Author Topic: Avast - Akamai  (Read 5917 times)

ja37

Avast - Akamai
« on: January 05, 2013, 02:23:15 AM »
Hi tech evang,

Akamai is a partner in aiding with various Cloud Services and is also is into protection with Akamai's Kona Site Defender looking to thwart online attacks.
So I would not worry that much,

polonus

NOT SO.

Akamai has flooded my bandwidth, invaded 3 computers, taken my access of my desktops down to a slugs speed.

Its time Avast looked into the covert actions of Akamai, its over aggressive act of commandeering my internet bandwidth for THEIR SOLE USE, and my COMPUTERS RESOURCES, making my ability to STOP the assault nearly impossible without unplugging.

Upon blocking all known Akamai IP addresses through the use of the hosts file, and reconnecting, I regained fluid mouse movements on ALL 3 computers effected, I regained my dsl connection speeds.

But that only lasted 2 days, until a couple hours ago, I began getting hit hard and heavy, on one computer, not in active use, I decided the other day to load up Currports to watch what was happening, and configure the altert tone, and it started dinging erratically when the assault began,  I saw right off Avast was the source program of the attack, and the source IP was a23-49-46-13.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com [23.49.46.13] and the hammering had nothing to do with UPDATES of Avast, or the use of my computers, as all 4 that were online received updates about 1 to 2 hours prior to this assault. I DO NOT HAVE AVAST CLOUD SERVICES ENABLED! Nothing to do with any programs from Akamai. I DO NOT use download accelerators or software of any type, and I don't do social internet.

The attack hit like a ddos ping attack on multiple ports, 3 to 5 seconds apart for the first 10 or so than upto 2 or 3 per second!

While I was receiving these hits, I was fully able to see that avast and Akamai was the source of port hits, as the Currports window updated, but I only had intermittent control of my mouse and desktop, it was a struggle to use the computer itself to block all net traffic. Once I did, I blocked that IP, and less than 30 minutes it was happening again with another remote IP.

------------------------------

Only one thing on my machines is set for AUTO, and that was AVAST UPDATE ---- until now!!! Now NOTHING...

This is getting TOO FREQUENT, and is TOO MUCH WORK to maintain control of my systems.

I have a special account, I DO NOT SHARE my bandwidth or system resources, I DO NOT USE P2P I don't like paying for someone elses bandwidth. That is EXACTLY what Akamai does. It slows down everything, so who are they really gaining speeds for? They have taken a lot from me by way of bandwidth  several times in the last few years.

------------------------------

From my experience of repairing and cleaning computers for many years, and many times cleaning out the Akamai garbage, and a few times get them back to clean out because people got tricked into getting the netsessions client or one of the downloaders with DIFFERENT NAMES but same tools and same IP's it connects with. This is not good, nor is an honost way of doing buisiness, I sure don't think a company who needs to remain trusted to be teamed up with an untrustworthy comany who uses covert means to plant stuff on computers they do not own or have a right to access.

Just doing a bit of research into their sites, you see coverups, and diversions.

-------------------------------

I have watched from the beginning, anti-virus companies grow from nothing up to some large I DONT CARE ABOUT YOU monstrosity, like McAfee, and Norton, which both started out fine, and have one thing in mind. But they began to earn money, more and more, so they expanded, got bigger, bloated their programs with so much garbage that every part of them is inefficient and unable to do it primary job.

I have taught hundreds of people what makes a secure system...

It is not a full meal deal in one bag, because if something gets in that bag, the full meal is bad!

Totally separate, and independent pieces, that all cover different aspects, and have no relation to one another, but a slight over lap of authority makes for the most secure system.

As an example, If you had a console TV Stereo, system, and one part went bad, the whole thing goes to the shop to be fixed, and in the mean time you have nothing.

If you have a COMPONENT system, and one part goes bad, you send only that part to the shop, and you still have the rest in working order to use.

I was pretty ticked when I saw Avast go to a CONSOLE system a few years back, the only reason I stuck with it was not having to use all the other piled on junk.

I watched AdAware do the same, it too is an unwanted program now.

One thing I never saw happen before now was a company who's most important attribute to survive requires it to be FULLY TRUSTED, to turn and partner with one who has proven an inability to do trustworthy business, time and time again, and who has an angry following driven by their covert activity.

I think you guys need to back up and start over.

--------------------------------------------------

Away to be clear of Akamai so we can have our computers and bandwidth back is is important.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Avast - Akamai
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2013, 02:57:11 AM »
Hold your horses please.

First of all, if you respond to a message, please do so in the original thread.

Secondly, Akamai Technologies, Inc. is an Internet content delivery network.
Mostly they are trying to spread ads.

Do they have their own software that you can install?
Yes they do, but it is your choice to install it or not.

So they (as you claim) assault systems?
No they don't.

I saw right off Avast was the source program of the attack, and the source IP was a23-49-46-13.deploy.akamaitechnologies.com [23.49.46.13]
As you say yourself, the "attack" was NOT from avast!

From my experience of repairing and cleaning computers for many years, and many times cleaning out the Akamai garbage
Obviously you have no clue about things otherwise you would have been able to solve this problem yourself and you would have known that avast has nothing to do with Akamai.

But that being said, let's see if I can help you solve the problem.
Please get/run Hijackthis and post the log file here to start with.

Offline Charyb-0

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
Re: Avast - Akamai
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2013, 02:57:18 AM »
Sounds like you may be infected.

Please follow the instructions at the link provided and attach the logs in your next post. After the logs are attached, a malware removal expert can assist you.

http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=53253.0