Author Topic: Virus carried by Avast 8 installer  (Read 1099 times)

Offline Jmp012b

• Personal Message (Offline)
Virus carried by Avast 8 installer
« on: March 17, 2013, 01:26:43 PM »
The installation of Avast 8 FORCED the installation of Google Chrome and Google Toolbar on my computer. This happened even though I had my firewall try to block the installation. Avast obviously thinks it is ok to subvert my ability to choose not to use Google products. I'm going to have to seriously re-think my use of Avast. I hate to do that because it has been great in the past. However, I am highly offended by the forced install of Google products against my wishes and over the attempts by my firewall to prevent it. In my opinion, Avast 8 installation carried a virus (Google Chrome & Google Toolbar) onto my computer. If it can force Google products onto my computer what will be next and where will it end? Avast, you really did bad!!!

Offline Pondus

• avast! √úberevangelist
  • Maybe Bot
Re: Virus carried by Avast 8 installer
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2013, 01:40:35 PM »
Avast 8 installation carried a virus (Google Chrome & Google Toolbar) onto my computer.
and when was this a virus.....
can be uninstalled anytime from ad remove programs...and there should be a option not to install if you dont just click next, next, next
Chief Wiggum: Uh, no, you got the wrong number. This is 9-1…2.

Offline Jmp012b

« Reply #2 on: March 18, 2013, 12:58:29 PM »
There was no option offered to decline the install and ANY software making a forced install without permission is MALEWARE. Moreover, it subverted my firewall so that even when I said to block the installation it installed anyway. That is outrageous!!!

Offline Psycho Rock 411

• Avast! 8 User
    • http://www.facebook.com/brianraymondrodgers
« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2013, 05:06:39 AM »
There was no option offered to decline the install and ANY software making a forced install without permission is MALEWARE. Moreover, it subverted my firewall so that even when I said to block the installation it installed anyway. That is outrageous!!!

Avast 8 does in fact allow you to deselect the installation of Google. I suggest with any installation of any program to carefully read each screen and deselect as required.
Gateway NV53, 500GB HD, 4G RAM, Windows 8 Pro with Media Center x64, Avast! 8 Internet Security

Offline Jmp012b

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2013, 12:54:40 PM »
As a matter of fact, as an applications designer and programmer of nearly 40 years I do read everything carefully. In this case there was nothing to read. On a cold boot there was simply a message to wait while Avast 8 installs. First I had heard of the update. During the update my firewall issued numerious prompts to allow or block all the Google crap. In each instance I selected BLOCK ALL activity by this program and terminate. Instead, Google Chrome and Google Toolbar installed anyway, somehow bypassing my firewall (which is unfortunately integrated with Avast to prevent conflicts). Since I can no longer trust automatic Avast updates, I'm turning them off. I'll do all Avast activity manually from now on. Sure I can uninstall - I shouldn't have to, and Google left all kinds of crap in the registry that I had to identify and delete. So it wasn't just a simple uninstall.

Offline Abdul69

« Reply #5 on: March 21, 2013, 01:39:09 AM »
So far for me when updating Avast from v7 there has been an option to NOT install Google crapware. I just find it ironic that Avast includes a tool called "Browser Cleanup" to "remove annoying browser toolbars from your computer", but their installer tries to put on on your system.  :o

Offline cxzleslie

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2013, 01:40:09 PM »
If really despo, run Adwcleaner. Google Chrome is quite useful by the way

Google Chrome

AVAST recommends using the FREE Google Chrome™ browser.

Download Google Chrome Now