Author Topic: I get errors when I try to start avast  (Read 4889 times)

Gmarthin

I get errors when I try to start avast
« on: January 06, 2005, 06:19:29 AM »
I'm on a Windows XP SP 2 system Home Edition, with 512 MB RAM and about 250 GB HD space.

After installing Avast it won't start, and when I try to start it it get the following error messages:

error message #1

Unknown error
storage cannot be created for the "splash" task

error message #2

configuration is not loaded properly. Error: dbsCreateObject

error message #3

Program cannot save parameters to the storage! (Error:
dbsCreateObject)

Anyone know if there's something to be done to fix it? Any and all help appreciated!

Gmarthin

galooma

Re: I get errors when I try to start avast
« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2005, 07:39:04 AM »
hi and welcome
im presuming that you have done your installation then re-booted to continue with registration and this has happened?
Has it happened without your input? or when you click on the icon ?
sometimes (too many) all thats required is to reboot again . I did three installations on xp pro in last 5 days and 2 needed 2 reboots to work , the other worked fine with one
if problems persist try  cntrlpanel/ add remove/repair and see if that changes anything
let us know how you manage ok good luck

Gmarthin

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2005, 08:21:19 AM »
hi and welcome
im presuming that you have done your installation then re-booted to continue with registration and this has happened?
Has it happened without your input? or when you click on the icon ?
sometimes (too many) all thats required is to reboot again . I did three installations on xp pro in last 5 days and 2 needed 2 reboots to work , the other worked fine with one
if problems persist try  cntrlpanel/ add remove/repair and see if that changes anything
let us know how you manage ok good luck

Hi thanks for the welcome  :) Yes I rebooted after installing, and it happened when I rightclicked on the icon in the systray... I chose start avast antivirus, and at the exactly same second the splashscreen appears, the first error message appears... Then when I click ok, the next one appears and so forth... I have since rebooted twice, and the problem persists... I will try to repair like you suggested and will report my findings when done. Again, thanks for trying to help, it's much appreciated!

Gmarthin

galooma

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2005, 08:27:45 AM »
no problem
thats my pleasure    :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2005, 12:00:31 PM »
You may try to open the <avast>\data\avast4.ini file and in the [Common] section, change the item Database=ODBC to Database=XML. This could prevent the Microsoft Jet drivers from accessing the database... does it have any (positive) effect?

If you ask which is better ODBC or XML? I'll say that for the Home version, they are equal. For the Professional version of avast!, XML is missing some functionality (compared to ODBC).
The best things in life are free.

Gmarthin

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2005, 01:47:39 PM »
Thanks will try that! I'm currently at work, but I'll give it a try the minute I get home. Thanks!

Gmarthin

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2005, 03:03:33 PM »
You may try to open the <avast>\data\avast4.ini file and in the [Common] section, change the item Database=ODBC to Database=XML. This could prevent the Microsoft Jet drivers from accessing the database... does it have any (positive) effect?

If you ask which is better ODBC or XML? I'll say that for the Home version, they are equal. For the Professional version of avast!, XML is missing some functionality (compared to ODBC).

Well this fixed it for me! Thanks a bunch!! :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2005, 03:48:53 PM »
Well this fixed it for me! Thanks a bunch!! :)

It's supposed to fix so... the canned answer solves the problem again...
Welcome to forums  8)
The best things in life are free.