Author Topic: ** Introducing ** - pre-release version of upcoming avast update (4.6.635)  (Read 64086 times)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Yes, ZA and SP2 firewall work together as a charm. I also, believe that none of the other well known firewalls would interfere with SP2 Firewall.
In fact, Outpost 'automatically' disable SP2 firewall... Try and see (at least the Trial (Pro) version).
The best things in life are free.

Offline szc

• Avast Evangelist
  • Starting Graphoman
Ok, so at least, additional problems are "killed' in the very beginning... very clever from Agnitum group, very nice thinking. Why to heal something that could have been prevented in the first place...

Cheers !
MB: GIGABYTE GA-Z77X-UD3H Intel 7 Series  - LGA1155, CPU: Intel Core i5-3570K - Quad Core, 3.40GHz (3.80GHz Max Turbo), CPU COOLER: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO Direct Heat Pipe R2, RAM: 16 GB Kingston HyperX Blu DDR3, VIDEO CARD: Galaxy GeForce GTX 560 Ti - 1GB, GDDR5, POWER SUPPLY: Corsair Enthusiast Series TX750 V2 - 750 Watts, HD: Seagate Barracuda - 2TB, 7200RPM, 64MB, SATA 6Gb/s

Churchmouse

Churchmouse, please see the link with the FAQ. I've prepared there somewhat more detailed instructions where to find those configuration options in ZA.

From the "Web Shield Issues FAQ" at http://www.avast.com/eng/webshield_issues.html#idt_6871:

Q: I use Zone Alarm firewall and have troubles logging into my web mail service (Yahoo mail, Hotmail etc.)

A:

The inability to login to Yahoo or Hotmail email services commonly results from the privacy settings in Zone Alarm being set too high. You can do one of the following:

Add Yahoo Mail (mail.yahoo.com) to your site list in the Privacy area. Make sure at least "Session cookies" and "Persistent cookies" are allowed.
or

Turn off Privacy settings (Cookie Control) completely.

Just how do we do this?  Color me dull grey, but I've checked all tabs available in Overview, Firewall and Program Control areas of Zone Alarm's program interface, and have seen nothing to this effect.  The only settings available in Program Control are Medium, Low and Off.  I can't find any reference to "Cookie Control" or Privacy settings.

To turn on "Privacy filtering" for the Web Shield provider:

Open Zone Alarm control panel
Choose Program Control
Choose the tab "Programs"
Find the line with "avast! Web Scanner"
Right click on the process name and choose Options
Check the: "Enable Privacy for this program" checkbox.
Also consider checking the option “Authenticate program by full path name only” on the same dialog.

When I right-click on the process name -- any process name -- the only options available are Remove and Add program... ???

Chrchmouse
If you choose to install and run another firewall, turn off Windows Firewall." (emphasis added)
I use ZA Pro and have had the MS Firewall on ever since I installed SP2... Many month ago. I've never seen any adverse
effect because of this. :)

But, I don't have ZA Pro -- just ZA Basic.  I realize that might not have anything to do with program incompatibility, but I'm not sure lukor caught this.  He might be referring to control options only available in ZA Pro.

Churchmouse

Well, I don't know what's going on... I sent that previous post, turned Avast back on, and here I am still logged in to the forum.  Of course I still have the avast domain listed in ZA's Trusted Sites, but I think it's like Lukas observed earlier, ZA **sometimes** messes up on the cookies (and sometimes not).  I'm enjoying the normal operation while it lasts; but I know better than to think I'm out of the woods.  :'(  Btw, Webshield is running on High setting.  I didn't manually set it there ... is that the default, or is it tied to the protection level of the resident on-access Avast scanner? :)

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software
Oops, I thought that ZA Basic without Privacy control does not have problems with Cookies  :'( I'll have to investigate this issues further.

dstl1128

I'm using the latest ZAPro with Avast 4.6.623 - gmail working. I had the Cookies and Ad blocking turned off.

Hope this helps.

