Author Topic: I think MY PS3 has been comprimised through these methods...  (Read 5810 times)

hyjaxltd

I think MY PS3 has been comprimised through these methods...
« on: October 23, 2009, 04:19:55 AM »
Okay, sorry to bring something that reltively does not belong but Im pretty sure someone IS spreading some sort of 'virus/trojan/worm' across the PSN.  They, their support team, argues it cannot be done as the system for the PS3 is completly propietary and has not been shared enough for that to be occuring.

My arguement against that is the number of games that are being fed some sort of hack that affects users at a global level.  This says it IS being hacked in one area...why are they so convinced its not happening in other areas.

I know no one here can comment much as none of you work for SCEA, but maybe a phone call to them will get my system back to acting the way it was...the same way every time I turned it on.  After all, it should be the same 1's and 0's when I turn it on, right?  Maybe this is where Avast needs to launch its newest product line at...

Im just sayin its wierd, and usually after I accept friend request from ppl I dont actually know...something else that seems 'virus' like about the hole affair.  You broke the Twitter bug from its hiding sublet last month, maybe this will prove as well.

EDIT:
Additionally, it will happen after I get messages from non-friends(which I wish they would fix NOW) about chain letters, next thing I know...my PS3 is being all weird.  AGAIN, I have tested this theory several times now, and so long as I dont accept wierd freind requests, or get any chain mail or messages from people Iv never added as friends, than thats when the irregularities begin.
« Last Edit: October 23, 2009, 04:07:20 PM by hyjaxltd »

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: I think MY PS3 has been comprimised through these methods...
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2009, 04:41:23 PM »
should you not post that to thr ps3 support instead of here?
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

hyjaxltd

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2009, 04:06:05 AM »
I have a thread currently running.  However, their forum is not ran by their support staff at all.  Its ran by Lithium, great guys; just really put a company out of touch with its real consumer voice, at least for the generation I see today.

Since it really doesnt have anything to do that fits any other subject, I thought I would come to the ones I trust...Im not really looking for support; unless that would be moitoring my PS3, or trying to duplicate the events on your own; if you have one ;D.  I think that would be the only way to prove 'something' is happeneing.  Also, the 'issues' that occur, at least for the most part are being blamed as "server based" yet I can instantly correct the issue on a local basis by reformatting.  I have also been able to avooid it from occurring again (suspect behavior) recently, by exercising the same cation you would to prevent yourself from being infected on your PC.

Ya know, like dont accept friend requests from people I dont know personlly.  Also before that I made sure to stop opening ANYTHING these 'extra' friends and this made a difference every once in a while.  The means that INSTANTLY correct things like not being able to delete certain freinds, some of my friends would not appear in my list; only to occasionly get them back on by logging into my browser, just 'strange behavior' all together(music files skipping..wierd stuff) was a lcoal solution.  I have now not seen my machine HAVE ANY of these issues since going to the same lengths I would to avoid my PC from being comprimised...

Except for my love of COD,; (I know I should just be as well downloading warez files over a P2P with a torrent engine :D, right)and even today I had my toon completly taken over ???...not random movement...Im sayin he did almost a 180 went around objects towards a specific area, to even jump an obstacle that was small enough to not have to go around.  Obviously something was noticed by someplace other than myself as then we started getting the connection interrupted signal and then my screen started going random like when that normally occurs.  My system did not seem to end up being affected like after the accepting a few to many freind requests. ::)

Now concerning how I fix things that everyone is calling 'server related' at a local level...and can now AVOID complelty so far.  Doesnt that at least suggest some one may have got something running around out there...after all we now put our CC info over the store connection; why wouldnt some freak hit us there!!!

So anyhow, if this needs to be just ignored/locked as a thread, I dont care.  I just think someone with a MUCH better understanding of virus/malicous code should take a gander.  I will volunteer if it is possible to have my things monitored.  Like I said in my thread...if it smells like a virus, if it sounds like a virus, but most importantly; if it acts like a virus....its most likely a virus(and please know Im old school lazy and that qualifies ANY malicious code wether it be virus, trjan, or worm; as a virus).

