Author Topic: How do I scan a downloaded file?  (Read 11287 times)

midway

How do I scan a downloaded file?
« on: April 09, 2004, 11:50:59 PM »
 Hope you didn't fall off your chair as you read the subject line. I have Avast 4.1 Home, Build 357--and I don't know how to use it ... at least, I don't know how to handle this situation: I am thinking of downloading a free screen saver, but I am afraid of getting a virus. How do I use Avast to protect myself?

Offline .: Mac :.

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Ultra Poster
Re:How do I scan a downloaded file?
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2004, 01:25:25 AM »
file is scanned as you save the file to disk. but if you feel the need to scan agian. right click the file and there will be an option to scan with avast
"People who are really serious about software should make their own hardware." - Alan Kay

midway

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2004, 01:31:18 AM »
 My, that's easy! Thank you very much for the quick and helpful reply.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2004, 04:14:57 AM »
Midway, if you use a download manager, you can add:
C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe into its settings (without any other parameter).

The downloaded file will be scanned as soon the download finishes...  ;)
The best things in life are free.

midway

« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2004, 03:06:31 PM »
 Thanks, Technical. Now ... what is a download manager? I have Download Accelerator Plus. Is that a download manager? And ... I have no idea of how to do what you suggested.

MHJ

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2004, 03:15:58 PM »
I have Download Accelerator Plus. Is that a download manager?

Yes it is! Just try to find it by yourself. This question you made is not related to the avast! products. Get Newbie-Help elsewhere please. I think anyway that you are just kidding. I never heard a newbie didn't even know how to use an antivirus program or download manager.  8)

shgoh

« Reply #6 on: April 10, 2004, 03:28:22 PM »
Yes it is! Just try to find it by yourself. This question you made is not related to the avast! products. Get Newbie-Help elsewhere please. I think anyway that you are just kidding. I never heard a newbie didn't even know how to use an antivirus program or download manager.  8)

no worries midway...we would be happy to help even it's non avast-related... ;)

welcome to the family of avast!!

relax mhj....we are here to help each other... :)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2004, 03:36:25 PM by shgoh »

midway

« Reply #7 on: April 10, 2004, 04:13:02 PM »
 Thanks, shgob, for your reply. And thanks, too, for your note to mhj. I have posted numerous questions on this board, and everyone who has replied always has been very polite--as well as helpful.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: April 10, 2004, 08:22:24 PM »
Thanks, shgob, for your reply. And thanks, too, for your note to mhj. I have posted numerous questions on this board, and everyone who has replied always has been very polite--as well as helpful.

Midway, Download Accelerator is a download manager.
I used in the past and I'm not sure I remember but, you may have in the settings a 'files' monitoring tab where you can set what is your antivirus program.
Do you have winzip? See Options > Configuration > Program location > Optional virus scanner.

If you had Flashget as a Download Manager: Tools > Options > File manager > use virus scanner to scan the download file(s)

midway

« Reply #9 on: April 10, 2004, 11:50:56 PM »
 I appreciate your leading me by the hand on this. Thanks to Technical, I checked out my DAP and found I had a very old version. After downloading the current version, I followed the directions to set it up for virus scan. At one point, however, there is a rectangular box labeled "Anti-Virus Executable." You are supposed to click the "Browse" button to find your anti-virus program and get it into that rectangular box. I did so and got Alwil Software, which I opened, and I got Avast4, which I opened. That brought up a bunch of folders and other Avast things that mystify me. There's another box labeled "Open." I don't know what to do next. Can you help? Or is the something I just type into that rectangular box labeled Anti-Virus Executable to get  Avast in there?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2004, 05:20:06 AM »
There's another box labeled "Open." I don't know what to do next. Can you help? Or is the something I just type into that rectangular box labeled Anti-Virus Executable to get  Avast in there?

You can type: C:\Program files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashQuick.exe
If you used the default folder installation. If not, find the folder Avast4 and choose the file ashQuick.exe

I think you can browse, find the file and click open but I'm not sure because I cannot 'see' that window.

midway

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2004, 05:48:48 PM »
 Thanks, Technical. I saw that file earlier among the things that mystified me. When I clicked on it a few minutes ago and then clicked "Open," the whole path you mentioned showed up in DAP's rectangular box, so I'm all set. As usual, you folks who contribute your time and expertise to this message board have been extremely helpful--and very much appreciated by this particular Newbie!

CoJo

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2004, 08:21:32 PM »
I have Download Accelerator Plus. Is that a download manager?

MHJ, yes, there are newbies who don't know...I was one of them...and we all start somewhere!

And we give each other support--no matter what is needed, there is an answer...even if it is off topic.

cojo

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: April 12, 2004, 03:29:51 AM »
As usual, you folks who contribute your time and expertise to this message board have been extremely helpful--and very much appreciated by this particular Newbie!

You're not a newbie anymore!
Wellcome Jr. Member  ;)