Offline bob3160

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • 64 Years of Happiness
    • bob3160 Protecting Yourself, Your Computer and, Your Identity
I have cookie and ad blocking set to medium.
Free Security Seminar: https://bit.ly/bobg2023  -  Important: http://www.organdonor.gov/ -- My Web Site: http://bob3160.strikingly.com/ - Win 11 Pro v22H2 64bit, 16 Gig Ram, 1TB SSD, Avast Free 23.5.6066, How to Successfully Install Avast http://goo.gl/VLXdeRepair & Clean Install https://goo.gl/t7aJGq -- My Online Activity https://bit.ly/BobGInternet

Offline Dwarden

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
  • Ideas, that's ocean without borders!
    • Bohemia Interactive
ok maybe i got little bug ...

v4.6.639 0515-1 Avast! Pro Enhanced User Interface \ Tasks

i have custom made Task of scanning just 1 directory ...

after this task scan finished  i close of EUI and then i open EUI again

randomly is this task duplicated (exist twice)
(that meanit uses SAME name as original but pose different date of creation usually of moment of previous scan)

definitely sure I don't use command to duplicate it

any idea what is causing this?
https://twitter.com/FoltynD , Tech. Community, Online Services & Distribution manager of Bohemia Interactive

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Yes; your database is set to XML, instead of ODBC (in avast4.ini). Either you set it manually, or the avast4.mdb file got somehow corrupted.
I believe I have already fixed this strange "duplication" (it could have been after build 639 was released) - but in any case, ODBC is better for the Professional version of avast!, because XML database cannot store the results of previous sessions.

Offline alanrf

• Avast Evangelist
  • Massive Poster
  • Just an avast user
I installed 4.6.635 when it was announced here. 

A few days ago I manually invoked program update and it updated me to 4.6.639 - should it have done so?

Churchmouse

Oops, I thought that ZA Basic without Privacy control does not have problems with Cookies  :'( I'll have to investigate this issues further.

*Looks hopeful*.... Any progress?  :)

My sister and I got some Windows Updates yesterday which seemed to alleviate the problem -- but only for a short time.  She was able to log into Yahoo! Mail and her favorite medical username/pwd. site yesterday; but today (again) it is not working. :(  Meanwhile I have been able to stay logged in to www.wheresgeorge.com (so far, anyway... *crosses fingers*); but Yahoo Mail!, Photobucket.com and this forum = not at all (unless Avast! disabled).  ??? None of the sites are currently listed in ZA's "trusted" zone.

Just for information, my sister is online with a different computer via a DSL connection in a different state -- the only thing we basically have in common is that we're both using Windows XP SP2, Avast! and same version of Zone Alarm (she has the latest automatic upgrade of Avast, however, not the beta).  Her laptop is a Compaq while mine's an HP ze5300.  She is so frustrated she has emailed the Japanese contact address for Zone Alarm about this problem; although I've tried to explain to her that she's highly unlikely to get their attention (and why).  :D

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I installed 4.6.635 when it was announced here.

A few days ago I manually invoked program update and it updated me to 4.6.639 - should it have done so?

Yes it should. Because you initiated the beta update process for 4.6.635 you will get any further beta updates until such times as the beta pre-release goes public. At that time updates revert to normal when you will only receive updates released for the public.

If there is another beta pre-release, people will be informed/invited to participate, they will have to download the beta .exe file and then manually update as you did with 4.6.635.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline lukor

• Administrator
  • Super Poster
    • AVAST Software

She is so frustrated she has emailed the Japanese contact address for Zone Alarm about this problem; although I've tried to explain to her that she's highly unlikely to get their attention (and why).  :D

:'( Unfortunately we have not been able to get their attention too. At least know we know the have "logged this as a bug" in their system and will contact us back in several week  >:( not too promising.

Anyway we are constantly testing new possible solutions for this - things are really complicated by the fact that Zone Alarm behaves so unpredictably.

In your situation I wonder if it couldn't be something else - as Zone Alarm Basic does not really has the Cookie blocking feature (I did re-check that  :P). You can perhaps send me your hijackthis log by email, perhaps we'll find some other (possibly) offending piece of software.

Thanks.
Lukas.

Churchmouse

I've seen HiJackThis mentioned in different forums across the web, but don't know anything about it... Where can I get it, and how do I use it?

Thanks,

Churchmouse
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 12:34:43 AM by Churchmouse »

Online DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
« Last Edit: April 14, 2005, 01:02:27 AM by DavidR »
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.2.6105 (build 24.2.8918.824) UI 1.0.799/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security