Author Topic: Avast 8 registered / 0 days remaining. I've tried EVERYTHING!  (Read 8177 times)

grinlord

Hi,

I have 3 computers:

All purpose main desktop: Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Music recording desktop: Windows XP Pro x32
Netbook: Windows 7 Starter x32

I've used Avast for years, since version 4.8, way before I even owned the netbook. The old version history on the machines could be part of the problem. Anyway, the problem, which I have tried to fix on both machines, but done the most experimenting on the XP one:

Neither of the two desktops will upgrade to Avast 8 Free. Both say REGISTERED in green at the top, but 0 DAYS REMAINING. However when I go to the Registration settings, it says NOT REGISTERED. The shields say NOT RUNNING, but when I try to START or FIX ALL, the Avast UI hangs for a minute or two, screen goes dark asking permission to shut down the service, I say YES, then nothing else happens.

I have tried to repair or uninstall via control panel, but then I get "setiface error 2".
So then I used the latest aswclear in safe mode, even multiple times just to be sure. This says successful.
I have even tried Revo Uninstaller which found a few registry entries and files.
I have repeated the above in many different combinations and orders.

When I try to re-install Avast 8, it finishes installing, but the same problem returns. It will not register. It also does not show me the INSERT LICENCE KEY button, like it never removed properly. I have tried to register using Facebook, or just by email. Neither works.

The only solution I have found for both computers, is to run aswclear once, then install Avast 7.

If anyone can fix this, I will be most grateful.

Regards,
Alex.

Offline David Delgado

Re: Avast 8 registered / 0 days remaining. I've tried EVERYTHING!
« Reply #1 on: April 16, 2013, 01:07:08 AM »
Have you tried to register with the email in http://my.avast.com and use that email to register again in the Avast program? It that does not work, try a new email. And, before all, try to uninstall Avast the normal way (at Control Panel, Uninstall programs), restart Windows and install it again (latest version).

I have renewed my Free license many times that way with no problems.
« Last Edit: April 16, 2013, 01:09:14 AM by David Delgado »

Offline Para-Noid

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
  • Trust only what you test yourself!
Dell Inspiron, Win10x64--HP Envy Win10x64--Both systems Avast Free v17.9.2322, Comodo Firewall v8.2 w/D+, MalwareBytes v3.0, OpenDNS, Super Anti-Spyware, Spyware Blaster, MCShield, Unchecky, Vivaldi Browser and, various browser security tools.

"Look before you leap!" Use online scanners before you click on any link.

grinlord

« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2013, 10:03:07 AM »
Thanks for the replies, however:

David: From my first post: I have tried to repair or uninstall via control panel, but then I get "setiface error 2".
I have registered my email, but when I log in to my Avast account, it says 0 connected devices. The program will not accept my registration.

Para-Noid: I already have a licence key from last year, that is still valid until July. But the program does not give me the INSERT LICENCE KEY button.

Next suggestions?
« Last Edit: April 17, 2013, 12:59:26 PM by grinlord »

jacksenthomas

« Reply #4 on: July 04, 2013, 10:01:50 PM »
grinlord I have the same problem have tried everything to register. do you suggest I go back to avast 7

grinlord

« Reply #5 on: July 04, 2013, 10:44:38 PM »
I have eventually fixed this on the machines affected, and not seen the problem on any other computers:

I ran ASWCLEAR multiple times in safe mode, each time choosing a different program version i.e. 8, then 7, then 6, 5, and lastly 4.
I then ran REGEDIT in safe mode and searched for any key named ALWIL or AVAST and carefully deleted it, first checking what the data was, and what it belonged to.

I now have Avast 8 Free working on all my computers.

grinlord

« Reply #6 on: July 06, 2013, 02:47:01 PM »
I spoke to soon, but I've started a new topic: http://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=129313.0