Author Topic: Web Shield and Windows SP2 Firewall  (Read 3584 times)

fredra

Web Shield and Windows SP2 Firewall
« on: March 03, 2005, 05:41:55 PM »
Hi
I have searched for this and can't seem to find any topics or answers, so I am posting this question.
It seems that with numerous other firewalls, the AVAST user has to do some changes in their firewalls, in order for AVAST Web shield to work properly. As noted http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=11486.0
My specific question is as follows:
-Is there any settings for the Windows Firewall in SP2?
-Do you need to "add" any of the AVAST modules in the exception rule in the Windows Firewall?
Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.
Thanks
CheersĀ  :)

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
Re: Web Shield and Windows SP2 Firewall
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 06:08:44 PM »
Windows firewall only protects inbound. I strongly suggest you use one that also checks outbound.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 06:55:53 PM »
Is there any settings for the Windows Firewall in SP2?

Not that I know... avast does not interfere with it as it asks only for inbound attacks like Eddy posted.

Do you need to "add" any of the AVAST modules in the exception rule in the Windows Firewall?

No...
In the 'outbound' firewall (3rd party) you must give access to avast.setup (update), ashwebsv.exe (WebShield), ashMaisv.exe (Mail service).

Any constructive feedback would be appreciated.

We try to be always constructive  ;D
The best things in life are free.

fredra

« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 09:00:34 PM »
To Eddy and Technical.... a big thanks for your input and assistance.
The reason I had asked the original question is as follows:
-When I have Web Shield active, my CPU usage goes to 100% and nothing can be launched. With Web Shield "terminated" the CPU usage averages 4%. I have the following "active"
Instant Messaging-Network Shield-Outlook/Exchange (I use Outlook)-Standard Shield..all others are terminated.
-MS AntiSpyware enabled/disabled, uninstalled same results
I am trying to pinpoint the reason for the high CPU usage when Web Shield is "active".
I will add that the PC (laptop) used version 4.5 before with no ill effects, so I am still trying to find an answer.
Thanks
Cheers  :)

fredra

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 05:26:00 PM »
Hi  :D
Am I the only one here having this situation with high CPU usage with WEBSHIELD active?  ???
I have searched this forum and found no reference to this.
Users in other forums have seen this annomally and they have no specific answers either, so they have turned off WEBSHIELD and so will I.
Thanks for your time.
Cheers  :)