Author Topic: Firefox error message from Avast!  (Read 12936 times)

galen

Firefox error message from Avast!
« on: March 01, 2005, 06:11:13 PM »
Can someone explain what the problem is here ? - I've had the same thing happen on two different machines on two different forums today - same BBS software though (phpBB). In both cases the error message followed a search and an attempt to read the results of the search by clicking on the link. Attempts to read existing mail which was NOT the result of a search worked just fine. I've never had the problem before, and haven't changed any firewall settings etc.

Quote on.................

The page cannot be displayed
There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

Please try the following:

* Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
    * Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
    * Check your firewall settings. The Web Shield process (ashWebSv.exe) must be allowed to access the Internet.
    * If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page.

HTTP 502 - Gateway timeout
avast! Web Proxy

The proxy server did not receive a correct response from the upstream server specified by URI or the response was not understood by proxy.

Winsock: (997) Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.
GET http://forums.pgpsupport.com/viewtopic.php?t=1965&highlight=thunderbird
Winsock: (997) Overlapped I/O operation is in progress.

Quote off...............

Regards

Bob

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Firefox error message from Avast!
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 06:14:55 PM »
A search of these forums for Overlapped I/O will no doubt return many hits as this topic has been previously discussed a number of times.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

sded

« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 06:20:10 PM »
What firewall are you using?  Try checking "ignore local communication" in web shield setup and see if that helps.

galen

« Reply #3 on: March 02, 2005, 09:22:10 AM »
What firewall are you using?  Try checking "ignore local communication" in web shield setup and see if that helps.

The built-in firewall in my USRobotics router and that built in firewall in Windows XP. "Ignore local communication" is already checked.

galen

« Reply #4 on: March 02, 2005, 09:24:23 AM »
A search of these forums for Overlapped I/O will no doubt return many hits as this topic has been previously discussed a number of times.

It did. None of them mean much to me, not being very technical, but I gather from them that there is a bug that needs fixing, and there is nothing I can do in the meantime except turn everything off but local, basic , virus checking - is that a fair summary?

cvsa

« Reply #5 on: March 02, 2005, 10:04:36 AM »
i've the same problem after updating to avast 4.6 i can't reach one site (http://www.free-av.com/) with firefox 1.0.1 (gateway delay problem with avast proxy)...... i doesn't work either if i tick "direct acces tothe internet" in mozilla's settings but it works with IE6.
« Last Edit: March 02, 2005, 10:07:11 AM by cvsa »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 02, 2005, 01:53:41 PM »
I have been able to get into that page, but it is really slow loading, but no gateway delay problem, using a dial-up connection.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

stg

« Reply #7 on: March 08, 2005, 06:48:23 PM »
I've had the same problem, while using BitTorrent to download game demos. Every single page I tried gave the same error. I played with *many* of the Web Shield options, until I removed 80 from the Redirected HTTP Ports, at which point the problem stopped (I imagine it's not scanning anymore, though).

I'm using ZoneAlarm Pro (5.5.0.62) and WinXPSP2. Firefox and IE6 had the same problem. The connection is ADSL 1000/128 (mentioned because of the assymetry).

I don't use BitTorrent much - if the problem even happened without using it, I didn't notice.

niko

« Reply #8 on: March 08, 2005, 09:20:14 PM »
Hi,
I've made a test with Firefox 0.9.3/Avast! 4.6.603 on the same URL (www.free-av.com) and:
HTTP 504 - Gateway timeout.
No pb with IE 6.0

niko

« Reply #9 on: March 08, 2005, 09:32:18 PM »
I've made the same test with Avast! webshield off:
same result! So I should believe that the pb comes from Firefox setup ::)

ronbruce

« Reply #10 on: March 10, 2005, 05:03:00 AM »
Am I to asume that there is NO FIX for this problem,
Come on , AVAST
Is AVG the solution?

ronbruce

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #11 on: March 10, 2005, 08:24:20 AM »
Using:

Firefox 1.0.1 (the current version)
Avast 4.6.614 (the current pre-release version)
Windows XP SP2
Zonealarm (free edition 5.5.062.011)

The website http://www.free-av.com/ is rather slow to load but loads without any problem for me with Webshield active.

oudalrich

« Reply #12 on: March 10, 2005, 11:55:18 AM »
I really don't think the problem with www.free-av.com is related to avast!. The site loaded very slowly for me both in IE and Firefox, with WebShield on or off. Maybe the folks who could load it in IE but not in FF had the site still cached in IE's (but not FF's) cache?
By the way, H+BEDV (the company that runs the site) has recently been reported to have severe trouble (link in German) with their AntiVir update servers. Seems to affect their site's server as well.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 02:11:08 PM »
Yes, very slow on opening...
Is it anything wrong with it?
The best things in life are free.

