Author Topic: Avast! Mobile Security 2.0.2560 (Beta1) on Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus P6200  (Read 11184 times)

Offline ZombieZoom

• avast! Super Sayajin since 2008
Device: Samsung Galaxy Tab 7.0 Plus GT-P6200

Updating was real smooth and here's what I've noticed...
1. After updating, I went to check on the Anti-theft component and after pressing back I was presented with the pin password input.
But when it returned to Avast! Mobile Security's main interface, the virtual keyboard remained there and I had to put it down/close it/hide it myself.
The bug is gone after connecting to my Avast! account!!

2. Connecting to my Avast! account didn't succeed the first time as it said that my Anti-theft installation is old/outdated, so I downloaded the Anti-theft beta apk and updated my current one.
Now I am connected successfully :)

3. Network Meter should stay on the current tab I left it with. As I don't use 3G, only WiFi.
Every time I click on Network Meter, I am presented with the 3G tab even if I checked Network Meter before, chose the WiFi tab and then pressed back.

NOTE: If I encountered any more problems, I will update here.

Suggestions:
1. Please work on a more improved tablet interface and experience.

2. Add support to more browsers like UC Browser and Dolphin.

3. IF you could -and I said IF- work on improving the RAM usage that would be AWESOME.
But as I said before, I don't complain about the current performance ^^

Thank you for your HARD work.

reinhardholzner

hi, thanks for the great feedback. Regarding browsers: do you talk about Webshield? If yes - thats not possible because those browsers dont provide plugin approaches for their mobile version.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

1. After updating, I went to check on the Anti-theft component and after pressing back I was presented with the pin password input.
But when it returned to Avast! Mobile Security's main interface, the virtual keyboard remained there and I had to put it down/close it/hide it myself.
The bug is gone after connecting to my Avast! account!!

That's kinda weird. I suppose you can't replicate it, can you?

2. Connecting to my Avast! account didn't succeed the first time as it said that my Anti-theft installation is old/outdated, so I downloaded the Anti-theft beta apk and updated my current one.
Now I am connected successfully :)

That's how it should be at the moment :)

3. Network Meter should stay on the current tab I left it with. As I don't use 3G, only WiFi.
Every time I click on Network Meter, I am presented with the 3G tab even if I checked Network Meter before, chose the WiFi tab and then pressed back.

That's how it should be at the moment. But interesting point, we will discuss remembering last used tab.

1. Please work on a more improved tablet interface and experience.

What does that mean exactly? :)

2. Add support to more browsers like UC Browser and Dolphin.

You can't build public plugins for Dolphin unfortunately :( (As far as I know that is.) I will take a look at the UC Browser. By the way, we added support for Chrome, Silk and Firefox (without SiteCorrect at the moment) in the beta, it's just not mentioned in the introductory post.

3. IF you could -and I said IF- work on improving the RAM usage that would be AWESOME.
But as I said before, I don't complain about the current performance ^^

We would love to work on that, but what we need from you is typical use cases where you think the RAM usage is too high compared to what the app is doing.

Filip

Offline ZombieZoom

hi, thanks for the great feedback. Regarding browsers: do you talk about Webshield? If yes - thats not possible because those browsers dont provide plugin approaches for their mobile version.

You're welcome :)
Yes, that's what I exactly meant and it's okay if you guys aren't able to do it.

@Filip

1. Sorry, I couldn't reproduce this bug after disconnecting my Avast! account and trying the steps mentioned again.
I still don't know about uninstalling/reinstalling AMS and if it's possible then to reproduce this bug again.

2. OK, great! :D

3. Indeed, I hope you'd consider it guys :)

#1. I meant that I am not "in love" with current interface and I am hoping that you'd work on a more customized interface for Tablets? :D

#2. Great news and I'd be really happy if you could manage to support UC Browser as I use it sometimes next to the Android stock browser.

