Author Topic: Avast and PC speed  (Read 2892 times)

Faequine

Avast and PC speed
« on: August 24, 2012, 07:01:40 PM »
It seems the 2 things happened at the same time. One day i went to scan the pc and noticed the trial for internet security ran out, i switched back to the free and thats when the pc started to crawl. Its slow with everything, loading, using any program, start up, even the scans. The first full scan picked up nothing, a boot scan picked up 1 adware. and various scans after (~5) including another Full Scan and Boot scan with higher sensitivity. Nothing new found but my pc is still slow. I went threw the TM looked at all the processes, applications, usage ect and saw nothing obvious. Even went into BIOS to check on the hardware thinking a fan was out, yet everything seemed normal. Keep in mind i don't really know what i look for, but having seen the stuff before i look for things that seem wrong. I cleared out the Rbin, removed items from the desktop, deleted other things i thought were useless. I really don't know why there are issues.

I thought that maybe it was due to a new editing program GIMP. But it was included in a select files scan that included all other recently DLd files, and nothing. I really don't want to bring the PC into a shop to fix. Even with a back up (theirs) i lost a lot of files last time and don't have the $ for it right now. Please help, Thanks!

Offline mikaelrask

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
Re: Avast and PC speed
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 07:04:43 PM »
welcome to the forum. did you make a clean installation with avast free? and did you reboot before install it?

if yes. it might be malware related.

so just in case it is follow this guide and attach your logs.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

good luck.
Windows 8.1 amd a10-5700 64 bit
12 GB ram 1 tb hard drive. Avast 18, MBAM

Faequine

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 07:14:42 PM »
The switch over seemed clean. Not sure what you mean about reboot before install, usually reboots are after... Oh, and the 1st day it happened Windows shutdown on me with a blue screen, it happened again but that time i activated the bootscan and thats when it caught the adware. No blue screens since, but the slowness remains.

Faequine

« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2012, 09:14:30 PM »
Ive been having more problems. The pc had a black screen and 'crashed' twice last night. was able to get into safe mode ( never been in it before) with networking scanned the pc with a quick scan using Windows Defender, tried using Avast but it was extremely slow. over an our with only 1%. One of crashes had a error message displayed just before it happened, something about and instruction @ 0x00000000777532DF something, i think it envolved iexplorer.exe. When its restarting i get a message saying ...(cut off) boot & select proper Boot device (on next line) Insert Boot Media in selected Boot device & press a key. When a key's pressed it just repeats, and i had to hard restart (push power button, not unplugging) and as it restarted again something else was scanning my computer. CHKDSK. and it stored it in an USN Journal. I have never seen these messages before. What is going on when nothing is Detecting anything?? Also when in safe mode i tried to delete some toolbars in safe mode and couldn't...