Author Topic: Desparately Need Help  (Read 3897 times)

chris18

Desparately Need Help
« on: February 24, 2005, 04:14:34 PM »
I'm running windows XP Pro+SP2

I have been using avast! Home Version since 6th November last year with no problems. yesterday I upgraded to v4.6 Home Version-Build Mar2005(4.6.603) - my VPS file is:Compilation date 23/02/2005 File version:0508-2.

Since I upgraded I have been having issues with Sygate Personal Firewall Pro constantly displaying the following message:

avast! antivirus Update (avast.setup) is trying to connect to download15.com(67.19.185.82) using remote port 80 (HTTP-WorldWide Web). o you want to allow this program to access the network?

Note: This application was launched by avast! antivirus service (ashServ.exe)

Remember my answer, and do not ask me again for this application

These are the full details displayed by Sygate.

Parent Process :   C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
Parent Version :   4.6.602.0
Parent Description :   avast! antivirus service
Parent Process ID :   0xF4 (Heximal) 244 (Decimal)

File Version :      4.5.0.0
File Description :   avast! antivirus Update (avast.setup)
File Path :      C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup
Process ID :      0xAF4 (Heximal) 2804 (Decimal)

Connection origin :   local initiated
Protocol :      TCP
Local Address :    10.0.0.14
Local Port :      1144
Remote Name :      www.avast.com
Remote Address :   67.15.38.62
Remote Port :       80 (HTTP - World Wide Web

If I check the Applications list in Sygate is shows avast! antivirus Update 4.5.0.0 (avast.setup). All the other entries for avast! applications show v4.6.585.0 or 4.6.602.0

I also get the following message

Parent Process :   C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\ashServ.exe
Parent Version :   4.6.602.0
Parent Description :   avast! antivirus service
Parent Process ID :   0xF4 (Heximal) 244 (Decimal)

File Version :      4.5.0.0
File Description :   avast! antivirus Update (avast.setup)
File Path :      C:\Program Files\Alwil Software\Avast4\Setup\avast.setup
Process ID :      0xAF4 (Heximal) 2804 (Decimal)

Connection origin :   local initiated
Protocol :      TCP
Local Address :    10.0.0.14
Local Port :      1153
Remote Name :      www.avast.com
Remote Address :   67.19.185.82
Remote Port :       80 (HTTP - World Wide Web)

I have even set updates to manual but it still persists even though I've set Sygate to Block avast! applications by default.

I thought I would use System Restore and go back to prior to updating and then re-install the old version but I find my Restore points have all been erased which probably accounts for why I suddenly I got hit with a whole load of trojan errors when I powered up which may have been contained in windows/restore. I think this may also have something to d with the Sygate flags.

I then tried to uninstall avast! but when I try through Add/Remove program nothing happens.

I've had to leave the Sygate error displayed so that it doesn't keep coming up but then avast! gives an error message about a failed update even though I have it set to manual.

This is all very frustrating as before updating I was really impressed with avast!

PLEASE-PLEASE-PLEASE can someone come to my rescue beforeĀ  I go completely mad.

ADDENDUM

Just read another post (not quite same problem) which suggested trying to repair avast! so I disabled sygate temporarily and after much clicking managed to get into the Repair option from Add/Remove programs. I've just re-enabled Sygate and problem persists.
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 04:21:21 PM by chris18 »

chris18

Re: Desparately Need Help
« Reply #1 on: February 24, 2005, 04:52:34 PM »
An update.

Managed to use add/remove programs to uninstall and the do a fresh instal of the original version.

At the moment Sygate isn't flagging up requests as it did before so I'm keeping my fingers crossed.

Everything seems to point to a problem with the upgrade which makes me very concerned about upgrading again especially as there seem to be a few posts reports issues with the latest version.

Just came across http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11374.0 which is exactly the problem I had. All the info is in my original post.

Would appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
« Last Edit: February 24, 2005, 05:14:01 PM by chris18 »