Author Topic: skin probs  (Read 7532 times)

thefalls

skin probs
« on: March 17, 2005, 12:40:45 AM »
i have noticed that everytime i download a new skin and later when i delete it,that skin reappears....i tried keeping only one skin in the skin folder of avast but when i connect to the inter net again the deleted skin files are back again.i want to know what must i do to keep only one skin in the skin folder?
hope to hear from you guys soon...
bye.....

techie101

Re: skin probs
« Reply #1 on: March 17, 2005, 12:59:08 AM »
thefalls,

Avast does not automatically download skins.  What skins are you trying to delete?  If you are attempting to delete the "default" skin, you will not really be able to do so.  When Avast restarts, it "pulls" it back from its' files.

You should however be able to delete any additional skins.  How are you deleting them? and from WHERE are you trying to do this.  The skins are in the Alwil folder under Data/Skin.  If you delete them from here, they should not reappear. 

Still have problems, let me know.
« Last Edit: March 17, 2005, 01:02:49 AM by Techie101 »

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: March 17, 2005, 02:27:53 AM »
Techie, sorry, this behavior changed since 4.6 version  :-[
Avast has at least 3 skins that are the 'default' ones (two from Alwil and one from Sasha).
Maybe someone from Alwil team could confirm which files are them...
The best things in life are free.

techie101

« Reply #3 on: March 17, 2005, 03:21:26 AM »
Technical,

Maybe there are more "default" skins now, but they are still in the Skin folder and can still be deleted from there. 

I don't see why any of them cannot be deleted unless they are marked with an attribute of "read only".

thefalls

« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2005, 10:24:47 AM »
hey techie101,
i understand what you said,so i went back to the avast folder and checked again.
the skin folder is found in the data folder.....here is a list of the skins that i have there......Glass plate skin,Low resoluton,silver panel,teak zeppelin and SCZ.KDE[which i downloaded from the avast website].And by the way their attributes is archive type when you right click on each and check their properties.
      well i just read your mesage again and you are right i was trying to delete some of the default skins....my question now is,can i ever delete a default skin forever?
and i have also noticed that the skins  i downloaded earlier[glass plate and SCZ.KDE] "come back" after i deleted them before....
     am i the only one having this problem?i would like to know who else is having this problem and if they ever found a solution.......
anyways,thanks guys for the replies.
ciao.....

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #5 on: March 17, 2005, 04:01:55 PM »
But they are still in the Skin folder and can still be deleted from there. 
I don't see why any of them cannot be deleted unless they are marked with an attribute of "read only".

Ok, they can be deleted but, as the user is posting, they will 'come back' if an update is performed (not only program, but even a VPS update).
The default skins should be: Low res, Shadow fist, Silver panel, SZC-KDE and Teak Zeppelin.
These skins will ever come back. It's not a problem, it's by design.

I don't know why Glass Plate is coming back again.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2005, 04:42:29 PM »
Silver Panel cannot be deleted (so does Low Res but this one is not shown on the list)
The other 2 default skins, Teak Zeppelin and SZC-KDE can be removed by using the Control Panel -> Add/Remove Programs -> avast Antivirus -> Change/Remove -> Change -> Skins option.

Shadow Fist is not in avast 4.6 anymore. SZC-KDE replaced it.

Hope this helps,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

techie101

« Reply #7 on: March 18, 2005, 04:27:57 AM »
VLK

Tried it myself.  Didn't work for my setup.  When I hit "change", it gives me the message that components have been updated.
Nothing about skins.  ???

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #8 on: March 18, 2005, 03:09:57 PM »
Nothing about skins.  ???

Techie, just below the providers...
Should be 'User interface' in English I suppose...

techie101

« Reply #9 on: March 18, 2005, 05:17:16 PM »
Technical,

It works only on my W98 system.  The ones with ME and XP do not show the checkboxes.
I am puzzled?

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #10 on: March 18, 2005, 07:07:40 PM »
It works only on my W98 system.  The ones with ME and XP do not show the checkboxes. I am puzzled?

Me too  ::)
I use XP and the checkbox is there, not the checkboxes but only one checkbox with the word Skins.

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2005, 11:25:44 PM »
Techie, that means that you don't have the latest version installed on that machine. The Change option currently works only if you have the latest version (I admit, the message it gives could be a bit more descriptive ;D)

Technical, that's how it should be, there's only one check box Skins, and it applies to both Teak Zeppelin and SCZ-KDE. As I said, Silver Panel and Low Res will always stay.

Cheers
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

thefalls

« Reply #12 on: March 22, 2005, 09:41:45 PM »
hey wass up guys,
i tried that option of going thru control panel/add.remove and modifying the skin options....as you put ....there is only one box to check or uncheck....thats the skin one....i guess that i just have to live with these skins....lol!!!
i did notice that after unchecking that skin box via control panle/add.remove program, avast opens without any skins....but then it wasnt much fun after that....so i went back to skin options.....and checked it.....
i suppose that there is nothing much that can be done about it....
regards,
thefalls

Falcon

« Reply #13 on: March 22, 2005, 10:16:19 PM »
I encounter the same problem and I mentionned it often, but the skin is alwys reloaded. A good behaviour should be to download skin only if non is available. Why adding more skins if the user doesn't want them ?????

I have now a problem, since I try to make "change" in "add/remove software", but when I launch Avast, I have no skins. My favourite skins is not available.
I decided to make "change" again and check "skins", but I can't use my skin, I try to reboot, nothing... I don't want to reinstall it. What can I do ? I am 4.6.623.

Thanks

thefalls

« Reply #14 on: March 29, 2005, 03:59:39 PM »
hey jr....
i had the same prob....what you have to do is that after you went thru control panel/change.remove program.....you have the check the box next to skin again so that you can have the skin displayed........but thats not all of it...then you have opne avast ....that  is run it.....so far there will be no skin yet....then you go to tools and settings......there you have to check the box "enable skin for simple inter face".
the skin should come on after you run avast again......
thats what i did.....
hope this works....
goodluck...