Author Topic: Avast free not updating  (Read 6711 times)

ser2012

Avast free not updating
« on: July 02, 2012, 02:26:25 PM »
my Avast free is not updating.
It is set to update automatically. My settings are as follows (in settings--->updates):

engine and virus definitions
- automatic update

program
- automatic update

update parameters
- my computer is permanently connected to the internet

details
- show notification box after automatic update
- show notification box if an error occurs
auto update interval
- auto-update every 240min

proxy Settings
- Auto detect (use internet explorer settings)

Also I tried to update manually, but nothing happens. It seems stopping before starting, at the following stage:
Updating--->step1/2  "initializing, please wait..."

My current Avast version: 5.0.462
My o.s. : Windows XP

true indian

Re: Avast free not updating
« Reply #1 on: July 02, 2012, 02:36:12 PM »
are u yet using version 5??

version 7 is out!

uninstall your avast using tool here: www.avast.com/unintall-utility

then download the new avast from here: avast.com and install it
« Last Edit: July 02, 2012, 03:08:02 PM by true indian »

ser2012

« Reply #2 on: July 02, 2012, 03:05:28 PM »
Thanks,
but i can't see any tools at the link you suggested (www.avast.com/virus-update-history)

true indian

« Reply #3 on: July 02, 2012, 03:08:15 PM »
edited my previous post and corrected the link :)

ser2012

« Reply #4 on: July 02, 2012, 03:26:13 PM »
thanks, but i suppose you should edit it again  :) , the correct link is at http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility

Anyway, I'd like to know if is it possible update it to avast! Free Antivirus 7.x  without uninstalling the old version.
Now I'm reading in support knowledgebase some tips to uninstall (see the following:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=12

but i'm afraid i am not enough tech skilled to understand what it meant and perform it

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #5 on: July 02, 2012, 05:32:40 PM »

Anyway, I'd like to know if is it possible update it to avast! Free Antivirus 7.x  without uninstalling the old version.
Now I'm reading in support knowledgebase some tips to uninstall (see the following:

https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=12

but i'm afraid i am not enough tech skilled to understand what it meant and perform it
It would be a better move to perform a clean install when upgrading from an old version such as what you have, easy to follow the instructions here http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility .

If possible try uninstalling avast via remove programs first then run the tool in safemode, reboot when completed and install the latest version 7.0.1451 http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe

ser2012

« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2012, 03:22:32 AM »
when I try to start Windows XP in safe mode, i have to choose one of the many options.
I tried the first 3 options (safe mode, safe mode with network, safe mode with commands prompt) but for each of them I get the message "Input not supported" and so unable to start Windows. 
If I choose the safe mode option "Last known good configuration" Windows starts but when I try to run the aswClear tool I get the following error message:

"The avast self protection module is enabled. For this reason the operation cannot be completed.
To complete this operation, either run this program from Windows Safe Mode,or disable the avast! self protection (via Settings-->troubleshooting page)"

is there any ways to solve it?

Thanks for your help

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #7 on: July 03, 2012, 09:21:35 AM »
when I try to start Windows XP in safe mode, i have to choose one of the many options.
I tried the first 3 options (safe mode, safe mode with network, safe mode with commands prompt) but for each of them I get the message "Input not supported" and so unable to start Windows. 
If I choose the safe mode option "Last known good configuration" Windows starts but when I try to run the aswClear tool I get the following error message:

"The avast self protection module is enabled. For this reason the operation cannot be completed.
To complete this operation, either run this program from Windows Safe Mode,or disable the avast! self protection (via Settings-->troubleshooting page)"

is there any ways to solve it?

Please do as writen in the last paragraph "disable the avast! self protection (via Settings-->troubleshooting page)" then you should be able to uninstall normally through add remove programs, once completed you can then try the safe mode option to clean up.

If you still cant get into safe mode then you can manually remove avast leftovers in  Program Files and Documents and Settings before installing new version.

ser2012

« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2012, 09:44:07 AM »
Thanks craigb for your last suggestion, but then I managed to get it started in safe mode by using another monitor (it seems the problem was with my monitor).

I uninstalled avast with aswClear tool and then installed the latest avast free version. I downloaded this version after following the link, suggested by avast.com, leading to cnet.download.com website. (the version is 7.0.1451, hopefully it is the latest one)
Now, it seems everything is fine.

Thanks

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #9 on: July 03, 2012, 11:29:23 AM »
Your welcome :) i did supply you a download link for the latest version in reply 5 to make it easyer for you but yes 7.0.1451 is the latest version.

J.Stalin

« Reply #10 on: July 03, 2012, 09:27:16 PM »
You can see the guy has Win XP. Not very polite advising him to update to a version that will screw up his pc.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #11 on: July 03, 2012, 09:59:05 PM »
You can see the guy has Win XP. Not very polite advising him to update to a version that will screw up his pc.
Avast is working fine on the several xp systems iv installed it on, i have'nt heard any complaints yet anyway.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #12 on: July 03, 2012, 11:39:31 PM »

Problems fixed in Version 7.0.1456..!! ;)
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0