Author Topic: Network indicator incorrectly indicated no internet access  (Read 5197 times)

Offline madtrix

Network indicator incorrectly indicated no internet access
« on: September 01, 2012, 11:04:52 PM »
My Dell subscription to McAfee was running out so today I uninstalled it and put on Avast which I have used for many years. I had a problem with my network icon in the lower right of the screen (where volume is) showing a yellow explanation point indicating no internet access (but I did have internet access). I found other people who had this problem in the Avast forum. There were two suggestions, one was to go to settings...troubleshooting...and check “Load avast! services only after loading other system services”. The other was to go to Real Time Shields...Web Shield...Expert Settings...and check “Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only”. I tried both methods and they both fixed my incorrect network indicator, for now I am using the first method.

Can anyone suggest which method is the best or safest ? They both seem to work, is one better than the other ?

Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Network indicator incorrectly indicated no internet access
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2012, 11:15:35 PM »
Did you use the McAfee removal tool as it leaves a load of garbage if just uninstalled via control panel

Download the McAfee removal tool and run http://download.mcafee.com/products/licensed/cust_support_patches/MCPR.exe

Download the latest version to your desktop from here
Download aswClear from here
Go to Programs and Features > add/remove and uninstall Avast
Reboot back to safe mode and run aswClear
Reboot

Install the updated Avast

Offline madtrix

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2012, 11:44:45 PM »
Yes,
I uninstalled McAfee using add/remove and rebooted.
Then I ran the McAfee clean up tool and rebooted.
Then I installed Avast.
I am running Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2012, 11:56:21 PM »
Yes,
I uninstalled McAfee using add/remove and rebooted.
Then I ran the McAfee clean up tool and rebooted.
Then I installed Avast.
I am running Windows 7 Home 64-bit

Did you reboot after installing Avast.
Try unchecking the added options you tried (revert back)and see if the 'Yellow' exclamation point comes back
Just curious :)

Offline madtrix

« Reply #4 on: September 02, 2012, 08:10:36 PM »
Yes, I rebooted several times with neither of these options selected and each time I got the false "no internet access" indication. When I rebooted with either of these options set I did not get the false indicator.

I am currently running with the first option set (start avast after system tasks). It works on boot but I have now found out that when I wake my system from sleep mode the false indication comes back. I may try the second option to see what it does after sleep mode (I already know it works on boot) but I am a little reluctant because I don't want to use an option that will compromise my system security.

I have a friend who just replaced McAfee with Avast and has the same thing happening. I did not see this with McAfee and swapping out the antivirus was the only change I made.

Offline madtrix

« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2012, 07:00:44 PM »
I did go ahead and try the second method to resolve the incorrect "no internet access" indicator. The second method I had seen was to go to Real Time Shields...Web Shield...Expert Settings...and check “Scan traffic from well-known browser processes only”. It works. When I boot the network indicator is correct and when I come out of sleep mode the indicator is correct.

My question is what effect does this change have on my system security, does anyone know ? Am I safe to leave this setting like I have it ?

Thanks

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2012, 08:32:24 PM »
No as that is the setting on my system  ;D