Author Topic: Error: 502 concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded  (Read 8405 times)

gilmoregirlz

Error: 502 concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded
« on: March 14, 2013, 11:26:47 PM »
I just recently installed Avast (8.0.1483) and while using SABnsbd (newsgroup downloader) I am getting the error: 502 concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded(pass:0, processes:SABnzbd.exe[50])

I've googled a bit and found some talk of modifying the EmailShield.ini file, but this was for Avast5. I've looked for the file and can't find it, but since I have Avast 8, I'm assuming things have changed a bit since version 5.

Can anyone point me in the right direction for increasing the max connections allowed so this error will go away? If it matters, I'm running Windows Vista Home on the machine that is having the problem.

Thanks so much!

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Re: Error: 502 concurrent connection limit in avast! exceeded
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2013, 11:40:43 PM »
It is still valid for avast8 as the EmailShield.ini file is still used for that too.

You could modify the EmailShield.ini file using notepad, C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Application Data\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (XP location) or C:\ProgramData\AVAST Software\Avast\EmailShield.ini (Vista, Win7), this location may be hidden, depending on your windows explorer settings (Explorer > Tools > Folder Options > View.

Find the [EmailScanner] section and insert a new line after the section heading, and enter this MaxConnections=75 (if that line exists you can change the value to 75). Save the changes, the avast self-defence will ask if it is OK answer yes.

[EmailScanner]
MaxConnections=75

The default concurrent connection limit is 50 (for mail & news together). This limit exists not to save resources, but to prevent connection looping in strange configurations, so the user can increase it without worry to, for instance, 75. The value 0 disables the limit.

There is no guarantee that once given more connections SABnzbd.exe might just eat more pie. So you may have to bump it up again.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Anacunga

« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2013, 03:33:40 PM »
This is very nice if you have a big bunch of eMail-Accounts to check and update IMAP-folders - and then that kind of strange error appears; you need to quit OE to continue the next bunch ... :/

@avast: can you please put that setting somewhere in the email-settings of avast in the way that the user is asked to set the number of email-accounts he usually uses?

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2013, 05:26:16 PM »
Generally this isn't required and the average user wouldn't come across this issue, so I doubt they would build it into the UI for the exception rather than the rule with 180+ million users.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security