Author Topic: Stealth not working....(again it seems...)  (Read 5082 times)

denm

Stealth not working....(again it seems...)
« on: March 29, 2013, 02:07:50 AM »
I checked the forum and read the Documentation regarding the 'Stealth Facility. On my Nexus 4 it still shows 2 icons and is obvious that Anti Theft software is installed, so I can't see how this statement from the Documentation is true:

"The stand alone nature of the Anti Theft component means it can operate in “stealth mode” so that it is completely invisible to a potential thief.
Once the application is launched, it hides itself automatically, so that a potential thief is not even aware of its presence on your phone. This contrasts with other products on the market which are a visible part of the main product. This makes them almost redundant as any potential thief will dispose of a phone as soon he becomes aware of the Anti Theft application, significantly reducing your chances of successfully recovering it."

After reading a post regarding a Samsung, I followed those instructions and turned off the AAT and rebooted. The drawer icon didn't disappear as suggested, and when the password screen came up, (I'm using a password) I used the back button and the password keyboard disappeared leaving the menu behind in plain view - including the 'Anti Theft' entry.
I then turned it on again and rebooted, getting a couple of information screens, one saying 'the Anti Theft has been enabled and the launcher icon will be hidden' - it wasn't!
It was just as before - 2 icons - one on home screen, one in drawer (if that's what it's called) and exactly the same scenario when the back button is pressed. The settings screen behind is visible including 'Anti Theft' setting.
Any 'thief' in the above statement could see all this too, and presumably dispose of my phone. The opposite of what's said above in the manual!
The only thing I'm unsure of is regarding the 'false' icon. Maybe I didn't pay enough attention installing, but I'm sure the setup instructions said something like 'if you don't choose a name for the false icon, it will be called 'XXXX'. (I can't remember what it was) but I checked all icons and nothing new had appeared. And of course the original 'Avast Mobile Security' and 'Avast Mobile' icons were still present.

Is this a bug, or am doing something wrong? Should I uninstall / re-install? (paying more attention to the 'false icon' statement?)
I would rather not go all through the setup again unless really necessary.
Any help would be appreciated.

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
Re: Stealth not working....(again it seems...)
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2013, 07:34:29 AM »
Hi,

I see only one launcher icon and one notification icon. In case it wouldn't be working, you would see two launcher icons and maybe even two notification icons.

Filip

denm

« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2013, 10:56:08 AM »
Hi Filip and thanks for your time and reply.

Having checked again (in better light this morning) and having turned off AAT, an icon titled 'RDP Bridge' appears, so I guess that would be the 'hidden icon' and that part of my query solved.

But I'm still confused as to why you would class it as 'working' (i.e. in Stealth Mode) with two icons showing that both take me to a page where the app settings are available clearly showing the 'Anti Theft' menu item? (albeit by using the back button) That hardly seems to be 'completely invisible'.

So how does this bit quoted from the documentation fit in "..it can operate in “stealth mode” so that it is completely invisible to a potential thief. Once the application is launched, it hides itself automatically..."?

In your reply you say you see 'one launcher icon and one notification icon' - yet in the fourth screenshot taken as I re-enabled AAT, it clearly states "Anti Theft has been enabled and the Launcher Icon will be hidden when your device is re-started".

I think my query now distills to this: Why (albeit by using the back button to lose the keypad) is the 'Anti Theft' menu  item (shown in screen shot 3) appearing when it's supposed to be in Stealth Mode and completely invisible to a thief?

As the fourth screen shot message tells me that I can open the app by calling my Avast! pin, why are there any Avast! icons showing at all?
Now that I would call 'completely invisible'.
I appreciate that AAT and AAV are two separate components but as the manual implies, thieves are not stupid, and if they see Avast! is loaded, even the anti virus component, they will surely presume the anti theft is there too, but hidden. I'm sure they read these forums too!
I read somewhere that by uninstalling the AAV component and just using the Anti Theft component, that no indication of Avast! would be visible in stealth mode.
I can see now how that would work - but seems crazy to remove such a useful part of the app. Particularly as i think (?) it was Avast! who recommended this in their FAQ's. 'Uninstall one invaluable part of our program to make the other invisible...' An unusual marketing benefit!
I would have thought hiding both parts would be best, and allowing calling the pin to bring access to both AAT and AAV would really be 'completely invisible' stealth with the benefit of both components.
Seems a great app and with brilliant reviews - though I'm left wondering about this aspect of it....

Regards,

Den

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2013, 02:13:07 PM »
Hi,

users want the Antivirus component to be visible, usually at all times. While they want the Antivirus to be visible, they want the Anti-Theft to be hidden. If you are so concerned about your Anti-Theft protection, you can uninstall the Antivirus component. If you have only Antivirus component install, the thief doesn't know if Anti-Theft is installed as well.

To be honest, a really smart thief should always assume there is some kind of Anti-Theft sofrware installed, no matter what he sees on the device.

Filip

denm

« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2013, 02:28:49 PM »
Hi Filip

You seem to be confirming what I've gradually worked out (with your help).
The point remains though, that it seems to contradict the manual / handbook / on screen messages about stealth and invisibilty, that when you open AAV from the Avast! icon, and simply use the back button on the screen, the much vaunted 'stealth' just evaporates by showing the Anti Theft menu item.
But it remains a good app with lots of useful features, I just thought I was doing something wrong to defeat the stealth so easily and not getting the full benefits. At least I understand that's not the case now, and there are limitations to it.

Thank you for your help and comments.

Regards,

Den

Offline Filip Havlicek

• Avast team
  • Massive Poster
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2013, 03:04:46 PM »
Hi,

well the item is there no matter the status of AAT. It's there if you have it installed as well as if you don't so it's not telling the thief if it's there or not.

Filip

denm

« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2013, 03:36:05 PM »
Hi Filip

Yes, I take your point.

Regards,

Den

dgm64

« Reply #7 on: April 04, 2013, 06:01:32 PM »
I just installed Avast on my new Nexus 4.  The stealth mode feature is confusing: both icons should be hidden; after all calling the PIN number provides access to the main screen which controls both products, so the product can still be controlled and can surely send notifications when problems are detected.

Also, if one starts the security app and enters the PIN, the main screen indicates that anti-theft is turned off, but selecting the option one sees it is ticked, indicating anti-theft on (of course, a thief probably wouldn't defeat the PIN to get this far) but for me it raised the question of is anti-theft actually on or not!