Author Topic: Avast Free 7.0.146 Blocking Browser Access  (Read 7542 times)

Offline DrBB01

Avast Free 7.0.146 Blocking Browser Access
« on: July 07, 2012, 08:21:22 AM »
This may be one of those crazy interactions with other applications, but here's what I have figured out so far. First: In addition to Avast!, I am using Online Armor 5.5.0.1616 and Firefox 13.0.1. My OS is Win7-x64. I recently updated each of the applications and I keep Win 7 up to date. Now:
  • I time out when I try to launch Firefox, eventually receiving the following message:  "A script on this page may be busy, or it may have stopped responding. You can stop the script now, or you can continue to see if the script will complete. Script: chrome://foxtab/content/AC_Flash.js:94"
  • I found I could access many websites by closing Online Armor, then launching Firefox. At this point I assumed it was an OA issue, and posted it it to the OA Forums.
  • Was reminded on the OA forum that Avast and OA have not always played well together.  8)  I haven't experienced that in a few years.
  • Just to make sure began checking out Avast. Systematically closed shields. No success until I closed Behavioral Shield
  • I observed files BS scanned and lingered on. It is lingering on a variety of extensions and plug-ins. I have the BS trust one add-on and it gets stuck at another. The solution is NOT going to be to trust close to 100 add-ons; Avast will go first.
  • Firefox runs fine with the BS off; seems to run fine if I turn BS on after launching Firefox. This is true regardless of whether OA is running or not

OK--I can access the internet if I jump through hoops or shut down the Avast BS--which I did before coming here--but that's not a long term solution. So I hope someone has seen this issue before or has some educated guesses about how to fix it. Again, allowing the BS to try loading Firefox and then have to find the location of each add-on and then trust it is simply not going to happen--even if I were convinced it would work! Thanks in advance.

SafeSurf

Re: Avast Free 7.0.146 Blocking Browser Access
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2012, 09:49:58 AM »
I would first make sure both software are excluded (trust each other) -- Avast and OA.  The best way to exclude both OA and Avast is the following:

To exclude OA in Avast:
·   Settings > Exclusions > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Real Time Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Behavior Shield > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.  Also change action to take in Behavior Shield to “Ask.”

To exclude Avast in OA:
·   Open the OA GUI > Options > Exclusions > Add > click on the pop-up window and find C:\Program Files\Avast Software.
·   When you reboot OA (to go into Learning Mode), make sure ALL Avast shields are left on.
·   Reboot your machine again; OA requires two boots.  After this second reboot, you may get a pop-up asking you if you trust Avast.  Answer the pop-up as "Trust Always" and "Remember My Decision" and you should not get any more pop-ups. 
·   Open the OA GUI > Programs > untick "Hide Trusted" so that you can see everything > look to make sure everything from Avast is not "blocked" (red) or "ask" (yellow).  If it is, right-click the item and change it to "Trust."  Reboot.
·   Open the OA GUI > Options > Backup/Restore > Save your settings once you have everything the way you want it.

Also make sure you have the current version of firefox on your machine and any plug-in's and add-on's.  Make sure these are not blocked by OA or Avast Behavior Shield.

Make sure your software on your machine is current, esp. Java and Flash which recently had updates.  The easiest way to check is to go to Secunia PSI and do a free scan.  It will give you the vendor's download link if you need an upgrade, then reboot your machine in between any uninstall and install.  Remember if you have to upgrade Java or Flash to always use their Unistaller tool, reboot, then install the newest version so no remnants are left behind...do not upgrade.

Let us know how you do or if you have any questions.  I've been using OA and Avast for years, so I'm very familiar with both products.

Offline DrBB01

« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2012, 04:59:30 PM »
Thanks SafeSurf! Added exceptions in Behavior Shield for OA and the problem vanished. [Already had exceptions set up for Avast in OA due to conflicts a few years ago.]

I will follow up on your other steps when I have more time, but it appears that the latest update to Avast included changes to BS that caused indigestion with OA.  ;)

I'll re-post after I have had time to address everything. Adobe Flash may be presenting another set of issues.... Adobe's uninstall tool may not be working; Secunia PSI flags Flash as outdated even after I use Adobe's uninstall tool, though I can't find the ocx file PSI says is still there. I'm confident that will resolve itself, though.

"It's always something...." --Roseanne Roseannadanna

SafeSurf

« Reply #3 on: July 08, 2012, 10:49:47 AM »
Well, some good news.  :)

Here is the information for the Flash Uninstaller Tool: http://helpx.adobe.com/flash-player/kb/uninstall-flash-player-windows.html.  You may want to keep it on your desktop since they seem to be changing it so often!  :P  Make sure you have the download file on your HDD before you uninstall.  Reboot after uninstalling.  Download the new version of Flash, the reboot.  Go into Control Panel > Flash > check all your settings to "Ask" and under Advanced changed to "Ask" instead of automatically install because it will just install on top of older versions.

Hey, my hair looks like hers today with this humidity! :P  Let me know how it goes when you get time.  Thanks.

Offline Cyberpunk

• Man is virus.
« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2012, 07:32:00 PM »
To exclude OA in Avast:
·   Settings > Exclusions > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.
·   Real Time Shields > Expert Settings > Trusted Processes > Add > search for Online Armor and click on the box to the left of it and add it, then click OK.

Don't you mean File System Shield instead of Real Time Shields?
--
Windows 7 Home Premium x64 SP1 - avast! Free Antivirus 12.2.2276

SafeSurf

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2012, 10:21:53 AM »
Don't you mean File System Shield instead of Real Time Shields?
Yes.

Offline DrBB01

« Reply #6 on: July 15, 2012, 08:22:09 AM »
Problem apparently solved by retrograding Adobe Flash back to 10.3 from 11.3. Flash is really beginning to suck....

SafeSurf

« Reply #7 on: July 15, 2012, 10:04:30 AM »
I agree, and it seems to be needing an upgrade VERY often, which can be quite annoying.  But to help avoid malware, I do it.