Author Topic: Wifi is switched on although 3G data connection is available  (Read 5507 times)

chringel

Wifi is switched on although 3G data connection is available
« on: November 02, 2012, 11:55:42 AM »
I would like to use the avast! Anti-Theft auto locate feature. When I'm not at home, I don't have a wifi accesspoint available so I switch off wifi to save the battery.

Although I have my 3G data connection open, avast! Anti-Theft always enables wifi and tries to find my accesspoint. When avast! Anti-Theft is trying to find an accesspoint, I cannot disable wifi. avast! Anti-Theft constantly enables wifi.

Is there a way I can force avast! Anti-Theft to use my 3G data connection?

reinhardholzner

Re: Wifi is switched on although 3G data connection is available
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2012, 01:38:32 PM »
avast! Anti-Theft enables WIFI because it needs to track WIFI surroundings to get good location data. However, it turns off WIFI after tracking automatically (PS: did you upgrade to the newest build?).

I would like to use the avast! Anti-Theft auto locate feature. When I'm not at home, I don't have a wifi accesspoint available so I switch off wifi to save the battery.

Although I have my 3G data connection open, avast! Anti-Theft always enables wifi and tries to find my accesspoint. When avast! Anti-Theft is trying to find an accesspoint, I cannot disable wifi. avast! Anti-Theft constantly enables wifi.

Pepinene

« Reply #2 on: November 07, 2012, 12:15:51 PM »
But why, when i am at home in wifi network sometimes anti-theft close wifi from my mobile???

reinhardholzner

« Reply #3 on: November 07, 2012, 12:21:55 PM »
i do not understand please describe more clearly.

But why, when i am at home in wifi network sometimes anti-theft close wifi from my mobile???

Pepinene

« Reply #4 on: November 07, 2012, 12:32:11 PM »
I have wifi on and i am connected to the internet.
When anti-theft auto locate my phone switch wifi off.

I do not want wifi off, i had it on.....

reinhardholzner

« Reply #5 on: November 07, 2012, 01:16:54 PM »
are you using the newest Anti-Theft version?

chringel

« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2012, 01:22:57 PM »
Thanks for the answer.

If the phone cannot connect to any WiFi accesspoint, the location will be send via 3G?

I have the latest build.

avast! Anti-Theft enables WIFI because it needs to track WIFI surroundings to get good location data. However, it turns off WIFI after tracking automatically (PS: did you upgrade to the newest build?).

reinhardholzner

« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2012, 01:37:35 PM »
which build#? because we fixed that in last update.

Pepinene

« Reply #8 on: November 08, 2012, 07:52:37 AM »
Yes i am using the newest version.

Last night it didn't close wifi.
I will see what happens today.

I want to ask something else.

Lets say that wifi on my phone is off.
Is it possible, when the anti-theft search for wifi and finds a known connection, after tracking automatically to let the wifi on??? 

Lets say that the wifi is on.
Is it possible, when the anti-theft search for wifi and doesn't find wifi connection after tracking via 3G to turn wifi off??

Thanks

reinhardholzner

« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 10:30:42 AM »
hi we do not check for active or possible wifi connections, we just scan the neighborhood for wifi access points to use for locationing (we only use their public IDs).

it can happen that wifi stays on. Sometimes, during tracking out of some reasons it might happen that the system itself shuts our process down (we can not prevent this). if this happens we can not turn off the wifi because we've been shut down. the app will launch soon after that but that wifi state change is forgotten then. sorry for that.