Author Topic: Java Update  (Read 15300 times)

perros

Java Update
« on: September 12, 2012, 05:19:06 PM »
Hope i'm posting this in the right forum.

I just signed into windows and a pop up for Java came up asking to update. It looks different to how i remember it

it has "jucheck.exe Oracle America Inc" on the pop up. Just checked on google and there's talk of virus and god knows what.

Just checking this is fine to update.

Thanks

Offline polonus

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • malware fighter
Re: Java Update
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2012, 05:32:47 PM »
Hi perros,

Nothing wrong with that message it is for your  java update from the java updater, and the makers of java is" Oracle America Inc" indeed.
And their software we use it everywhere around us from the sim-card in your mobile phone to whatever in peripherals and on computers...
This software  had some serious security issues. And some zero days partly patched just recently.

Because of all the recent java issues, a lot of users that can do without choose to uninstall java from their machines,
So the decision is up to you, as you are the user of that machine. We only give you advice.

If you need java to do your online banking, java uninstall is not really an option, as you may understand.
So if you need java there on your machine you'd better update.

But anyway the source of the prompt is legit and all software should always be fully updated and patched, always,

Stay safe and secure online,

polonus
Cybersecurity is more of an attitude than anything else. Avast Evangelists.

Use NoScript, a limited user account and a virtual machine and be safe(r)!

perros

Re: Java Update
« Reply #2 on: September 12, 2012, 05:36:14 PM »
Thanks a lot mate.  :)