Author Topic: Version 7 is a disaster  (Read 16570 times)

SDAberle

Version 7 is a disaster
« on: July 05, 2012, 02:00:07 AM »
I think I'm done. Since installing Avast Free version 7.0.1451, I have experienced:
- Initial inability to log on to Windows 7 due to black screen
- Sporadic inability to open Firefox and Thunderbird
- Sporadic Firefox crashes
- Slow performance and sporadic freezes of Internet Explorer
- Unexpected sandboxing (of applications I've written)
- Frozen black screen when hibernating,  requiring hard power down to re-activate
- Inability to connect to WiFi
- Inability to open Windows Network & Sharing Center
- Inability to run Windows networking troubleshooter
- Frozen update of engine and virus definitions (stuck on 0% of step 1 of 3)
- Loss of Windows desktop

Do I have definitive proof that all these problems stem from Avast? No, but nothing else on my system has changed and these are all new problems. I see there's a new build, 1456. Maybe if the currently running version would update to it properly, I'd give it a try. Maybe I should just uninstall Avast and download the new version. Or maybe the time has come to give up. This update has been a wretchedly frustrating experience and I think I've just about lost interest. I can't be bothered to flog this poor sad horse any longer.

Offline Gopher John

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Version 7 is a disaster
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2012, 03:22:32 AM »
Only you can decide. ::)
AMD A6-5350M APU with Radeon HD Graphics, 8.0GB RAM, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE11
i7-3610QM 2.3GHZ, 8.0GB Ram,  Nvidia GeForce GT 630M 2GB, Win7 Pro SP1 64bit, IE 11
Common to both: Avast Premium Security 19.7.2388, WinPatrol Plus, SpywareBlaster 5.5, Opera 12.18, Firefox 68.0.2, MBam Free, CCleaner

robertmb

« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2012, 03:47:13 AM »
Is it weird that all of these troubles popped up only recently?
I think these last few updates are wretched. something is wrong with the code.

avastusertboots

« Reply #3 on: July 05, 2012, 04:53:15 AM »
I would also like to note -

I've been getting that "You're almost finished! Would you like to install Google Chrome?" notification on every start-up since I opted in for the free trial (stupid stupid stupid!).

I uncheck -make Google Chrome my default browser, and I uncheck -install Google Chrome. Then I hit finish. Theoretically, this should vote me out of GC...

Lo and behold, upon start-up the next day (or later that day), the SAME window pops up.

So tired of repeating myself on every start-up.

Does anyone have a solution-?

Thanks.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #4 on: July 05, 2012, 07:23:32 AM »
I propose the best option is to do what is called a 'clean' install of Avast!

Do all work of uninstalling and installing the clean version of Avast! whilst offline, never online.

If version of Avast! is paid, not free, be sure to get or find the license copy for it before you begin.

Get latest copy of Avast 7.0.1456 here:  http://www.avast.com/en-us/index  and get the copy of aswclear.exe here:  http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility  Follow the instructions on this page, and be sure to download this copy only to your desktop.

You might want to have a look at this over here:  https://support.avast.com/index.php?languageid=1&group=eng&_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=574

and here:  http://singularlabs.com/uninstallers/security-software/

Left over remnants of old/never used antivirus programs can/will conflict with the new antivirus you just installed.  This would include an antivirus program that came with the new computer but you never used it, say, for example, Norton, with a trial period.

Try to uninstall Avast! using Add/Remove.  Sometimes this does not work.  Even if it does, there are remnants still left behind.

THEN:

Run aswclear.exe in safe mode for every version of Avast! you have ever had, beginning with version 7, then version 6, etc.  Reboot after removal of each version, go back to safe mode, and repeat for each version.

When ready to install Avast! after the last reboot, install in normal mode. 

Use the custom install option so you can bypass install of Chrome.

Just watch for the window that will pop up after completion of install after system restart to ensure Chrome will not be installed.  Click finish.

Tip:  Anytime Avast! upgrades to a newer build number, (Example:  4.8, 5.0, 6.0, 7.0) always be ready to do a clean install.  If paid, be sure to have the license info handy.  If free, registering will give you another year subscription.

Reason is, each new build comes with more features, and advanced features at that, so updating within the program is not your best choice with a build change.

Clean install is.

Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Dch48

« Reply #5 on: July 05, 2012, 08:27:25 AM »
I updated from the GUI on all three machines and there are no problems on any of them. There was one issue in build 1451 but it was easily worked around and has been fixed in 1456. I give v7 a big thumbs up.

Offline mchain

• Avast Evangelist
  • Ultra Poster
  • Spartan Warrior
« Reply #6 on: July 05, 2012, 08:50:21 AM »
To clarify, just so no one here misunderstands, a build, to me, for example, is 6.0., and the version of that build would be 6.0.1589 or 6.0.4026.  Updating within a build should not really ever be a problem as long as the original install of that build went smoothly.  One would just be updating the version of that build in that case.

Not all users experience problems updating Avast! within the program, but for those that do, and want to keep using the a/v program without the buggy/defective behavior, a clean install especially when upgrading to a higher build is probably best.  Doing it this way should get rid of old/conflicting files, corruption, etc., and lead to a better user experience one should expect from the get go.
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 08:55:35 AM by mchain »
Windows 10 Home 64-bit 22H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.1.6099 (build 24.1.88821.762)  UI version 1.0.797
 UI version 1.0.788.  Windows 11 Home 23H2 - Windows 11 Pro 23H2 Avast Premier Security version 24.2.6105 (build 24.1.8918.827) UI version 1.0.801

Offline RejZoR

• Polymorphic Sheep
  • Serious Graphoman
  • We are supersheep, resistance is futile!
    • RejZoR's Flock of Sheep
« Reply #7 on: July 05, 2012, 09:24:10 AM »
Considering how many problems you have at once, it is safe to say something else is seriously wrong with your system...
Visit my webpage Angry Sheep Blog

SafeSurf

« Reply #8 on: July 05, 2012, 09:43:50 AM »
I would also recommend an uninstall and clean install as well:

1. Save a copy of Avast and save it to your HDD:
Avast Free AV:    http://files.avast.com/iavs5x/avast_free_antivirus_setup.exe
2. Download the Avast Uninstall Utility http://www.avast.com/uninstall-utility and save it to your HDD. 
3. Disconnect from the Internet at this time.
4. Go into Safe Mode (hit F8 repeatedly) and run the Avast Uninstall Tool. Uninstall ALL previous versions and products of Avast you had on this machine and reboot in between each uninstall. 
6. Reboot.
7. Install the newest version of Avast and reboot.
8. Get Internet access and register your copy or add the license key for Free, Pro, or AIS online.
    Free – http://www.avast.com/registration-free-antivirus.php
9. Update the Avast definitions.

Knowledge based article:
https://support.avast.com/index.php?_m=knowledgebase&_a=viewarticle&kbarticleid=504#idt_0003

After getting Avast working, I suggest you use something to clean your machine like CCleaner Slim version with no toolbars http://www.piriform.com/ccleaner/builds to clean your machine.  You can also check your Registry, but make a back up in Documents prior to doing any "fixes" as a just in case.

Make sure your software, Windows, browser and plug-ins are also up to date as well.  Check to make sure your firewall is not blocking anything with Avast once you reinstall it.

Let us know how this goes for you.  Thank you.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #9 on: July 05, 2012, 12:29:57 PM »
I've read quite a few of the threads about problems with the last avast version. In fact the news is starting to spread. I heard about it elsewhere. The last version I installed was 7.0.1426 back in March. I had noticed the nags about new versions recently and am just now finally getting around to investigating.

It sounds like a nightmare for some people, not for others, somewhat reminiscent of 7.0.1407 which only survived for 2 weeks before my 7.0.1426 was released. Now 7.0.1456 comes only 5 days on the heels of 7.0.1451. Here's the recent release history:
     Version 7.0.1456  2012-07-03
     Version 7.0.1451  2012-06-28
     Version 7.0.1426  2012-03-07
     Version 7.0.1407  2012-02-23
     Version 6.0.1367  2011-11-28
IIRC I had to use the avast uninstall tool and download/install 7.0.1426 cleanly. That's a bit of trouble because then I must go through and reset everything like I want. But it's probably most reliable. Now I'm getting ready to do the same with Version 7.0.1456. I have the new uninstall tool downloaded, and note it has changed since last year. I've also downloaded 7.0.1456.418, which I notice is getting bigger and bigger, now up to 85 MB! I suppose the extra .418 at the end is the build number.

