Author Topic: Avast ball spinning  (Read 2933 times)

tdel1962

Avast ball spinning
« on: March 15, 2005, 04:48:28 AM »
I don't understand why the ball with an "a" on it is always spinning. It only does it when on line and it didn't used to do that. Does this mean I have a problem? When I check the "providers" 6 are running. I see that "standard shield" is giving me a running "scanned count" How do I know what it is scanning and why ? It just keeps scanning even if I'm idle on line.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2005, 05:02:44 AM by tdel1962 »

sded

Re: Avast ball spinning
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2005, 04:51:14 AM »
The A spinning just means that avast! is virus scanning something-one of the providers is actively working.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2005, 05:21:18 AM »
tdel1962

you may think that you are "idle online", but in reality most of our systems are fairly constantly performing repetitive checks in the background.  That means programs and data files are being accessed frequently and scanned by the Standard Shield. When scanning is happening the Avast tray icon "revolves".

If you double click on the avast icon in the system tray, select the "details" button andthen the Standard Shield it will tell you what it scanned last.  (All the providers will tell you what they scanned last).

If you want a few moments of "real time" information on what is being scanned select the "Customize" button on the standard shield, then select the "Advanced" tab and check the "Show detailed info on performed action".

If you are a Windows XP user just press CTRL+ALT+DELETE together to bring up the task manager and you can see from the processes tab that even when you leave your system alone it is far from "idle".

tdel1962

« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2005, 05:36:41 AM »
Thank You