Author Topic: Problem with 4.5  (Read 39870 times)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re:Problem with 4.5
« Reply #60 on: October 29, 2004, 10:19:32 AM »
Must have been a early Halloween joke ;D ;D ;D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #61 on: October 29, 2004, 02:43:35 PM »
4.1 - I run MW first (no change to original account settings, no 127.0.0.1 changes, etc.), this deletes email from the server and hands off to OE. I then download remaining emails left on the server and avast scans them into OE inbox.

You can always swith off the automatic scanning in avast! 4.5 mail scanner and use it exactly as before (eg. vers 4.1) - as far as you believe, there are no viruses targeted for k9 and/or you're waiting for the first one to infect you.  ;)

I am not using 4.5 beta, I tend not to use beta programs, especially for something as critical as anti-virus software.

I am not using K9 either - I use MailWasher which doesn't download the full email or attachments, only a small part (the size can be set by the user) of it to analyse/detect spam - It views that in plain text and doesn't execute code. When analysis and user input marks email as spam, etc. for deletion, they are deleted from the mail server. It is not a case of nothing is targeting MailWasher (not K9) and I am certainly not waiting for the first one to infect me.

I can't see how switching off automatic mail scanning is any sort of viable option to get arround double scanning, ditch email protection completely ??? Switching it off will not be the same as with 4.1 as currently I run MW independant of avast and have avast automatically scan my email. The option you suggest would remove email protection completely (unless I'm missing something here), not the same as 4.1.

I can't believe that you would offer that as a serious option, perhaps that's the reason for the  ;). So if it was not serious, why offer it?
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #62 on: October 29, 2004, 03:03:28 PM »
I am not using 4.5 beta, I tend not to use beta programs, especially for something as critical as anti-virus software.

Sorry to say that, but this thread and others in this forum are about the 4.5 beta and it's new features.

The option you suggest would remove email protection completely (unless I'm missing something here), not the same as 4.1.

Ok, I must admit your are missing something!

All the old features of version 4.1 are present in the beta and will be present in the final release of version 4.5. Especialy I mean the Mail Protection Wizard and the option to manualy setup certain accounts (eg. in Outlook Express) to be scanned by avast!. By 'automatic mail scaning' in my previous post I mean the fact that avast! is now able to *automaticaly* catch all outgoing connections to POP3, SMTP and IMAP ports and perform a mail scan on them without requiring you to make any changes in your accounts.

If you firstly connect via <please_add_your_favorite_antispam_solution_here> and then separatly from your mail client, both of these connect attemps are scanned for viruses. If it does not suite your needs you can switch this feature off and will get exactly the same functionality as in previous versions (not mentioning other enhancements - new packers, bug fixes etc.)

It seems to me as a pretty serious option - you get a new feature, for free, and if you don't like it, you are not obliged to use it!

Cheers
Lukas.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2004, 03:14:00 PM by lukor »