AirCeej

« Reply #14 on: March 15, 2005, 04:01:23 PM »
I get the same kind of behavior with Firefox and IE with Spyware Doctor and Spy Sweeper both turned off but with Spywareblaster’s and Spybot’s “immunization” engaged.  While using Firefox for experimentation (don’t have the time to experiment with IE), when I go into Tools\Options\General and check-on “Direct Connection to the Internet” with the Web Shield’s Redirected HTTP port(s) blanked, the following sites (for example) have no problems:

1.   http://news.com.com/2001-1_3-0.html?tag=hd.ts – just under the Search Window on the upper right-hand side is an advertisement (from double-click I believe) that displays fine.

2.   http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ - aside from the 23 advertisements, the black field appears black.

When I go back into Tools\Options\General and check-on “Manual proxy configuration” (via 127.0.0.1 and 12080, with everything else blank) with the Web Shield’s Redirected HTTP port(s) blanked, the same sites have the following problems:

1.   With Ignore local communication checked in the Web Shield, http://news.com.com/2001-1_3-0.html?tag=hd.ts – The advertisement area reveals this message:

There is a problem with the page you are trying to reach and it cannot be displayed.

•   Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
•   Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
•   If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page.
HTTP 504 - Gateway timeout
avast! Web Proxy

When the server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, contacted the upstream content server, it did not receive a timely response.
GET http://ad.doubleclick.net/adi/N1841.cnet.com/B1518597.6;sz=300x250;click0=http:
//adlog.com.com/adlog/c/r=6453&s=587719&t=2005.03.15.13.59.38&o=1:&h=cn&p
=2&b=1&l=en_US&&site=3/;ord=2005.03.15.13.59.38?

2.   With Ignore local communication checked-off, sometimes http://news.com.com/2001-1_3-0.html?tag=hd.ts will show me the advertisement after about 30 seconds or so and sometimes it wont.

3.   Regardless if I have checked on or off “Ignore local communication” in the Web Shield, http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/ - now contains 3 “the page cannot be displayed” errors, if I highlight one of them, I get:

•   Click the Refresh button, or try again later.
•   Open the Web site home page, and then look for links to the information you want.
•   If you believe you should be able to view this directory or page, please contact the Web site administrator by using the e-mail address or phone number listed on the Web site home page.
HTTP 504 - Gateway timeout
avast! Web Proxy

When the server, while acting as a gateway or proxy, contacted the upstream content server, it did not receive a timely response.
GET http://www.avsads.com/cgi-bin/advertpro/banners.fpl?region=5&keyword=NULL

Environment:
* Dell Inspiron 1100
* Celeron running @ 2Mhz
* 256M RAM
* Win XP Pro SP1
* Avast Home Edition 4.6.603
* Sygate PF 5.5 Build 2710
* Firefox 1.0.1

Update

Having updated to Avast Home Edition 4.6.623, with “Manual proxy configuration” checked on in Firefox (via 127.0.0.1 and 12080, and everything else blank) with the Web Shield’s Redirected HTTP port(s) blanked and Ignore local communication checked-off - the aformentioned pages appear to display properly albeit just as slow as before except now I get an Alert Window stating "the document contains no data" for every problem it encountered before the update on the same sites (CNET News = 1 Alert Window, AVScience = 3 Alert Windows).

Update Part II

Regardless if I have Ignore local communication checked on or off I still get the (now highly annoying) Alert Window on the abovementioned sites and all of the subpages I've clicked on from either of the main pages.

Regards,
=AirCeej=
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 05:15:21 PM by AirCeej »