Author Topic: Login Failed  (Read 9960 times)

Voltorb

Login Failed
« on: February 15, 2005, 01:52:53 AM »
Just installed ADNM, and get an error "Unable to login as Administrator, or connection error"  I'm using admin for the password per the documentation.  What steps should I be taking to troubleshoot? 
SQL Server is on a different machine, and setup did create the database.  It also appears a connection to the database happens at startup.
Thanks in advance!

Voltorb

Re: Login Failed
« Reply #1 on: February 15, 2005, 01:33:44 PM »
Prease disregard previous message.  MDAC was out of date.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2005, 03:17:40 PM »
MDAC was out of date, and updating it actually helped?
That's pretty odd I have to say, given that avast uses OLE DB (not ODBC) to access the SQL server... ???

What operating system is this, exactly? And which MDAC update did you apply to solve the problem?

Thanks!
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

mini

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2005, 03:31:04 PM »
I have precisely the same problem on SBS 2003 can't login between AMS and ADNM - I jumped for the MDAC upgrade to 2.8 - and it did not work for me ???
Still getting Error 0x1408F10B - plz help  :-[
At this point this is the only 2 Avast components I have installed on the server.

Steen

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2005, 03:46:51 PM »
mini, SBS (more precisely, Exchange) related issues are another thing.
Please see e.g. my last post here http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=5798.0
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Voltorb

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2005, 02:27:09 AM »
MS Server 2000 SP4 with all current updates.   I updated MDAC and Jet from the following links.  First MDAC, then Jet, rebooting after each.

MDAC
Microsoft Data Access Components (MDAC) 2.8
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=6c050fe3-c795-4b7d-b037-185d0506396c&DisplayLang=en

JET
Jet 4.0 Service Pack 8 (SP8) for Windows 2000 (KB829558)
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?familyid=1e268b39-533e-48b0-b8d7-1781befde1f8&displaylang=en

Honest, that's all I did, and all is working fine!  I got the idea from the documentation.  (It was a deperate measure, I know).  I usually dont read documentation, or ask for directions!

Spectromage

« Reply #6 on: September 28, 2005, 12:14:06 PM »
I am getting this error too  :(

On Win2k Server SP4 - I am going to try your suggestion, I will let you know if it works...

An obvious oddity on my setup is MSDE's SQL Service Manager seems unaware of the running database "Server02\Avast". If I type the service name in the server field it sees it and the tray icon then has the green play symbol instead of a white empty circle.

Spectromage

« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2005, 03:27:19 PM »
I did the above steps but to no avail, so I uninstalled and re-installed ADNM and that worked. Guess I will never know if the updates were relevant...