Author Topic: 13 files infected  (Read 9083 times)

slhayes

13 files infected
« on: September 10, 2012, 02:41:55 AM »
The other day I was trying to open an old version of Microsoft Money I had installed on my Windows 7 computer and a red warning came up telling me it had detected an infection.  This was totally unexpected so I waited until today to do the scan.  I am attaching the text image of the scan, I did not know what to do so I just had all put in the chest.  Can someone take a look at what I have and advise me.  I don't get the connection to the Microsoft Money.  I only open that program in real rare times.  I wanted to look for some old transactions and then this happened.  How do I get my Microsoft Money back and functioning after I find out about these infections and what should I do? 

Offline schmidthouse

• VIRUS FREE A Long Time
  • Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • When you think you know, Think Again
Re: 13 files infected
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2012, 03:17:26 AM »
Hi:
Let’s ask Essexboy, our Malware Expert to have a look inside.   ;)
Please follow this guide and attach (not copy and paste ) the requested logs.   http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0
AdwCleaner
Malwarebytes
OTL
aswMBR

Because of Time Zone differences you may have to wait until Tomorrow  :)

slhayes

« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2012, 04:41:44 AM »
I added the MalwareBytes in another reply.  I was going to try it on a new post but it wasn't working.  I hope I have what I need here.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 04:49:35 AM by slhayes »

slhayes

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2012, 04:48:09 AM »
I have attached the MalwareBytes log here.

slhayes

Re: 13 files infected-left off external drive
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2012, 07:36:15 PM »
I should have known better but when I reported here I did not do an Avast scan on my external drive because I only turn it on towards the end of the day when I move files to that drive.  It is an older drive I put in an external case, so there are lots of old things on there.  I scanned a couple of other computers that did turn up something, but I won't go into those until I have this one squared away.  My point on this reply is, can I just scan the external drive and skip the doing the primary drive?  Advise please.

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #5 on: September 10, 2012, 08:40:21 PM »
The files removed on the bootscan were Potentially Unwanted Programmes (PUP) Toolbar rubbish basically
None as far as I can see are related to Money

To scan just the external drive
Ensure it is conected
Then open Avast to Folder scan
Select the external drive

slhayes

« Reply #6 on: September 10, 2012, 09:41:57 PM »
Thank you, is it better to leave them in the chest or just remove them all together?  I have a similar problem on another machine, but I think maybe I should post another topic here for that one.  One machine down the basement has only one that is a download that was done years ago. 

Thank you very much,

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 09:46:51 PM »
Thank you, is it better to leave them in the chest or just remove them all together?
there is no rush to delete anything from chest....if you find out later that one file was falsly detected then you can restore it if deleted
let it stay for a couple of weeks before you do

Clean, Quarantine, or Delete?
http://antivirus.about.com/b/2007/03/11/clean-quarantine-or-delete.htm

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 10:57:04 PM »
You can continue with the other system in this thread if you wish

slhayes

Re: 13 files infected-other machine
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 11:38:19 PM »
Since I am on this other machine I might as well send the boot disk scan.  It looks like it involves System Volume Information on the C drive and the two partitions on my external drive.  Will I have to download and run the other scans as well for this one, and is there more danger with the System Volume Information being involved?  Plus it looks like a couple of the 7 infected files have trojans.  This machine has been giving me major headaches in the way it boots up for a long time.

By the way thank you,

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 11:42:53 PM »
i recomend you do the same (all) scan on evry machine .....no machine is equal inside

slhayes

« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:51:09 PM »
Okay, I may not get it all together by tonight, but if I don't it may be a couple of days, we will be out tomorrow.  One machine I have down the basement only had one very old download infected.  I think that one should be okay if I just delete it?  I have another netbook that is used rarely and I will do that in the future.  These three are the machines that are used regularly. 

slhayes

« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 02:17:26 AM »
Here are 4 of the 5 logs, I will add another post for the 5th.

slhayes

« Reply #13 on: September 11, 2012, 02:18:23 AM »
here is the 5th log.

slhayes

Re: 13 files infected-first machine external drive
« Reply #14 on: September 11, 2012, 03:11:40 AM »
I did do a scan within the program for my external drive and it came up with 3 infected files, I am attaching a jpg of those results.