might be corrupted. Try repairing the avast! installation: click START -> CONTROL PANEL -> ADD/REMOVE PROGRAMS -> avast! Antivirus -> CHANGE/REMOVE and select REPAIR.
This solution works on Windows NT, 2000, XP and 2003 only."

mannx

Re: Avast Went No Smoking?
« Reply #1 on: April 28, 2009, 11:36:19 AM »
I tell alittle bit about what happened to my pc before it did this.

I have a Live CD of Ubuntu, I do know from pass experince that any time you have any other os around windows windows screws you over. But because I though it was just a live cd I could mess around with it, But No.
I could not get into the the os of the cd anyway because of my computer was to up to date for it anyway. But then I could not get into windows windows made me do some kind of validation scan of one of my harddrives after that I still was having problems. so I tried safemode but it would boot me out saying you must validate in normal mode first.

And I am like why do I need to do that again. So I did, in this whole mess sometime avast got this problem. I am starting to get windows happy again, but I need virus protection to beable to go online.

TY for any Help on this problem.

bobo1

« Reply #2 on: April 28, 2009, 01:36:57 PM »
You must have remainder of another antivirus on your computer (nortons and macafee have removal tools for these) this will cause a conflict with Avast!. Did you have one installed in the past?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: April 28, 2009, 04:00:57 PM »
Have (or did) you another AV installed in this system, if so what was it and how did you get rid of it ?

Windows making you do some sort of validation scan 'very strange' (read suspicious) can be a little more specific ?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

mannx

« Reply #4 on: April 28, 2009, 10:36:09 PM »
When I got the problem with avast I have not had any other virus programs installed. After I got the problem I downloaded a trial program of AVG(very good program) till I get my avast working.

In Acting strange the pc will be over-all slower, downloads and installations will be slow and fail alot, But I got passed that part only problem only problem left is getting avast to work.
I have never had this problem before even with having more than one virus program installed. I have one pc that has had but AVG and Avast in at the same time with no problems.

Would uninstalling avast and reinstalling be a thought to try? or something like that?

Offline !Donovan

• Web Analyst
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
    • The WAR Against Malware
« Reply #5 on: April 28, 2009, 11:16:56 PM »
Hello Mannx and welcome to the Avast Forum! :)

Try uninstalling Avast! with the removal tool and then use the AVG removal tool, then try rebooting and then redownloading Avast! If that was a used computer then it might of had norton on it so just to be on the safe side, use the Norton Removal Tool.

AVG Removal Tool: http://www.avg.com/download-tools
Avast! Removal Tool: http://www.avast.com/eng/avast-uninstall-utility.html
Norton Removal Tool: http://service1.symantec.com/Support/tsgeninfo.nsf/docid/2005033108162039
« Last Edit: April 29, 2009, 02:25:53 AM by Donovansrb10 »
Familiarize Yourself! | Educate Yourself! | Beautify Yourself! | Scan Yourself!
"People who say it cannot be done should not interrupt those who are doing it."