Author Topic: How to detect and change Avast UI language?  (Read 4891 times)

jmontane

How to detect and change Avast UI language?
« on: August 31, 2012, 06:30:35 AM »
Hi all,

I want to progamatically chechk whats is the AVAST UI language. Is that possible?
I mean something like look registry, look if a file exists or anything what can be programmed.

If above question is positive. I want to programmatically change AVAST UI language. I mean changing from English to Spanish, for instance.

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
Re: How to detect and change Avast UI language?
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2012, 06:38:36 AM »
Avast already has the change language feature, see below

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2012, 10:35:47 AM »
The current language is stored in avast5.ini, but you wouldn't be able to change it from an external program without manually disabling avast! self-defense first. (And even then, you wouldn't be able to make UI refresh itself, so the change would happen only after the machine/UI is restarted.)

jmontane

« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2012, 01:12:55 PM »
Ok, I've found avast5.ini.

So, is there any way to automate installation and setting a new UI language? Requirement of machine restarted is not a problem.

Joan Montané

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2012, 01:50:29 PM »
Ok, I've found avast5.ini.

So, is there any way to automate installation and setting a new UI language? Requirement of machine restarted is not a problem.

Joan Montané
You'll always have to disable the avast! self-defense module manually. Which will decrease your protection.
The best things in life are free.

jmontane

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 08:12:27 PM »
You'll always have to disable the avast! self-defense module manually. Which will decrease your protection.

Yes, I know. My idea is to kill avast process, make changes, and restart it.

So, If I change avast5.ini language setting, and restart Avast, the UI language will change, right?

Are the languages files downloaded automatically? If it's not done automatically, how can I install a language pack? where can download it?

Our porpouse is automate language setting for a set of most dowloaded and installed programs from our users, and Avast is one of them, :)
We don't want a manual language setting for each program, and need to make it programatically.

Best regards,
Joan Montané

Joan Montané

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 09:05:51 PM »
Won't work, sorry.
To kill avast! processes, you again need to manually disable avast! self-defense first, it can't be automated (that's the whole point of the self-defense).
And no, you need to have the particular language modules installed beforehand (either from the program UI, or by including them during a custom program installation in the first place). If you just change the INI file value and the language modules will be missing, it will either fall back to the default English, or won't start at all.

jmontane

« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2012, 10:25:18 PM »
Won't work, sorry.

That's a pitty,   :(

We won't support Avast support to automatically change UI language.

Thanks for your quick replies and support

Best regards, Joan Montané