Author Topic: Polaris Office 4.0 detected Trojan  (Read 11882 times)

nicholaschan83

Polaris Office 4.0 detected Trojan
« on: March 30, 2013, 04:31:23 PM »
Hi guys,

I am using Samsung Note 2 with polaris office 4.0. An automated virus scan detected it as a trojan Android : MTK-A. I have been using this application for months and never has it been detected as a trojan app. Could this be a false positive?

There wasn't any updates for this app. I did not download any new apps/updates from google store either.
« Last Edit: March 30, 2013, 04:34:06 PM by nicholaschan83 »

Rikopus

Re: Polaris Office 4.0 detected Trojan
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2013, 04:46:58 PM »
Same situation for me. Anybody know what caused this? I know I can tell Avast to ignore the trojan/,alware message, but that doesn't see to be the smart thing to do.

slpeplow

« Reply #2 on: March 30, 2013, 08:29:17 PM »
And me. Galaxy S3. Damned annoying. Hopefully its some sort of "false positive" if that's the correct phrase.

pphyde

« Reply #3 on: March 30, 2013, 10:10:03 PM »
Same here on SGS3. guess it will be a false positive but removed Polaris for now :)

sfricc

« Reply #4 on: March 31, 2013, 06:53:11 AM »
Same here Galaxy Note 2. Sent support email to samsung. I'm waiting on a response.

clydeja

« Reply #5 on: March 31, 2013, 10:45:02 AM »
Same thing happened to me. I had no problems until yesterday.

Scorpio1102

« Reply #6 on: March 31, 2013, 01:46:04 PM »
Same thing for me as well - Galaxy S3; completely came up out of the blue.

Naco

« Reply #7 on: March 31, 2013, 06:02:12 PM »
Same here (SGH-I317M - Note 2 Canada): after updating Polaris to version 4.0.3303.01.FT03 (from the Samsung account) Avast reported Android: MTK-A (Trojan).

ACTIONS:
- Although there were others signaling this, I have also reported it on Polaris' Facebook page (https://www.facebook.com/Polarisoffice)
- I have installed the OFFICIAL Kaspersky Mobile Security and ran a full scan - no virus, trojan or malware was found. It seems to be a "false positive" but even so this is concerning: as a member and frequent visitor&contributor to XDA Developers I have bumped into several complaints lately. Now it seems it's our turn. The antivirus reporting all these occurrences was always Avast, but the allegedly infected apps would vary by platform and phone manufacturers.
- Haven't uninstalled Polaris (I need it) but I have revoked most of its excessive permissions (call phone, send sms, read & modify contacts as well as I have put it under Avasts firewall so it wouldn't be able to access the internet - unnecessary anyway). To revoke permissions root is required.
- Please join me in a concerted effort to force Polaris to remove this EXCESSIVE, INTRUSIVE and UNNECESSARY permissions. 

I hope somebody from Avast will jump in and tell us what is really going on here.     
« Last Edit: March 31, 2013, 07:43:17 PM by Naco »

Offline royalh13

« Reply #8 on: April 01, 2013, 07:26:23 AM »
Same problem here on note 2 and cant even get report as false positive fuction to work

catester

« Reply #9 on: April 01, 2013, 09:28:17 AM »
I have the same report on a Samsung Galaxy S3 from Telus.  I've reported it as a false positive, but I don't know how to dismiss the message on the phone.  Can anyone help me with that?

sfricc

« Reply #10 on: April 01, 2013, 10:26:30 PM »
Left comment on Polaris Facebook page. There response was they found out the reason to this issue and will solve it as soon as possible. Once solved they will post it on there website and Facebook page...

catester

« Reply #11 on: April 02, 2013, 06:08:42 AM »
In the last half hour, I received an update notification on my S3 for Polaris Office.  I applied the update without incident, and the red Malware tag is no longer there when I look at Avast!

Many thanks.