Author Topic: Created/Modified  (Read 12641 times)

Lucky Strike

Created/Modified
« on: March 10, 2004, 12:58:13 PM »
Hi there! I would just like to say thank you for this wonderful piece of software and great forum support.

While browsing the forum I noticed somebody claimed that adding file types into Scan Created/Modified->Default Extension Set wouldn't work unless one edits the .ini file (that's how I understood it). However, the person stated that wouldn't give the example. I wish somebody could spill some knowledge on the subject if possible.

Thanks again,
Stas

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Re:Created/Modified
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2004, 01:06:06 PM »
Maybe you are looking for this thread  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Lucky Strike

« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2004, 01:17:56 PM »
I guess that's that. Thanks a lot! I wonder how you manage to react that quick ::)

Datagg

« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2004, 01:27:56 PM »
Its becuase we cwaaaaaazy in love with avast and all of its children.... :o

Lucky Strike

« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2004, 02:51:27 PM »
I'd hate to bother you with stupid questions, however, I didn't notice much difference with .xml file edited. avast! (home) alarmed on opening eicar.zip in both cases, whether file was edited or original. I might be getting something wrong... Could you please explain?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2004, 08:54:22 PM »
I'd hate to bother you with stupid questions, however, I didn't notice much difference with .xml file edited. avast! (home) alarmed on opening eicar.zip in both cases, whether file was edited or original. I might be getting something wrong... Could you please explain?

I do not understand what you are asking... Could you rephrase?
Sorry  ::)

Lucky Strike

« Reply #6 on: March 11, 2004, 01:11:57 AM »
Windows 2000 SP4 and all the critical updates since then.

From the thread you referred to, Technical, I assumed that after one adds the line

<STANDARD--ScanPackers>EXE;ZIP;MIME;RAR;ARJ;TAR;GZ</STANDARD--ScanPackers>

after the line
<STANDARD--InvalidEntry>1</STANDARD--InvalidEntry>

in DefTasks.xml file avast! would scan zip files as you click on them (This is how I see "on access", correct me if I'm wrong). Mine doesn't.
However, it shoots a virus alert at the moment I try to download eicar_com.zip. Once I "OK" the alert and download it I can click it and see what's inside the archive, no more virus alerts. Added the line to that .xml or not. What exactly this file edit gives?

Hope this makes sense this time ;)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: March 11, 2004, 02:24:43 AM »
I think that you won't be able to download the eicar .zip or .com files if you scan the file just after the download (for instance, if you use a download manager, you can add c:\ avast folder \ashquick.exe without parameters).

If not, when you try to 'extract' the .zip file the on-access scanner will caught the infected files. If you run the .com files either.
Look, to 'see' what is inside the zip is different from 'open' (extract) the infected files. Just 'see' a file that is already on your HDD won't execute the viral code and won't be detected.

I think this is the normal behavior (in easy words). Hope this help.

Lucky Strike

« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2004, 02:39:36 AM »
Got it. Just wouldn't silently extract. Thanks.

The original question came out from the message Posted on: March 07, 2004, 09:08:59 PM, from RejZor to faffy. Message no. 16 here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?action=search2

It says that the additional list of creaded/modified file types one inserts into Standard Shield is "useless in Home Edition unless you changed archive scanning parameters in avast! system file".

Is the system file they're talking about DefTasks.xml?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2004, 02:59:18 AM »
I think so...
Besides this, you can set a lot of parameters (configurations) of avast in another file: avast4.ini file. If you seach the forum by avast4.ini file and my name you will find a list of configurations of avast.  :D

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 11, 2004, 02:49:28 PM »
I think so...
Besides this, you can set a lot of parameters (configurations) of avast in another file: avast4.ini file. If you seach the forum by avast4.ini file and my name you will find a list of configurations of avast.  :D

I found the link for it: http://www.avast.com/forum/index.php?board=2;action=display;threadid=1647  ;)

stevejrc

« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2004, 06:19:47 PM »
bit confused here: without editing the .ini file, does adding to the additional extensions list do anything at all? does it not even scan non archived files? if so whats the point having the list?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #12 on: March 11, 2004, 06:52:44 PM »
steve, what do you mean that not even archive files are being scanned? You mean on-access or on-demand? How is the sensibility level of scanning that you are using? I'm confuse now...

stevejrc

« Reply #13 on: March 11, 2004, 06:58:13 PM »
I mean on-access (resident standard shield). When I saw the subject:

"While browsing the forum I noticed somebody claimed that adding file types into Scan Created/Modified->Default Extension Set wouldn't work unless one edits the .ini file"

I was confused as to what this means. Do you have to edit the ini file to enable archive file scanning and for non archive files too?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #14 on: March 11, 2004, 07:08:18 PM »
I mean on-access (resident standard shield). When I saw the subject:

"While browsing the forum I noticed somebody claimed that adding file types into Scan Created/Modified->Default Extension Set wouldn't work unless one edits the .ini file"

I was confused as to what this means. Do you have to edit the ini file to enable archive file scanning and for non archive files too?

I see, you must edit the deftask.xml and not the avast4.ini file. You do not have to edit the ini file to scan archives. You have to edit the deftask.xml if you have only the Home version (not Professional) and want that all the archives files were scanned on-access. To scan 'all' files on-access you must write an * into the text box for extensions (if I'm not wrong). This will consume a lot of resources of your system.