#3. I guess that's pretty easy :)
When I power on the tablet, AMS RAM usage starts at 9.0 MB with 1 process and 5 services
While browsing through Google Play or using the Android browser, etc, RAM usage went up to in between 9.1 MB and 9.3 MB
Checking AMS and browsing through its interface: Firewall, Application Management, etc, RAM usage went up to 14 MB
After checking Anti-theft component, RAM usage went up to 20 MB
Also when the the tablet is in sleep mode, RAM usage stays at 19 MB
Running Virus Scanner with Scan SD card option checked, RAM usage went up to 22 MB when scanning "Apps" and up to 23 MB when scanning SD card. But unfortunately I've found a critical bug resulted in system freeze!

Here's what happened:
To test the Virus Scanner, I put Faceniff - a PUP - in my SD card. After the scan is finished, AMS found the app and I clicked on resolve to remove the PUP app. That when system froze and the touch controls were unresponsive, so I had to long press the power on/lock screen button to restart. 
I checked my SD card through My files -file manager- and it's good to know that the PUP app was deleted successfully :)
Anyway, I hope you'd fix this BIG BUG :D

Thank you,
Hassan
« Last Edit: July 21, 2012, 04:15:49 AM by zombiezoom »

svehlak

Can you please try to reproduce this error with deleting PUP from SD card after scanning?

Offline ZombieZoom

Can you please try to reproduce this error with deleting PUP from SD card after scanning?

I was successfully able to reproduce the error, system froze again and I had to restart.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Massive Poster
Hi,

1. Sorry, I couldn't reproduce this bug after disconnecting my Avast! account and trying the steps mentioned again.
I still don't know about uninstalling/reinstalling AMS and if it's possible then to reproduce this bug again.
It's OK, I think it was something Android OS messed up ;)

Should be in the next version :)

#1. I meant that I am not "in love" with current interface and I am hoping that you'd work on a more customized interface for Tablets? :D
Well, what would you do to make it better? (It's always easy to say it could/should be better, but "how" is the important question :))

#2. Great news and I'd be really happy if you could manage to support UC Browser as I use it sometimes next to the Android stock browser.
UC Browser not possible, sorry :(

When I power on the tablet, AMS RAM usage starts at 9.0 MB with 1 process and 5 services
While browsing through Google Play or using the Android browser, etc, RAM usage went up to in between 9.1 MB and 9.3 MB
Checking AMS and browsing through its interface: Firewall, Application Management, etc, RAM usage went up to 14 MB
Running Virus Scanner with Scan SD card option checked, RAM usage went up to 22 MB when scanning "Apps" and up to 23 MB when scanning SD card. But unfortunately I've found a critical bug resulted in system freeze!
Well that's how Android works. If you stop using the app, it will slowly decrease by itself if needed. We could "optimize" it to consume less RAM pretty easily, but that would be a tradeoff between RAM and speed (responsiveness) of the app.

Here's what happened:
To test the Virus Scanner, I put Faceniff - a PUP - in my SD card. After the scan is finished, AMS found the app and I clicked on resolve to remove the PUP app. That when system froze and the touch controls were unresponsive, so I had to long press the power on/lock screen button to restart. 
I checked my SD card through My files -file manager- and it's good to know that the PUP app was deleted successfully :)
Should be fixed in the next version :)

Filip

Offline ZombieZoom

Hi,

It's OK, I think it was something Android OS messed up ;)

Should be in the next version :)

Well, what would you do to make it better? (It's always easy to say it could/should be better, but "how" is the important question :))

UC Browser not possible, sorry :(

Well that's how Android works. If you stop using the app, it will slowly decrease by itself if needed. We could "optimize" it to consume less RAM pretty easily, but that would be a tradeoff between RAM and speed (responsiveness) of the app.

Here's what happened:
Should be fixed in the next version :)

Filip

Thank you Filip for responding :)

1. Maybe!
3. Awesome.

#1. After thinking about it again, I guess the GUI is very good on tablets. I just usually like shiny GUIs :D
#2. It's okay, Android stock browser is enough for me anyway.
#3. Great, good luck then. :)