Author Topic: Popup alert malfunction  (Read 7168 times)

ChrisB91

Popup alert malfunction
« on: February 08, 2013, 10:31:25 PM »
What's up with the alert coming up when I visit sites I used to visit that wouldn't normally make the alert come up? Avast didn't start doing this until like a few days ago. I got the below infection detail when I visited the Myspace Music Player site and a wikia page. This is getting annoying.

Infection Details
URL:   http://afe.specificclick.net/?l
Process:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\f...
Infection:   URL:Mal

bossfan

Re: Popup alert malfunction
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2013, 10:58:44 PM »
What's up with the alert coming up when I visit sites I used to visit that wouldn't normally make the alert come up? Avast didn't start doing this until like a few days ago. I got the below infection detail when I visited the Myspace Music Player site and a wikia page. This is getting annoying.

Infection Details
Process:   C:\Program Files (x86)\Mozilla Firefox\f...

I posted this on another thread but it seems more appropriate for me to post it as a follow up to your comment.

I have an ongoing unresolved thread about this specific pop up warning that I have also never received before and all my Avast scans and Malwarebytyes scans are showing no infections.

I remember a while back Avast started throwing false positive warnings and a fix was applied.  I also see that there have been several recent postings about sudden malware pop up warnings that users have not gotten before.  Can a moderator or a malware removal expert offer an opinion as to whether this is a false positive that Avast is throwing up for some reason?

Offline JGM71201

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2013, 12:14:42 AM »
If I am allowed to post in nother persons thread I am getting the exact same too on sites I have never ever gotten an avast pop up on so that makes 3 of us if not more here.

Thanks

Jerzeybird

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2013, 12:36:46 AM »
I'm getting this problem also in the last couple of days, at the pages I most often frequent.  My yahoo mail inbox and the chrome homepage.  Very annoying.

bossfan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2013, 01:11:14 AM »
I have had a removal expert working with me on my thread titled Help Needed With URL:MAL Pop Up Warning.

I am very appreciative of the help I have been getting but at the same time with three of us posting the same problem i hope that someone from Avast can offer an opinion if there is a problem with the Avast software instead of a problem with our machines as running the scans that I have been asked to run and posting the logs is time consuming.

If there are more users out there suddenly getting these pop up warnings please post on this thread.  Maybe a bunch of people having the same problem will cause an Avast person to investigate.

Again for the person that has been helping me in my own thread I am grateful and appreciative and I will continue to run scans as instructed but I sure would feel better if this turns out to be an Avast software problem instead of my own problem.
« Last Edit: February 09, 2013, 01:13:03 AM by bossfan »

ceider

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2013, 01:43:00 AM »
I am having the same problem, started about 3 days ago. I ran all the diagnostics and programs listed in that thread (I think it was linked to in your thread, bossfan) and nothing. I filed a support ticket but the reply was just the same instruction to run all these things I had already done.  I'm fairly curious about what is going on here.

Offline Pondus

• Probably Bot
  • Not a avast user
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2013, 01:59:52 AM »
I ran all the diagnostics and programs listed in that thread (I think it was linked to in your thread, bossfan) and nothing.
a diagnostic scan does not do anything......
the logs need to be checked by an expert and you have not posted your logs.....so how can you say nothing

ceider

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2013, 02:45:24 AM »
Pondus: Sorry if I offended you? I was working with support and gave them the diagnostics log and they didn't really come up with anything other than telling me to run all the stuff I had already run. I can start a new thread here, though if you think that would be more helpful.

ChrisB91

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2013, 04:25:30 AM »
Regardless, I'm gonna need someone from Avast to investigate this and get it fixed...

critterhouse

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2013, 02:41:09 AM »
I am having the same problem with IE9, Chrome and FF on Windows 7, XP and Vista. It only started recently.  :-[

GrumpyOlGuy

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2013, 03:50:16 AM »
I started to get Avast alerts related to this on 02/07/13.

Infection Details:

URL: http://afe.specificclick.net/?l
Process:   C:\Program Files\internet explorer\iexplore.exe

Only when I open my Windows email account and click on almost any message to view do I get the
Avast warning that I just dodged a bullet and my precious hide has been saved.
No other browsers or programs trigger the Avast to go off.

I've updated and/or run Avast Free Edition, SuperAntiSpyware Free Edition, MalwareBytes, Spybot S&D, SpywareBlaster,
and as a last ditch, Combofix on the entire system and also separately on the C:\Program Files Folder.
I've run the scans several times over the course of 4 days.
Nothing is ever detected, and on and on the detections show up.
I hope this gets righted around soon.

Windows XP Pro SP3
P4 3.0/1 GB/800
4 GB DDR400

Avast Anti-Virus Free
SuperAnti-Spyware
MalwareBytes
Spybot S&D
SpywareBlaster
Zone Alarm Free Firewall

GrumpyOlGuy

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2013, 03:53:44 AM »
I forgot to mention I'm using IE8.

GrumpyOlGuy

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2013, 04:28:09 AM »
Well.
Here's an update:
Now I get Avast Alert on my alternate Hotmail account too!

Infection Details
Process:   C:\Program Files\Mozilla Firefox\firefox...

I'm thinking of deleting the Avast program & re-installing & updating.

ChrisB91

« Reply #13 on: February 11, 2013, 04:57:10 AM »
Reinstalling? Tried that. Same thing happened. Ahhh! What's going on?! I'd honestly say I'd stop using Avast, but I'm too scared hahahaha. I've been using Avast for so long...

GrumpyOlGuy

« Reply #14 on: February 11, 2013, 07:01:25 AM »
To Chris891:

You're right.
Tried a delete/ reinstall and same thing going on.
Good news is, I have since solved the problem.

I have removed Avast and installed an alternate free anti-virus program that also begins with an "A".
While I don't hold it as dear to my heart as Avast, it DOES NOT keep sending me detection messages with almost every mouse click while I'm in my email accounts.
I believe that there may be a "bug" in the Avast program that was loaded in one of their "every-four-hour" updates.
For now, I will use the alternate anti-virus program and will try Avast again in a month or so.

It's not like I frequent potentially harmful sites in my daily activities, and it's rare that I pickup Trojans, pups, etc.
Somehow, my life will go on as usual.

If I notice my PC acting strangely due to the anti-virus change and it's abilities to protect my PC or it performing in a degraded manner, I will revisit this forum to update.
However, I do not anticipate any problem
Good luck to all with this problem.