Author Topic: ** INTRODUCING: avast! Mobile Security 2 Beta ** [NOW UPDATED TO 2.0.2709]  (Read 116118 times)

Offline Jan Gahura

• Avast team
    • ALWIL Software
Hi all,

We're glad to introduce new major version of the avast! Free Mobile Security. There wasn't a program update since April for a reason. We've worked hard to prepare bunch of new features. The most important one is the avast! Anti-Theft web portal integrated into the avast! Account which allows remote control of your device from a web browser.There are also other improvements like the Network Meter, avast! SiteCorrect, Real-time protection of executed apps, widget, slightly optimized UI for tablets and many more.     

We are kicking off a public beta here. As we don't plan to put the beta product on the Google Play store, you'll have to watch this thread for updates. The avast! Mobile Security and avast! Anti-Theft APKs will be pinned here and are intended to be installed manually to your devices. The definitions database will be of course updated automatically.

New Features
  • avast! Anti-Theft web portal integrated into the avast! Account
  • Network Meter
  • avast! widget
  • Optimized UI for tablets
  • Real-time protection (on-exec scanning) of apps
  • Custom rules and log in the firewall
  • The shield control UI to fine-tune on-access security setup
  • avast! SiteCorrect for the Web Shield
  • Scanning of incoming messages
  • SMS/Call filter wildcards
  • Greyscale notification icon (yay!)

System Requirements
To run avast! Free Mobile Security your device must meet the following criteria.

Operating Systems Supported
Android 2.1.x
Android 2.2.x
Android 2.3.x
Android 3.x
Android 4.0.x
Experimental support for Android 4.1.x

Minimum Hardware Requirements
Any phone or tablet capable of running a supported system

Other considerations
If you have any comments of feedback, please start a new topic and/or respond to an existing one rather than bloating this particular thread.

Download
avast! Mobile Security: http://public.avast.com/~gahura/AvastMobileSecurity_2_Beta2.apk
avast! Anti-Theft: http://public.avast.com/~gahura/AvastAntiTheft_2_Beta2.apk

UPDATE
8/15/2012 - avast! Mobile Security 2 Beta 2 (2.0.2709)

We've released new beta of avast! Mobile Security 2. The change log is:
  • PIN recovery added
  • better diagnosis for connection to portal issues
  • better support for Jelly bean
  • improved functionality for IPv6 (rooted)

Thanks,
Jan
« Last Edit: August 15, 2012, 08:03:07 PM by Jan Gahura »

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Re: ** INTRODUCING: avast! Mobile Security 2 Beta **
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2012, 06:26:57 PM »
To update your current AMS/AT installation(s) to new betas:

1) Go to your device Settings into Applications (or a similar name) and check "Unknown sources" checkbox.
2) Put the APK files to your device (either by downloading them directly or putting them to your SD card using your computer).
3) Click on the APK file(s), an installation dialog should appear. Accept the installation dialog to install the apps.
(Or instead of 2+3 you can use "adb install -r <apk filename>" directly from your computer if you have USB debugging enabled.)

To install a fresh new copy of AMS 2.0 (and AT of course):

0) Uninstall previous copies of AMS and/or AT. And follow the update guide above.
(Or instead of 2+3 you can use "adb install <apk filename>" directly from your computer if you have USB debugging enabled.)

NOTE: Do not use the Anti-Theft installation wizard since it won't download the beta Anti-Theft package.

Filip
« Last Edit: July 25, 2012, 07:34:10 AM by Filip Havlicek »

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2012, 09:03:22 PM »
Thank you for your great work. :)
I am testing it right now :D
« Last Edit: July 19, 2012, 09:09:20 PM by zombiezoom »

Gibraltar

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2012, 09:13:01 PM »
Just updated and configured to the latest beta :)

cooby

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2012, 03:17:50 AM »
Did you see "http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101642.0" in Jan Gahura's announcement called "Other considerations"?

If this thread got locked, we wouldn't have to look in two places for comments :)

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2012, 07:43:23 AM »
Did you see "http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=101642.0" in Jan Gahura's announcement called "Other considerations"?

If this thread got locked, we wouldn't have to look in two places for comments :)

I will move all feedback posts to their own topics to keep this clean and organized.

evilta711

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2012, 03:09:56 PM »
Hello -

Thanks for the opportunity to run the beta software! I do have one concern/question however:

Is the expected behavior that the screen stays on when the phone has been remotely locked from the web portal?

I gave it about 5 minutes to turn off and it did not - this would drain the battery very quickly.

Phone is a HTC Rezound, running ICS

- Steve

Aeefire

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2012, 03:26:04 PM »
Hey guys,

I am running a Cyanogen Mod 10 preview build of Jelly Bean 4.1.1 for the HTC One X (International, Quadcore). I have experienced a massive battery drain - this MIGHT not be directly related to your app but still the battery stats show strange behaviour of avast.

Just look at this: i.imgur.com/hJsc4.jpg

edit: on the HTC One X with ICS there were no issues so far.

Offline Ondra Cermak

• AMS
  • Avast team
« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2012, 07:30:34 PM »
Hi Aeefire,

this is really weird. Can you tell us what exactly have you enabled and tried in AMS? You can also try disabling Network Meter (in the Settings), which is the only thing that does something periodically and could possibly cause this, although we haven't had any problems with it.

Ondra

Eddy315west

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2012, 07:12:24 AM »
how do i uninstall this anti theft beta ? i installed from sd card do i re run the apk to uninstall?

svehlak

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2012, 09:43:42 PM »
Just undo it in device administrators and uninstall via application manager; if there is no application named antitheft, try milky way.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2012, 11:27:31 PM »
Installed perfectly on aokp milestone 6 with Samsung Galaxy Nexus.
I'll try later on CyanogenMod at the same phone.

All features seems to be translated and working here.
The best things in life are free.

Aeefire

« Reply #12 on: July 23, 2012, 04:17:13 PM »
Hi Aeefire,

this is really weird. Can you tell us what exactly have you enabled and tried in AMS? You can also try disabling Network Meter (in the Settings), which is the only thing that does something periodically and could possibly cause this, although we haven't had any problems with it.

Ondra

Issue seems to got solved either by your update or by the newer version of the customROM. However, it's gone.

nicesoni_ash

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2012, 08:05:21 PM »
Hi..

I have been using your last final version... and thought to try this one since this is much better considering it's options...

I tried with Anti theft and it went well too.. What I want to ask is, how to install it root based so it won't get wiped out in case of hard reset or something.. In your earlier version, Mobile security app does the task to install it root based but while installing through anti theft only, there is no such options.

Would like to know a way ..

Thanks.

Buford T. Justice

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2012, 10:23:41 PM »
Nice.  Any chance of adding an option to access the cameras on the phone so one can view where the phone is and take pictures?