Author Topic: Firefox / Avast: Only one option to remove virus?  (Read 5499 times)

Timo Schmidt

Firefox / Avast: Only one option to remove virus?
« on: February 20, 2005, 03:22:50 PM »
Hi there!

I run Firefox as internet-client and if avast has detected a virus I only get one option to "remove" this stuff. This option is called "abort connection".

I thought that there are some more options like repair, delete etc.? Where are all those options gone?

I'm using Avast 4.6 :)

Greetings

Timo

lee16

Re: Firefox / Avast: Only one option to remove virus?
« Reply #1 on: February 20, 2005, 03:27:05 PM »
Hi there!

I run Firefox as internet-client and if avast has detected a virus I only get one option to "remove" this stuff. This option is called "abort connection".

I thought that there are some more options like repair, delete etc.? Where are all those options gone?

I'm using Avast 4.6

The warning you got is a new waring that has become available because of the new webshield, it has detected malware that could is trying to infect your system by scanning your HTTP traffic, and is letting you abort they connect.

What url/website are you receiving this warning at, are you trying to download something?

--lee

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2005, 03:27:51 PM »

lee16

« Reply #3 on: February 20, 2005, 03:30:39 PM »
Ahh, the test 'virus' samples.

Avast webshield will not let you download these as there is not an 'allow' button with it.

If you still want to download one of the test samples, you will have to disable webshield then download then, then re-enable webshield.

--lee

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: February 20, 2005, 03:35:44 PM »
If you simply close the warning screen, you can download the file.

The options repair/delete and such aren't there simply because there is nothing to repair/delete.
Traffic was stopped at the door.

Timo Schmidt

« Reply #5 on: February 20, 2005, 03:49:59 PM »
Well - that's an easy but effective solution :)

Thanx!

Greetings

Timo

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: February 20, 2005, 04:05:39 PM »
Yes, it stems from the fact that web shield has intercepted the file being downloaded and since it is not in your cache/hdd there is nothing to repair.

Aborting the connect, just stops the download and doesn't terminate your internet connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.4.6112 (build 24.4.9067.762) UI 1.0.803/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #7 on: February 20, 2005, 06:53:34 PM »
We were considering enabling options like Move or MoveToChest as well, but since there's the "stream scan" feature (thanks to which WebShield doesn't really slow down your surfing - a real competitive advantage I'd say), avast is usually able to detect the virus way before the whole infected file is downloaded - thus it makes little sense to move those incomplete files out...

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.