This really just comes from a love of the ONLY AV scanner that keeps my machine(PC) doing the same things every time...yea, I got working SCREAMING FAST Vista  :o; thanks to your Avast! Home.  I also love my BC Playstaion and would be very upset if it was YLOD by someone knowing enough to have done it...some 13 year old too(j.k.)  and of course Pirates...Avast ya mateys!!! Real Privateers dont needs to cheat or steal. ;D

So if Vic or any other mod needs to lock this, Im cool with that, but those are all the relevant details to include a local cure that solves a 'server based' problem...and now keeps it cured.  Sorry to be so wordy as well, I just want whoever CAN check this out to really get what happens and the fix for it.

Oh yeah, I know, dont accept ANY friend requests from those I dont know personally.  8)

John2009

« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2009, 05:15:27 PM »
I do not think consoles are capable of getting a virus because they don't have the necesssasary programs to do so. 

Went to spysherrif on my DSi and Wii, nothing happened.

Hannu

« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2009, 05:57:19 PM »
Unfortunately, I've come across spam messages on the PSN too. I e-mailed to Sony about this matter. Also deleted the user from freinds list. This is really unfortunate to find spam, but there's nothing average user can do about it :'(
This is one spam message I have received:
http://cid-4eb1f931ff579f20.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/spam%20message%20pt1.jpg
http://cid-4eb1f931ff579f20.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/spam%20message%20pt2.jpg
http://cid-4eb1f931ff579f20.skydrive.live.com/self.aspx/.Public/spam%20message%20reply.jpg

« Last Edit: October 26, 2009, 01:58:12 PM by Hannu »

John2009

« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2009, 02:02:10 AM »
Oh I know this piece of crap, its on Xbox live too! One person starts it, mails it to recent players and friends, they believe it, and let the fun begin!

Offline scythe944

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
    • My Tech Blog
« Reply #6 on: October 28, 2009, 04:41:36 AM »
 ???

I don't know man, I have a ps3, and I get spam messages every once in a while.  However, since I don't have any friends that own a ps3, I open the messages just to see what they are anyway.

I have never experienced any "weird" behavior after opening one of these messages, however my ps3 has been broken for over a year now.

When I say broken, I mean that it plays DVD's, Blu-Ray's, music and photos quite well, but it locks up after about 5-30 mins of playing games.  I've been meaning to either fix it or get it fixed, but I haven't gotten around to it yet.  My money is better spent elsewhere, like on my new baby girl or bills or food.

Anyway to get more on point, I highly doubt anything can be spread via the messaging system within the PS3.  There's really no way to insert any executable code from within the messaging system as far as I can tell.  Could just be a problem with your internet connection, or maybe just try to format your hard drive to see if you have corruption.

Sorry I confirm your theory any further, and I hope you get it fixed.
For generic computer (not avast) problems, you can also visit my forum for help: http://www.jacobytech.net/forum

John2009

« Reply #7 on: October 28, 2009, 11:46:02 PM »
Its not a virus by the way, read my post  :)

zDMPz

« Reply #8 on: November 02, 2009, 05:07:51 AM »
Actually I had some problems whenever I played Cod MW... I just got my ps3 like a month ago and as soon as I got it I started playing cod online. The first days it didnt show any problems, then one day I got a mail from someone I didnt know but I still opened it and then forgot about it... didnt delete it though. Immediately after that everytime I played cod online whenever I was in a match it would randomly pop me a message in top screen saying connection interrupted and then started acting crazy until it kicked me out of the game, at first I thought it was just a net issue cause we dont have good network service where I live, finally a couple days ago I got sick of it and decided to browse the internet for some answers and it wasnt until I found this thread that I linked the strange mail I received with my "connection interrupted" issues. Right after I read this I went to my mail and deleted the message... Ive played about three times scince I deleted the mail and all issues seem to be resolved so i cant explain why but Im pretty sure that it has something to do with that weird mail.
Anyways thanks a lot hyjaxltd and i hope you also fix your problem.