Author Topic: Question Concerning Web Rep  (Read 5752 times)

DBenjamin85

Question Concerning Web Rep
« on: March 15, 2013, 10:15:17 PM »
Hi, I noticed the oddest thing today with webrep, for some reason when I click the tab in chrome the usual window doesn't seem to open up, instead there only appears to be two buttons and two text bars which contain what looks like an email address... srajer@avast.com and the second has 3 characters (sort of like a password format).

I'll try and upload a screenshot.

Can anyone explain this and why the usual interface on the webrep isn't there?

DBenjamin85

Re: Question Concerning Web Rep
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2013, 10:43:59 PM »
How odd... it doesn't seem to be doing it anymore, does anyone know what was happening in that screenshot a moment ago? it seems to be functioning fine now.  An avast glitch?

DBenjamin85

« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2013, 11:08:05 PM »
I stand corrected, it is now doing it again...

DBenjamin85

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2013, 11:31:53 PM »
Urm is this anything to be worried about?  I don't often use webrep but found it really strange when i clicked it to see what is in the above screenshot, could somebody explain what it means?  Does this mean there is work being done on webrep? I'm just a little concerned.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2013, 11:54:56 PM »
It is possible that there may be a backend server issue were the data that would be imported into that screen is unavailable.

I generally don't use the webrep much other than the bars in the search results, though I did check when I first saw your post and the one correcting it.

Are you getting any coloured bars displayed in the search or are they missing or all grey ?
If so this could also be an indication of not being able to connect to the webrep server.

I wouldn't be unduly concerned about it as the webrep is mostly site reputation based and not an indication the site is infected, etc. that is the job of the Web Shield and Network Shield.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

DBenjamin85

« Reply #5 on: March 16, 2013, 12:00:34 AM »
Thank you DavidR, I just noticed it a moment ago and wasn't sure if it was something to be concerned about, I've noticed today that I'm getting the bars up in the corner tab in chrome but they are not appearing next to search results in the search engine.  I was just a bit concerned as there was for some reason an email address and what looks like a password entry underneath.

I noticed doing a google search that this has popped up before in a thread, so I imagine it's just a server thing as you said?  That is a relief though.

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Reply #6 on: March 16, 2013, 12:11:35 AM »
You're welcome.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

UserA789

« Reply #7 on: March 16, 2013, 12:31:27 AM »
...as the webrep is mostly site reputation based and not an indication the site is infected, etc. that is the job of the Web Shield and Network Shield.
Especially when this tool is simply a voted result and nothing to actually do with it being a reputable site.

With a bit of research one will find that many hacking sites that are constantly bombarded with PORT MONITORING as well as newer phishing sites are rated as safe... hmm, very deceptive name for this tool but whatever. 

Its like American Idol but for websites.... nothing that its title would indicate.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 12:33:21 AM by UserA789 »

UserA789

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2013, 12:34:06 AM »
This would make me worry about the server side of Avast though.  Dont you think this could be used to exploit Avast servers?

DBenjamin85

« Reply #9 on: March 16, 2013, 11:14:29 AM »
Is this happening to anyone else when they click the web rep button in the top corner of chrome?  When I open the browser and use it on one site it seems fine but then it just starts showing the same thing in this screenshot in my original post, it's rather annoying.  Does webrep frequently not work properly? 

edit:  I had a thought concerning this and gave it a test, when you close the browser it seems to stop, when I open it again and go directly to a site, say something like facebook or a forum, it's fine... to another bookmarked page, fine.  However if I go to a the google search engine and type in a search word, it suddenly starts doing that thing above in the screen shot.  It seems to be when exposed to the search engine (it might also explain why no bars show up alongside search results etc.)

edit: Actually now it just seems to do it all the time regardless of what I do.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2013, 11:36:56 AM by DBenjamin85 »

UserA789

« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2013, 04:28:44 PM »
This would make me worry about the server side of Avast though.  Dont you think this could be used to exploit Avast servers?

juuki

« Reply #11 on: April 13, 2013, 04:36:41 PM »
i have same problem. how to fix it?

UserA789

« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2013, 06:01:50 AM »
i have same problem. how to fix it?
...or any other details on this?