Author Topic: Webshield prevents url loading.  (Read 27110 times)

jleezer

Webshield prevents url loading.
« on: March 13, 2005, 08:29:20 PM »
In the Internet Explorer with the Webshield active, I cannot load the url:
http://web.planet.nl/planetdownload

After it was successfully loaded with the Webshield off, I have to delete the
Temporary Internet Files to be able to recreate the problem.   

neiby

Re: Webshield prevents url loading.
« Reply #1 on: March 13, 2005, 08:44:19 PM »
What version are you running? The page loads fine for me with 4.6.623.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #2 on: March 13, 2005, 09:00:17 PM »
WebShield on high:
IE > Loads the page to halfway than just hangs
Opera > Loads the page to 34Kb than hangs
FireFox > Loads the page for most part than hangs

Webshield on normal:
Same as with high settings

Webshield paused:
Same as with high settings

Webshield terminated:
All browsers open the page fine.

Avast version: 4.6.623

FYI Johan: This is on another system than I used earlier to test.

Addition:
Webshield is slowing down the opening of pages significantly in all 3 mentioned browsers.
This didn't happened with versions of Avast prior to version 4.6.618
« Last Edit: March 13, 2005, 09:05:46 PM by Eddy »

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: March 13, 2005, 09:58:12 PM »
Eddy, we small changes were made in WebShield since 4.6.618 version. Do you mean that it slows down the browsing overall or just for this pages? Thanks. Lukas.

Offline Eddy

• Avast Evangelist
  • Maybe Bot
  • Watching (over?) you
    • Malware removal, Biljart and other things.
« Reply #4 on: March 13, 2005, 10:06:13 PM »
It slows down overall. No matter what pages. eg Google, this board etc etc.

fredra

« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2005, 10:57:22 PM »
OOPS...  :o
I thought I was the only one having an impact with slowdowns....I was hesitant to post.   :-[
I agree that there appears to be a slowdown with version .623.
I am still testing, however, the initial results does show a negative impact on speed.  :o
Cheers   :)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #6 on: March 13, 2005, 11:13:38 PM »
Guys, this is very serious. It's virtually impossible that anything has changed from the 4.6.618 version to 4.6.623 version. The only feature the was added is the error logging into the ashWebSv.exe in case of HTTP error. This cannot cause any slowdown during browsing.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #7 on: March 13, 2005, 11:34:14 PM »
Nothing changed in here. Everything works perfectly and as fast as it was before. Not a single problem... even that web site mentioned in the first post in this thread ( http://web.planet.nl/planetdownload ) loads incredibly fast... see attachment...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

neiby

« Reply #8 on: March 13, 2005, 11:36:09 PM »
I haven't had a problem with pages not loading at all, but I've always felt that Web Shield caused a small but noticable increase in page load times. However, the additional protection makes it worth it, IMO. It would be nice if it didn't slow things down, but it certainly does appear to do so.

djnj

« Reply #9 on: March 13, 2005, 11:41:01 PM »
just off the phone to my ISP (ntl:Broadband UK) immediatly blaming the browser issues on them and it wasnt even their fault - i was quite  :-[ . They went through various different problems and until i kept pushing for answers he told me to disable my AV, est voila. I was on MSN Messenger & an IRC chat room so couldnt understand this issue - ONLY my browser was broken! I was only able to get onto a max of 2 pages (going to home page and then google) and then nothing else, and it was lucky to even get that far! Most times it wouldnt load the home page! Program design team can I kindly request that you release a fix for this issue because at present im wide open for viruses :( Just wanted to make everyone aware but it seems it isnt just my problem. Thanks, Niall

DjNj

neiby

« Reply #10 on: March 13, 2005, 11:43:27 PM »
djnj, if you are having problems with Web Shield then just disable Web Shield! There's no reason to turn off Standard Shield, Network Shield, IM Shield, Internet Mail Shield, etc.

djnj

« Reply #11 on: March 13, 2005, 11:46:36 PM »
right so just the web page thing is off? even though thats the one that hits me most with virii :\ ill live until they release a fix i guess. no dodgy sites for me then for another while*whistles* i guess if i get a virus avast will remove/delete it anyway once its in the system. Thanks much neiby *thumbs up*, Niall

DjNj

neiby

« Reply #12 on: March 13, 2005, 11:51:53 PM »
djnj,

You will *still* be protected from viruses if you leave the Standard Shield on. The Web Shield just adds an additional layer of protection against web-based attacks. With Web Shield turned off, you still get resident on-access protection from Standard Shield, the virus just has to be completely downloaded onto your computer before it is caught by Standard Shield, whereas Web Shield would have terminated the download.

Don't leave yourself completely unprotected simply because of problems with Web Shield. You have excellent protection if you leave the other providers turned on and just leave Web Shield turned off.

Jarmo P

« Reply #13 on: March 13, 2005, 11:57:39 PM »
In the Internet Explorer with the Webshield active, I cannot load the url:
http://web.planet.nl/planetdownload

I have the same as JohanL and Eddy.
That page downloads completely with Firefox only if the ashWebSv.exe is not handling its content. Otherwise the Firefox throbber will keep throbbing.
If I blank the redirected HTTP port 80, the page will download completely as the content is not going through Avast webshield proxy.

I cannot say anything about the speed though, it seems normal.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
« Reply #14 on: March 13, 2005, 11:59:34 PM »
I haven't had a problem with pages not loading at all, but I've always felt that Web Shield caused a small but noticable increase in page load times. However, the additional protection makes it worth it, IMO. It would be nice if it didn't slow things down, but it certainly does appear to do so.

Well, of course it causes a slight delay. How anyone can expect that processor needs to do some additional tasks (this time invoked by webshield), and not take up some additional time. Anyway, how much protection we get, it's unnoticeable how much time it takes. I can't really see the difference on my ADSL anyway. Second thing... if we are talking about 0.123 seconds delay, then I don't see the problem. Human's brain is not capable to process those pictures that fast, so no point in trying to avoid that delay... if we are ready to have good protection, so we should be ok even with those small delays. If someone can't wait that much for pages to show up, then he can just disable Web Shield. I am not aware of any other antivirus that offers web shield alike thing with faster access to web pages...
« Last Edit: March 14, 2005, 12:02:24 AM by SZ-cRaftEc »
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s