Author Topic: Avast html:script-inf  (Read 97080 times)

grthanasis

Re: Avast html:script-inf
« Reply #30 on: April 12, 2011, 11:12:11 AM »
Hi there!
Well, it was a false alarm.
Anyway, yesterday I had to move to chest some thousands of files because of this problem and I have a quick question: Can I restore them from the chest? How? And if I do it, will everything be as good as it used to be?
I'm quite sad, because this happened only on the 3rd day of my brand new pc, after I had finally setup everything as I wanted them to be :(

Please assist in above questions!

Thank you,

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #31 on: April 12, 2011, 11:13:58 AM »
Can I restore them from the chest? How?

Yes. Right click in the chest to see the options.
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #32 on: April 12, 2011, 03:14:29 PM »
Check out this post as you don't want to restore all files (existing ones in the chest before this and any temp internet files, pointless, etc. It also shows how to speed up the process of restoring those that you have to.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=75999.msg628755#msg628755

Remember that restoration only moves a copy back to the original location, it doesn't remove the item from the chest. That is effectively a back-up until you know the file is back in the original location, then you can delete those files from the chest, also using the same shortcut process in the post link above.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
« Reply #33 on: April 12, 2011, 03:28:17 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Was I glad I was doing something else at the time of the "avast update glitch" and missed that update alltogether, I came back on when all had been turned back to normal again and only the webforums and updating was still quite slow (around 10 at night CET).
Because I was not alone missing the wrong update I think only part of avast users were affected. But those that got a hunch that something was not right would have better closed down their computers (if that had been an option) and wait for the dust to be settled. What is the best procedure to act in case such a scenario will repeat, despite of the fact that avast will do all sorts of tests to prevent a rehearsal?

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

grthanasis

« Reply #34 on: April 12, 2011, 03:49:21 PM »
Thank you so much for the support!

So, as far as I understand, I'll just restore all files and my pc will be as I'd never had this problem, right?
(as explained before it's a brand new installation, therefore there was nothing else in the chest - all files there are just the ones I moved there last night)

Once again thank you!

"In Avast we trust!"

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #35 on: April 12, 2011, 03:57:40 PM »
So, as far as I understand, I'll just restore all files and my pc will be as I'd never had this problem, right?

Yep, that's how it should work. ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2011, 04:09:07 PM »
Hi DavidR,

Was I glad I was doing something else at the time of the "avast update glitch" and missed that update alltogether, I came back on when all had been turned back to normal again and only the webforums and updating was still quite slow (around 10 at night CET).
Because I was not alone missing the wrong update I think only part of avast users were affected. But those that got a hunch that something was not right would have better closed down their computers (if that had been an option) and wait for the dust to be settled. What is the best procedure to act in case such a scenario will repeat, despite of the fact that avast will do all sorts of tests to prevent a rehearsal?

Well it didn't take avast long to realise there was something wrong with the update, presumably the communityIQ function and they blocked the update servers to limit the spread of the bad update. Once the VPS fix was done that was uploaded to the servers and they were unblocked.

So many users will have been blissfully unaware, due to a) their time zone, b) the VPS update duration delay (default settings, etc.) or the computer wasn't switched on. However, with 125 million active users that could still amount to a lot of users effected, like yourself I was unaware of the problem, other than the forums being virtually inaccessible for a few of hours.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2011, 04:12:44 PM »
Thank you so much for the support!

(as explained before it's a brand new installation, therefore there was nothing else in the chest - all files there are just the ones I moved there last night)

You're welcome.

Yes, that is about it, once you have restored the files and they are in the original location you can delete the contents of the chest. A copy remains there on restoration just in case it didn't work (otherwise you would lose the only copy).

Jegyed

« Reply #38 on: April 12, 2011, 04:15:27 PM »
My system crashed because of the problem and it took a good effort to get it to reboot. Now that it is up my programs all seem to be working. I did run system restore ( to an earlier date) twice in the process. My thinking is that I can skip trying to restore all the program files in the Virus Chest.

Is this a correct assumption.

Thank you,

John

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #39 on: April 12, 2011, 04:20:14 PM »

If you did run a system restore: Yes. :)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #40 on: April 12, 2011, 04:23:29 PM »

I honestly don't know as I don't know what system restore would actually cover as it is far from perfect, it may not cover .htm or .html files (as it isn't a comprehensive backup solution), which appear to be the only file types effected in this. I also don't know how the system restore might impact on avast itself and whether the files would be in the chest or not.

The other point is that if the majority of these were in the temp internet files folder then there is little point in restoring files to a temp location.

So only files in locations other than temp locations should be considered for restoration. Check the link I gave in Reply #32 above on how to go about this process.
« Last Edit: April 12, 2011, 04:25:08 PM by DavidR »

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #41 on: April 12, 2011, 04:34:24 PM »
I honestly don't know as I don't know what system restore would actually cover as it is far from perfect, it may not cover .htm or .html files

System restore does cover these files.

Jegyed

« Reply #42 on: April 12, 2011, 04:46:16 PM »
Actually the majority of files removed from my computer were program files. Perhaps this is because when Avast kept telling me that I had a threat I ran a system scan. I only glanced at the files and started to do a boot scan because Avast recommended it. The boot scan seemed to have stalled so I shut the power off because it the boot scan showed no progress bar on the screen and did not respond to the escape key.

I just did some better checking.
Most of the files are Program App data ( not sure what these are) , followed by program files that seem to be limited to several games and Turbo Tax. The games I could care less about, and more importantly Turbo Tax functions. Lastly some temp files.

When my computer failed to reboot and windows failed to initially repair windows start-up I assumed some system files must have been removed. I scrolled through the files by type and do not see any off these so windows must have hung on trying to load up the program files.

Now I am afraid to reboot the thing with Avast installed. I updated the definitions and is asking me to reboot my machine.

As you can tell I am just a novice compared to most of you, so your advise is valued.

Thanks,

John the Hungarian in Nashville.

JRV

« Reply #43 on: April 12, 2011, 05:29:34 PM »
I sure wish I missed that faulty definition update, too. Now I have 3000+ files in the chest.

They all are program files that came from either Tax Cut or my flight simulator game.

Since I'm not too advanced as a user, I don't know if these files will be missed if I don't restore them.

Any advice would be appreciated.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #44 on: April 12, 2011, 05:35:23 PM »
Any advice would be appreciated.

Use your latest system restore point.