What does this message cover?
Auto installation of Google Chrome browser without user agreement during avast! Antivirus installation or during program update of avast! AntivirusWhen does the issue appear (and how)?
So far we have noticed these two scenarios, but is possible that we aren't aware of any other. This is based on user reports and my experience, scenarios may differ from one case to another in small details.
1. The confirmation dialog appears after the update (and reboot), but doesn't have checkbox for Google Chrome installation (Google Chrome has already installed itself)
2. The confirmation dialog appears after the update (and reboot) but disappears very quickly and since checkboxes are ticked by default, Google Chrome gets auto installed without user confirmationWhat is going on!?
This is by no means an evil plan of avast! Software to auto install Google Chrome regardless of what users want or approve. The problem is a bug that avast! Software is probably well aware, but trust me, without in-depth info, such things are very hard to reproduce (repeat in their software lab).
This issue also happened on 1 out of 3 systems that i have as well, after several program updates that worked without any issues or Google Chrome auto installations without my confirmation. avast! itself and installer are a complex programs and as such, there is always chance that for some users, things won't work as expected.Why isn't avast! Software responding?
Trust me, they are testing and collecting data as we speak, but unfortunately without extra info they cannot do much for now. Instead of ranting and threatening avast! Software, try to fill in as much info as possible to solve this issue once and for all, so you won't get annoyed by this issue ever again (hopefully) in the future. See the questions at the bottom of this message.
When they will have a confirmed and resolved case, they will most probably issue and apology and an official message but for now, this will have to do.How to fix the issue?
At the moment, there isn't any general update or patch for this issue. Please follow this in order to remove Google Chrome in case if you don't want to use it.
Uninstall Google Chrome:http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=95319Make sure to also check the option to delete browser data and select your default browser!
Manually remove the remaining files and registry entries:http://support.google.com/chrome/bin/answer.py?hl=en&answer=111899How can i help to get this problem solved?
Ranting and threatening won't help, but answering few short questions may help us...
1. What avast! edition are you using (ie Free, Pro or AIS)?
2. When did this happen (during update or new installation)?
3. What Windows version are you using (ie Win7 SP1 64bit)?
4. Which was your default web browser at the time this happened?
5. Have you ever installed Google Chrome yourself in the past (and then removed it)?
6. How did this happen (dialog quickly disappeared, missing checkboxes etc)?
7. When did this happen (right after update, after update reboot, both)?
8. If you think any other info might be relevant or helpful, please post it.
Please follow this questionnaire in order to easier find similarities between systems with issues.
Either do it by number points or copying it and answering each question.
Thank you for your help!