Author Topic: Big problem with update avast free version 8.0.1489  (Read 19310 times)

wjmkoopman

Big problem with update avast free version 8.0.1489
« on: May 27, 2013, 11:01:08 AM »
Hi,
For years i use free-avast antivirus. Until now i never had a problem ipdating to a new version. But now i have problems updating to avast 8.0.1489.
After updating from 8.0.1483 to 8.0.1489 it seems all user-accounts are deleted. This means i cannot login anymore. The only solution is a systemrestore. After that my computer knows the users again and i can login as usual.
My computer is a HP Probook 6560B with Windows 7 professional.
I have updated all drivers to the newest ones.
After that i did a clean install of avast 8.0.1489 and i still had the same problem: all users were gone. So again i did a systemrestore and i could login again.
Anyway i don't understand why this avast-update has this strange behaviour.
Anybody who can help me? I would be very gratefull.
Wim

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
Re: Big problem with update avast free version 8.0.1489
« Reply #1 on: May 27, 2013, 12:38:05 PM »
Lets reinstall Avast

Download Uninstall Utility to your Desktop.
Download the correct version of Avast 
Avast Free
Avast Pro
Avast Internet Security
Avast Premier
Disconnect from the net
Uninstall Avast via control panel

• Run aswClear
  • It will offer to reboot to safe mode .. Accept that

• Once it has rebooted to safe mode
  • In the Select Product to Uninstall dropdown choose the version of Avast that is on your system.
  • Press Uninstall
  • Once complete reboot your system to Normal Mode
  • Reinstall Avast
----------

wjmkoopman

« Reply #2 on: May 27, 2013, 03:08:14 PM »
well, i have done everything, step by step, the way it was described: downloaded the uninstall-utility and avast-free. Then disconnected from the net; uninstalled avast; then run aswClear. After completion rebooted in normal mode. So far so good. Then i installed avast-free 8.0.1489.
Reboot. And there was the same problem as before: user does not exist!
(I can choose between two different users, but after the password is written, my computer says: the account does not exist. That goes for both accounts)
So again, i could not login, and there was no other solution then a systemrepair.
I think i'll wait for the next update, but thanks anyway.

Wim

Offline essexboy

• Malware removal instructor
  • Avast Überevangelist
  • Probably Bot
  • Dragons by Sasha
    • Malware fixes
« Reply #3 on: May 27, 2013, 03:26:20 PM »
Hmm that is weird, and I have never come across that before.  Sorry it did not work for you

wjmkoopman

« Reply #4 on: May 27, 2013, 09:38:36 PM »
Is it possible the problem has something to do with the fingerprintreader of this laptop? (HP Probook 6560b)

wjmkoopman

« Reply #5 on: May 28, 2013, 12:52:48 AM »
I think the problem has something to do with HP ProtectTools Security Manager. Somehow the new version of Avast cannot work together with HP ProtectTools Security Manager. I don't know why, since all went well with avast 8.0.1483
I hope there is a solution for my problem.

Throne Logic

« Reply #6 on: June 02, 2013, 08:49:10 PM »
Same experience with an HP ProBook 4530 / Win 7.   

After upgrading from Avast 8.0.1483 to .1489, the laptop presented with exact same symptoms, "User does not exist".

Safe mode allowed successful login.  Had already followed a similar path as suggested by EssexBoy.  As wjmkoopman found, the problem returns after reinstalling Avast 8.0.1489.

Tried playing around with the HP Security Manger without success.  I did not cycle that installation as the setup and configuration was extensive.

TEMPORARY SOLUTION:  Did a Windows Restore back to a day or so before the Avast Upgrade.  Will now wait until Avast publishes a solution, assuming one comes.

If anyone has insight on a resolution for the issue, I'd love to hear it.

-- tl

Dellboy100

« Reply #7 on: June 06, 2013, 10:44:05 AM »
I have used Avast for at least 5 years without any problems. But while updating from 8.0.1483 to 8.0.1489, when I re-start my computer, it starts up but hangs before the desktop appears, leaving me with a blank screen which I left for an hour.

I have updated twice over the last 2 weeks, but each time had to do a system restore.

I have Windows Vista (sp2) on a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.

Offline Asyn

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
    • >>>  Avast Forum - Deutschsprachiger Bereich  <<<
« Reply #8 on: June 06, 2013, 10:48:01 AM »
I have used Avast for at least 5 years without any problems. But while updating from 8.0.1483 to 8.0.1489, when I re-start my computer, it starts up but hangs before the desktop appears, leaving me with a blank screen which I left for an hour.

I have updated twice over the last 2 weeks, but each time had to do a system restore.

I have Windows Vista (sp2) on a 5 year old Dell Inspiron 1501 laptop.

- OS..?? (32/64 Bit..? - which SP..?)
- Other security related software installed..??
- Which AV did you use before avast!..??
W8.1 [x64] - Avast Free AV 23.3.8047.BC [UI.757] - Firefox ESR 102.9 [NS/uBO/PB] - Thunderbird 102.9.1
Avast-Tools: Secure Browser 109.0 - Cleanup 23.1 - SecureLine 5.18 - DriverUpdater 23.1 - CCleaner 6.01
Avast Wissenswertes (Downloads, Anleitungen & Infos): https://forum.avast.com/index.php?topic=60523.0

DouglasSTG

« Reply #9 on: June 06, 2013, 05:56:23 PM »
Same issue here. Brand new HP EliteBook 2760p.

Has HP Protect tools and other security features, disabling the HP and security feature services in boot, will sort of work, though very cumbersome, and not a good fix. You have to attempt to log in, switch user, wait 3 minutes..... click your user, wait 3 minutes for hp protecttools to try and load... then log in.

Windows 7 64bit.

I have Avast professional edition. Contacting support about the issue right now.

wjmkoopman

« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2013, 09:43:05 AM »
Any succes with this problem?
I do not want to  unable HP protect tools because i login with my fingerprint. So disabeling that is no isue.
It has to be possible to have HP protect tools and avast working at the same time!

mycomputerguy

« Reply #11 on: June 13, 2013, 05:43:52 PM »
Solution :

I had 2 Probooks in 3 days with the same issue...  the solution for it is as soon as you get the login screen ( and it will come up) login straight away.
If you wait too long the HP Protect tools crashes in the background... probably the Avast service starting.

Go to HPs site and find the drivers for your laptop  : http://www8.hp.com/us/en/drivers.html  , download the latest version of HP Protect Tools Security manager and install it. If you already have the latest version re install it.

This worked on both laptops I had in the work shop.
« Last Edit: June 13, 2013, 05:46:31 PM by mycomputerguy »

wjmkoopman

« Reply #12 on: September 15, 2013, 08:21:41 PM »
I have been away for a few months. Now i see your solution to my problem. I have done all you sugested and, thanks to you, it works fine now!
So thank you very much!
Wim