Author Topic: malwarebytes blocking avast?  (Read 10524 times)

Offline mytimbuk2

malwarebytes blocking avast?
« on: January 14, 2013, 11:56:15 PM »
This action was printed in my Logs with Malwarebytes Pro, it appears to be blocking an outgoing IP related to the Avast program name? Any idea what this means?

IP-BLOCK   173.199.172.XXX (Type: outgoing, Port: 62254, Process: avastsvc.exe)

Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: malwarebytes blocking avast?
« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2013, 12:52:52 AM »
It isn't alerting on avast, this is their so called malicious site blocking at work and it doesn't like that IP address.

The avastSvc.exe is the main controller for avast, this includes the web shield localhost proxy. When you are using your browser all http traffic/connections are redirected through the web shield proxy so that the content can be scanned. So something is trying to connect to that IP.

The problem is MBAM isn't reporting what is initiating the connection but the avast process controlling the redirection through the proxy.

Personally I feel this mbam feature is more hassle than it is worth, it isn't just malicious sites that are pinged, but also other categories; not to mention that you have both the web shield and network shield looking after this type of thing. I have disabled this on both of my mbam Pro installations, that decision is however up to you.

I don't know why you have obfuscated that last part of the IP as we can't check it out.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline mytimbuk2

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2013, 02:22:46 PM »
Not sure where my replies went, I answered twice. First time I got the irritating CAPTCHA Phrase wrong and lost the entire reply, second time it said that it posted, but apparently didn't.  I guess I'll just say thanks for your reply. Both Avast & Malwarebytes have apparently stopped some evils from implementing, so I guess I'll live with it or suffer the consequences. 
Thanks

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2013, 02:52:24 PM »
You're welcome.

Always a good idea to do a copy (Ctrl+C) of your post before posting, just in case, saves having to type again if you have a problem. The Captcha can be a pain, but also for the spammers, you only have one more post (3) were you will need to use the Captcha function.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2013, 04:13:07 PM »
I asked that very question on the MBAM forum. The answer I received is to the effect that MBAM is not really blocking avastsvs.exe
I have learned to ignore it as nothing is wrong. It's that MBAM detects something that isn't there. You and your computer are fine.  :)
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

bedebill

« Reply #5 on: January 17, 2013, 12:14:07 PM »
Hi all I am running avast do I need to download Malwarebytes AntiMalware too ?

Offline CraigB

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Serious Graphoman
  • No support PM's thanks
« Reply #6 on: January 17, 2013, 12:30:55 PM »
Hi all I am running avast do I need to download Malwarebytes AntiMalware too ?
Its a great program and would be an added benefit to your security setup, update it and run a weekly quick scan with the free version or there is the paid Pro version.

Offline rob24

« Reply #7 on: January 19, 2013, 02:14:06 AM »
It isn't alerting on avast, this is their so called malicious site blocking at work and it doesn't like that IP address.

The avastSvc.exe is the main controller for avast, this includes the web shield localhost proxy. When you are using your browser all http traffic/connections are redirected through the web shield proxy so that the content can be scanned. So something is trying to connect to that IP.

The problem is MBAM isn't reporting what is initiating the connection but the avast process controlling the redirection through the proxy.

Personally I feel this mbam feature is more hassle than it is worth, it isn't just malicious sites that are pinged, but also other categories; not to mention that you have both the web shield and network shield looking after this type of thing. I have disabled this on both of my mbam Pro installations, that decision is however up to you.

I don't know why you have obfuscated that last part of the IP as we can't check it out.
How do you disable the part you are talking about in mbam (I have the free version). I ask as I still have not updated Avast free to 7.0.1474 from 7.0.1466 still fearing a crash or a useless pc at the end of it. I thought maybe to disable this part of mbam might lessen the chance of problems if I update, though I daresay you will say there are now none  ;D
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.
Samsung S3 mobile with Avast Mobile Pro and on Lenovo tablet.

iroc9555

« Reply #8 on: January 19, 2013, 02:18:57 AM »
How do you disable the part you are talking about in mbam (I have the free version).

MBAM Free version does not have real time protection. Nothing to disable then.

Offline rob24

« Reply #9 on: January 19, 2013, 02:25:53 AM »
OK thanks!
Intel Core i5 CPU 4 x 3200 Mhz, 8Gb DDR3 RAM, Windows 10 64 bit, Malwarebytes' Anti-Malware 1.6 free, Superantispyware.

iroc9555

« Reply #10 on: January 19, 2013, 02:36:04 AM »
OK thanks!

You are welcome.

BTW you should try 1474. I have XP spk3 as you do and I have not encountered any trouble.

Offline rob24

« Reply #11 on: January 20, 2013, 01:43:01 AM »
OK thanks!

You are welcome.

BTW you should try 1474. I have XP spk3 as you do and I have not encountered any trouble.
Have successfully updated to 1474. No probs except on reboot shutdown and on closedown again, I got some sort of dialogue box on screen about not able to write to memory, then a load of numbers. But other than that showing for a 2-3 seconds it was fine and closed or restarted OK.

iroc9555

« Reply #12 on: January 20, 2013, 02:03:56 AM »
Have successfully updated to 1474. No probs except on reboot shutdown and on closedown again, I got some sort of dialogue box on screen about not able to write to memory, then a load of numbers. But other than that showing for a 2-3 seconds it was fine and closed or restarted OK.

Try to get a screenshot of the alert and attach it here. Maybe someone can figure it out.

Offline rob24

« Reply #13 on: January 20, 2013, 02:21:36 AM »
Had to snap it with a phone camera. It appears just before the pc switches off. I don't need to do anything, it doesn't stay there more than about 3 seconds.
Hope you can see it OK.

iroc9555

« Reply #14 on: January 20, 2013, 02:30:56 AM »
That is a Skype service. Try to update program or better yet uninstall and reinstall again.