Author Topic: Sensitivity Slider  (Read 7767 times)

Starfighter

Sensitivity Slider
« on: November 09, 2004, 11:09:09 PM »
I'm using Avast 4.5.512 and Win 98 (with all the critical MS updates etc).  And XML for Avast storage database format.

Although it seems that the recent Alwil fix has corrected remembering some of the Resident Task Settings (i.e. in the advanced settings: silent mode, no etc--that all works now), but avast still can't remember the slider settings after a reboot.  Specifically, if mail scanner is set at normal, and I slide it to high, and press okay, and then I reboot my computer, the slider goes back to Normal again. See attached image for what I mean by the slider.  Can it be fixed?  (I tried the old trick of pausing/stopping provider, but I find that sometimes still doesn't work... )

Thanks!
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 12:09:29 AM by Starfighter »

Starfighter

Re:Sensitivity Slider
« Reply #1 on: November 10, 2004, 12:13:39 AM »
I'm having difficulty with the attached image showing up, so I'll try again here:

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #2 on: November 10, 2004, 12:30:20 AM »
You're having problems with picture attachments because you are trying to preview your post after typing and prior to posting. Never do that ! If you wanna post something with attachment, just type everything, attach the attachment and click on POST. Not on Preview, because it will erase your picture from attachment (no one knows why, we never figured it out, but we know that it happens... God knows why...  ::) ).

For the avast! won't remember settings in Windows 98 issue, you'll have to wait for some answer from someone that uses Win 98 or from someone from Alwil team...

Good luck !
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 01:43:06 AM by S.Z.C »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: November 10, 2004, 12:57:21 AM »
I know its not the solution but, if you exit avast (shutting down the providers) and after that boot and restart your computer, will the settings be saved?

I thought this was already solved in 4.5  :-[
The best things in life are free.

Starfighter

« Reply #4 on: November 10, 2004, 01:33:36 AM »
Sasha: Bingo   ;D   that was indeed my error  -- trying to preview it first.  Thanks for the help with that...

Technical:  Thank for your help.  Your suggestion worked, upon a reboot, Avast now remembered the setting (from normal to high).  

It had been my fault as I was using either the pause provider and/or stop provider rather than just using the Stop On-Access Protection feature.   So using the Stop on-access made it remember after a reboot.

But alas, the problem still remains in that I have to use Stop On-Access Protection and then reboot--rather than the slider remembering it properly in the first place   :'(

(as if I should be complaining--I mean, it's a free program for home use, and here I am looking a gift horse in the mouth!)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: November 10, 2004, 01:37:32 AM »
As if I should be complaining--I mean, it's a free program for home use, and here I am looking a gift horse in the mouth!

Well, avast is not only free!  8)
It works, is the best, protects, have beutiful skins  :-*
The best things in life are free.

conazus

« Reply #6 on: November 10, 2004, 01:41:52 AM »
As if I should be complaining--I mean, it's a free program for home use, and here I am looking a gift horse in the mouth!

Well, avast is not only free!  8)
It works, is the best, protects, have beutiful skins  :-*

you left out something   :)

has GREAT tech support  !    Many of us would be lost without you guys

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #7 on: November 10, 2004, 01:47:00 AM »
And Starfighter...

you said this:

(as if I should be complaining--I mean, it's a free program for home use, and here I am looking a gift horse in the mouth!)

That is not complaining... it's rather report from a good avast! user... and of course suggestion on how to improve this already great product... so, don't blame yourself. Believe it or not, Alwil is happy when we report something, because that way, they are much more infomed on what's happening out there. They really need our feedback, because this way, we can report some issues, and they can work on them to solve all reported problems...

Cheers !

EDIT: Connie - you really need new avatar...  ;D (Don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with that one, btw, it's made perfect) ...but, maybe something more happy than this guy that you have right now as your avatar. He really looks so tired, and judging by your posts, you are not even close to "tired" woman... you are full of energy, and that's why I'm thinking, you need something more "alive"  ;D
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 01:51:34 AM by S.Z.C »

conazus

« Reply #8 on: November 10, 2004, 01:57:11 AM »

EDIT: Connie - you really need new avatar...  ;D (Don't get me wrong, nothing is wrong with that one, btw, it's made perfect) ...but, maybe something more happy than this guy that you have right now as your avatar. He really looks so tired, and judging by your posts, you are not even close to "tired" woman... you are full of energy, and that's why I'm thinking, you need something more "alive"  ;D

way off topic alert!!!   :)

Sasha... I take that as an extreme compliment   (btw: its perfect)   and thank you for that.    hey,  its me at 5am   lol        

hummm...   now who do we know that could make me a better one?  haha

edit:   this is on my server.. its a kokopeli...   very indicitive of where i live ...   hint hint   LOL

http://members.cox.net/conazus/kokopelli_on_rock_background_sm_clr.gif
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 02:03:50 AM by connie »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #9 on: November 10, 2004, 02:03:31 AM »
Well, I'm here to help if it's needed, but listen to this... actually, read it please...

I can help and I'm willing to help to anyone... always... everybody knows that.

But...

I also believe that there is so many talented people, they just need to play with those drawing utilities a little bit more. I think you are perfect example. I think that you are very very very capable to make yourself a great avatar, just like you made that one... it's just, I thought, you may wanna have something more cheering, more festive than that tired guy... but that was just my humble opinion. It doesn't mean that you have to change it, no way. You will use whatever makes you happy and whatever you think it looks better.

Again, I really believe that you are soooooo capable to make any kind of avatar you want... prove it Connie !  ;D

conazus

« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2004, 02:04:55 AM »
oh great..    a challenge     hehe    ;D

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
« Reply #11 on: November 10, 2004, 06:02:18 AM »
i got same problem with Windows 2000 Pro, there was never installed Avast before (just fresh 4.1 then update to 4.5 beta)

this slider was refusing use "HIGH" for normal shield, rest of shields were ok ....
only available was normal/custom

btw that Network shield is great thing especially when You put machine with it into campus network :)... spammed with lot of exploit attacks :)

https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2004, 07:37:44 AM »
Dwarden, I seen what you're saying. It seems to be a minor bug indeed. Will fix it.

Starfirgther, are you talking about the same thing? I.e. when you move the slider of the Standard Shield to High, it gets reset to Custom? Do the problems only happen with this particular provider or all providers?

Thanks
Vlk
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 07:38:36 AM by Vlk »
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Starfighter

« Reply #13 on: November 10, 2004, 06:22:07 PM »
Starfirgther, are you talking about the same thing? I.e. when you move the slider of the Standard Shield to High, it gets reset to Custom? Do the problems only happen with this particular provider or all providers?

It happens whenever I move the Standard Shield and/or the Internet Mail provider slider from normal to high (or even custom)... it will reset after a reboot back to Normal again (so not back to Custom, like what Dwarden experiences).  

I don't use any other provider other than Standard Shield and Internet Mail... so I can't comment upon the other options.

(I use Win 98, OE 6 and Internet Explorer 6, all MS patches installed)

Thanks Vlk!  :)
« Last Edit: November 10, 2004, 06:33:14 PM by Starfighter »