Author Topic: Threat has been detected alert - toolbarservice.freecause.com  (Read 9262 times)

cbminstrel

Threat has been detected alert - toolbarservice.freecause.com
« on: October 24, 2012, 04:40:22 PM »
Hi there,

Sorry to start another thread so soon after the AOl one, but I've got a new thing popping the alert now....I guess that a new round of updates is kicking in! LOL

This times it's toolbarservice.freecause.com:

Infection Details
URL:   http://toolbarservice.freecause.com/2.6/...
Process:   C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox...
Infection:   URL:Mal

My understanding is that freecause is linked to the Nectar toolbar, which I have. I've had it ages though, and this is the first time it's started popping the alert. I've been getting it constantly today. Everytime I visit a new page, the alert pops, I'm guessing that would tie in with the nectar tool bar trying to work on every page visited? (It checks to see if you can collect points on any website you visit).

That's my guess. Although, that doesn't mean it's necessarily a good thing, right? Just wanted to check if this was a threat and should remove the nectar toolbar or if anyone knows that actually it's not the nectar toolbar but something else.

Sorry for the second thread...but thanks for your time!

angelseed01

Re: Threat has been detected alert - toolbarservice.freecause.com
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2012, 05:48:44 PM »
I have been having the same problem as of today.  I am seeing this pop-up whenever I open a new window in Firefox.  I do not have the Nectar toolbar that you mentioned though, so I would not say that Nectar is causing this.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2012, 05:50:29 PM »
See this topic on the same alert, http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=107620.0.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cbminstrel

« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2012, 07:32:45 PM »
Hi,

Thanks for that. I've read through the thread, but I'm still a bit unsure if this is a false negative or something not so good LOL Did I mention I've not a techy bone in my body ;)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2012, 07:40:21 PM »
You're welcome.

It looks like there was something there, which may have been cleaned, but the block still exists until a review by avast is completed.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.5.6116 (build 24.5.9153.762) UI 1.0.808/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

cbminstrel

« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2012, 08:38:18 PM »
Hello,

Thanks for clearing that up!

Interestingly though, I've got annoyed with it, so decided to remove the toolbar. I did it through the control panel, but I'm still getting the popup each time I load a page, so it obviously didn't completely uninstall it :(

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2012, 08:43:23 PM »
try this....run the first program in this guide, AdwCleaner a special tool for browser / toolbar crap

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0

attach the log here

cbminstrel

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2012, 08:48:43 PM »
Thanks, attached!

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2012, 08:54:04 PM »
did it help ?

angelseed01

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2012, 09:16:12 PM »
Ok, now I'm really confused.  I read the suggested thread and see that lots of folks with the Nectar toolbar are having the same problem I'm having.  However I don't have the Nectar toolbar and have never even heard of it until today.  I also ran the Malware scan and it did not find anything.  Really concerned now why I'm also getting these freecause pop-ups.  :-\

cbminstrel

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2012, 09:39:39 PM »
Sort of worked....

I don't get the alerts everytime I load a page now, however I still get one whenever I first open Firefox. New log attached if that's useful.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2012, 09:50:25 PM »
in the same guide i gave you.....scroll down to OTL
run that and attach the OTL log.....then Essexboy will remove any leftovers.....if any

cbminstrel

« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2012, 10:45:58 PM »
Hi,

I ran the scan, (used the commands under the link on that page in the custom scan bit). It saved one log which is attached. I haven't click run fix, or clean up or anything yet. Wasn't sure if I was meant to do that or just post the log up....

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #13 on: October 24, 2012, 10:47:21 PM »
you cant fix anything before Essexboy have created a fix script..... wait and see

cbminstrel

« Reply #14 on: October 24, 2012, 10:52:37 PM »
Thanks!