Author Topic: Just a quick question.  (Read 9450 times)

Jonte

Just a quick question.
« on: December 27, 2004, 12:44:29 AM »
When you are online (MSN), you usually have ppl sending you files etc.
What .exe file is that I should use, so that my avast! 4.5 will scan the objects when I receive them?

S.Z.Craftec

Re:Just a quick question.
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2004, 02:10:57 AM »
This is exact path (of course if you didn't change your avast! default installation folder) file you need:

C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe

Also, you may wanna enable Instant Messaging shield in your avast! On-Access Scanner... see picture in attachment.

Cheers !
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 02:11:29 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2004, 02:41:14 AM »
When you are online (MSN), you usually have ppl sending you files etc.
No that is not unsuall. Why would anyone send you a unsolicted file? Only if they want to spread malware! MSN is (and probably will ever be) a security risk.

Also, you may wanna enable Instant Messaging shield in your avast! On-Access Scanner
So... 1st install a application which is a security risk and than go looking for a way to reduce the risk..... Why not just, NOT install it in the 1st place and avoid the security risk? *sigh*
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 02:51:53 AM by Eddy »

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2004, 02:50:37 AM »
Then breathing is Security risk if you want to put it that way. I use Yahoo Messenger and MSN messenger as well, and I never had any single problem in my life. Everything is under control. Files that someone wants to send me are received only if I give them my permission, and I give my permission only to my father and no one else. Why should I ? Like someone will send me something important that I can't live without ? Million dollars maybe ? Eddy don't be silly...

Software firewall, one of the best antiviruses out there, hardware router/firewall, every single file is checked by ashQuick.exe, and Instant Messenger is enabled with support for MSN Messenger. Why would Alwil include it anyway if there is no use of it ?  ::)

Anyway, even if someone wants to try to access some files on your computer through one of those messenger programs, he can't do that unless you give him permission. Of course, there are some other ways, but that's why everyone should install little router/firewall. Everyone knows by now that those are totaly inexpensive nowadays.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 02:52:33 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2004, 02:53:38 AM »
Why would Alwil include it anyway if there is no use of it ?
Basicly there is no use for it, if it wasn't for all those "idiot" users (no offense ment) who do not know how to handle a system.

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2004, 03:02:49 AM »
Well, there is a huge difference in our opinion regarding this issue. Millions of people uses MSN messenger and other programs like MSN messenger to comunicate from the one part of the planet to the other... I wouldn't say, they are "idiots". There are many fresh/new computer users who would like to be able to comunicate that way with their friends or families... most likely they are just unexperienced, and they just need to learn about this stuff a little bit more. How can they learn if they don't ask just like our new forum member Jonte asked in this thread ? That doesn't make him idiot, that's for sure. It's better to ask, then be stubborn and make mistake after mistake after mistake... You started someohow Eddy, and I'm sure you didn't know a lot of stuff when you started, but with the time, you learned... so, let others learn by asking. We are here to help them. I answered exactly what he asked, so I don't see the point of this contention.

And to be true, I'm really not aware of many that had such a huge problems with messeging programs, except those who really don't care about their security... but, I don't care about them, if they don't care about themselves. They all should ask like Jonte if they are intereseted in something, if they want to learn... ignorance is not bliss after all  ;)

Btw, tell to Alwil that their Instant Messenger provider is useless. Maybe they will remove it in some of the future releases... ::) Alwil, don't get me wrong, I didn't say that and I don't believe it's true anyway.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 03:09:40 AM by S.Z.Craftec »

lee16

« Reply #6 on: December 27, 2004, 11:59:50 AM »
I think what Eddy is trying to say is, learn more about a system before using these programs, and don't accept files from people you don't know.

But anyway, back on topic, if im not mistaken you only need to add ashquick.exe to msn for scanning viruses if your using a win9x OS, because its set up automaticly in Win2000/NT/XP.

--lee
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 12:00:10 PM by lee16 »

galooma

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2004, 12:36:33 PM »
I would have thought downloaded files would be scanned by avast without any need for interference or command and in the case of a downloaded program would be scanned again when the installation was instigated . I dont understand what Jonte is asking or more to the point why? :-\

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #8 on: December 27, 2004, 02:06:01 PM »
I think what Eddy is trying to say is, learn more about a system before using these programs, and don't accept files from people you don't know.

No, it's not what Eddy was saying... he specifically said "idiots". I know what he was saying. Reread his reply.

ginblossom wrote:
...I dont understand what Jonte is asking or more to the point why?

Because he found this option under MSN messenger options, and he wants to enter corresponding path for the avast! file that will scan files as soon as they are downloaded. At least you always see that little avast! pop-up window alarming you that avast! is scanning your files. Otherwise you won't see anything.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: December 27, 2004, 02:27:44 PM »
Basicly there is no use for it, if it wasn't for all those "idiot" users (no offense ment) who do not know how to handle a system.

What happened with you today Eddy?  :-[
That is a feature, a possibility, why do you call the user an idiot?  :( :P
The best things in life are free.

Jonte

« Reply #10 on: December 27, 2004, 05:46:11 PM »
LOL - I just wanted an reply - wasn't hoping that ppl would get all fired up.
Well, no - my avast! did not automatically put in the path itself, so thanks Craftec :) I only run the freeware of avast! so that can also be why I had to manually edit it.

Thanks again!

ADD: Oh, btw - I don't let unknown ppl send me files - but I feel it is a security risk not having anything scanning through the files on my comp. My friends' comps might not find anything - but if avast! would find something on my comp - I'd sure be glad I put it in.
« Last Edit: December 27, 2004, 05:47:20 PM by Jonte »

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #11 on: December 27, 2004, 06:02:46 PM »
Well, no - my avast! did not automatically put in the path itself, so thanks Craftec :) I only run the freeware of avast! so that can also be why I had to manually edit it.

No, avast won't put that string in (Home or Pro).

It is an option within MSN to scan files that you having selected, the same as what directory to store files if you want to change it must enter the location.

avast doesn't know you want to scan files in MSN. The same as MSN doesn't know the path to your virus program if you want them scanned, you must enter it.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

S.Z.Craftec

« Reply #12 on: December 27, 2004, 08:58:29 PM »
LOL - I just wanted an reply - wasn't hoping that ppl would get all fired up.
Well, no - my avast! did not automatically put in the path itself, so thanks Craftec :)

No, we are not fired up... we all are good friends in these forums, beside we are part of avast! forums technical support... it's just, some people sometimes don't have enough time or nerves to repeat answers over and over again. I have, so I answered to you, and I still believe this thread could be ended immediately after my first reply... why ? Beacause you asked, I gave you an answer and that's it. We could avoid all this saga for nothing in a second...

Cheers !