So should I do it that way, or risk a simple update from within the 7.0.1426 GUI? I think I'll try the latter after first making a Restore Point on my computer, just in case I get trashed. Then I'll report back here with my results and followup. I'm running XP Home SP3 on this computer. I have a couple of other computers to update too, but I'll do this one first. Wish me luck!  ;D

SafeSurf

« Reply #10 on: July 05, 2012, 12:48:03 PM »
I would make a Restore Point, then do the uninstall (yes it is a new uninstaller from last year).  And use the Custom Install for Avast.  If you do NOT want Chrome as your default browser, make sure you unclick the box in the lower left corner of the install window so it does not get installed.  Also under Custom install, you can opt-out of anything else you do not want to install (if memory is an issue or you just don't want it).  Make sure you reboot after you install!

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #11 on: July 05, 2012, 01:34:35 PM »
It sounds like a nightmare for some people, not for others, somewhat reminiscent of 7.0.1407 which only survived for 2 weeks before my 7.0.1426 was released. Now 7.0.1456 comes only 5 days on the heels of 7.0.1451. Here's the recent release history:
     Version 7.0.1456  2012-07-03
     Version 7.0.1451  2012-06-28
     Version 7.0.1426  2012-03-07
     Version 7.0.1407  2012-02-23
     Version 6.0.1367  2011-11-28
Program updates is a sign that we're moving forward. Static software does not improve.
Among 180 million users, some of the computers will have problems for sure...

I think I'll try the latter after first making a Restore Point on my computer, just in case I get trashed.
System restore is not reliable in most cases. Better if you make a full partition/disk image ;)
The best things in life are free.

JohnnyBob

« Reply #12 on: July 05, 2012, 02:05:09 PM »
I decided on Plan B and did a direct update to 7.0.1456 from within the 7.0.1426 GUI. Apparently I lucked out, so far so good.  I've been through 4-5 computer reboots and it seems stable.

The only avast setting that was changed spontaneously was "Participate in the avast community". That box was unchecked originally, and got checked during the update. Restoring my settings from my backup .config file didn't affect it. I had to change it back manually.

Reading other recent threads, I was worried about getting Chrome installed involuntarily but that didn't happen. However I noted something unusual which could be the cause of that anomoly...(?)

After doing the update then restarting my computer as requested, the box popped up where I had to uncheck the "install Chrome" options. So I unchecked them. At about the same time, I got an unusual warning from my firewall. Something named "avast! Emergency Update" was wanting to access the internet and also requested server rights. I have never seen this module before in prior avast versions:
    Product name        avast! Antivirus
   File name           C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe
   Last policy update  Not applicable
   Version             7.0.1456.418
   Last modified date  7/3/2012 11:21:30
   File size           241 KB

I allowed it to access the internet but denied it server rights. I believe this bears further investigation. It is always suspicious when something wants server rights. Why? Your guess is as good as mine, but it could relate to spontaneous installation of Chrome without user permission (just a wild guess).

iroc9555

« Reply #13 on: July 05, 2012, 02:11:01 PM »
I got an unusual warning from my firewall. Something named "avast! Emergency Update" was wanting to access the internet and also requested server rights. I have never seen this module before in prior avast versions:
    Product name        avast! Antivirus
   File name           C:\Program Files\AVAST Software\Avast\AvastEmUpdate.exe
   Last policy update  Not applicable
   Version             7.0.1456.418
   Last modified date  7/3/2012 11:21:30
   File size           241 KB

New feature for the use of Avast! team. It will push an emergency update if none is detected in your machine in 12 hrs. Nothing to be concerned about it.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=100291.msg801112#msg801112
« Last Edit: July 05, 2012, 02:13:32 PM by iroc9555 »

JohnnyBob

« Reply #14 on: July 05, 2012, 09:33:21 PM »
That sounds highly intrusive. I don't want anything pushed on me! What if I don't want an update?

I run some very sensitive software that can't be interrupted so I only update Avast every few days. Is it going to override my settings in that regard? Can it be uninstalled? If not, how can I turn it off? Presumably I can block it with my firewall, but I don't want to have to goto that much trouble.

Avast is really becoming a major PITA with recent changes... I'm going to take another look at MSE and AVG.