Author Topic: Wanted: Files scanned with error 42003 - "Internal Program Error"  (Read 83031 times)

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
Wanted: Files scanned with error 42003 - "Internal Program Error"
« on: September 22, 2003, 12:24:53 AM »
Hi all,
I'd like to start a great hunt for files that avast! refuses to scan with the "Internal Program Error" error code. If you have any such file(s), please be so kind and send 'em to my e-mail address. :)

Note: turning on archive scanning can somewhat increase the chance of encountering such a file.

Your help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,
Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
Re:Wanted: Files scanned with error 42003 - "Internal Program Error"
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2003, 01:59:11 AM »
Note: turning on archive scanning can somewhat increase the chance of encountering such a file.

Ohh, don't I have anything to do than fixing archive bugs ;) ? I believe in raman, who could be a favourite.

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2003, 04:13:35 AM »
Sorry Vlk, avast! even scanning througout my files does not give any "internal" error  ;D
The false positive files I have already send to pk in the past  ;D
The best things in life are free.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2003, 09:33:22 AM »
Well, I guess Vlk didn't want to say that we cannot be happy unless we get at least a hundred of such files each month  ;D
But if anybody finds such a file, we would definitelly like to have it, that's it.

mantra

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2003, 11:26:01 AM »
what have we to send ?
the file or the log?

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2003, 11:27:53 AM »
If you encounter this "Internal Program Error", it means that avast! has some bad problems with the file. So, it would be nice to send as the file, so that we can fix the error.

Offline raman

• Avast Evangelist
  • Advanced Poster
« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2003, 12:13:37 PM »
Yes, that happens on some arc and gz.tar Archives. I will see, if i can find them.
MfG Ralf

mantra

« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2003, 12:37:56 PM »
ok thanks igor
i will do it

Walker

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2003, 03:50:15 PM »
Hi Vlk, this message serves you right for asking questions ;D

I haven't got all of my 'application' software fully loaded, but I just did a test and ran a full scan (Thorough + Archive) 53Gb without an error message in sight ;D, even some 5-8Gb backup files that had given me trouble in the past were ok.

Still you ask questions like this and some idiot (me)  :P is bound to find something!. So... is there a 'coffee making' facility in the latest version?  ???

This is probably only happening on my machine  :-[ (anyone else???) and I'm not worried... yet!, but when the scanner is running, my monitor speakers are making a noise similar to a duck with diarhea being squeezed in the middle!. For those that have never tried this (you haven't lived!  8) ), it also sounds like a coffee pot syphoning.

Now Someone has to test this  :) :) :)
« Last Edit: September 22, 2003, 03:51:19 PM by Walker »

Offline Vlk

• Avast CEO
  • Serious Graphoman
  • Please don't send me IM's. Email only. Thx.
    • ALWIL Software
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2003, 04:20:50 PM »
Well, the 'internal program error' pops up whenever there is an unexpected error while scanning a file (fortunately not really often any more). You can be glad that the scan runs smoothly on your machine.

This error code is very often related to a bug in the unpacker engine (and since we don't really program the unpackers, we just assemble and fix the stuff that's available on the Net, there can be some bad bugs [unlike in the core avast! engine itself, you know... 8) 8)])

This is probably only happening on my machine   (anyone else???) and I'm not worried... yet!, but when the scanner is running, my monitor speakers are making a noise similar to a duck with diarhea being squeezed in the middle!. For those that have never tried this (you haven't lived!   ), it also sounds like a coffee pot syphoning

Yikes! Now what?  :P
You know, if I were you I'd be glad that the diarhea-convulsed duck isn't being animated!!! ;D (you know these little MS Office 'assistants', don't you? ;))

Vlk
If at first you don't succeed, then skydiving's not for you.

Walker

« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2003, 04:37:44 PM »
Yikes! Now what?  :P
You know, if I were you I'd be glad that the diarhea-convulsed duck isn't being animated!!! ;D (you know these little MS Office 'assistants', don't you? ;))

Vlk

;D ;D ;D

Perhaps you could build in a 'squeeze and sniff' option  ;D

mantra

« Reply #11 on: September 23, 2003, 11:47:46 AM »
i scanned all my cds and hard disk
avast4.1 works perfeclty!!!
no error

Offline MWassef

• Avast Evangelist
  • Super Poster
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2003, 02:27:01 PM »
the same for me  ;D ;D
MW

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
« Reply #13 on: September 29, 2003, 02:57:57 AM »
Hi all,
I'd like to start a great hunt for files that avast! refuses to scan with the "Internal Program Error" error code. If you have any such file(s), please be so kind and send 'em to my e-mail address. :)
Your help would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks,
Vlk

I tryed to send you 3 files right now but they are too big for a dial-up connection (more than 4Mb)  :'(.
You could download the EBCD Pro 0.5 and test 2 files: boot.gz and bootd.gz (http://wcarchive.cdrom.com/pub/simtelnet/msdos/sysutl/ebcdpro.zip).
Another one is WACHBJRB.zip that is installed by the application RealOnePlayer (http://get.real.com/RBR4/200.177.252.66/25fda47d8d024fd0fc20/windows/RealOnePlayerV2GOLD_br.exe).

Could you say something about?  ;)
« Last Edit: September 29, 2003, 04:20:55 AM by Technical »
The best things in life are free.

Offline pk

• Avast team
  • Super Poster
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2003, 03:52:20 PM »
Could you say something about?  ;)

Sure, both links are down, you sent me the private message and you wrote me the alternative downloadable locations. EBCD Pro 0.6 doesnt have any problems with .gz files (i know you were talking about v0.5, see below).

I've installed RealOnePlayer in Portuguese language and there's no .zip files which would be installed with the product.

I tryed to send you 3 files right now but they are too big for a dial-up connection (more than 4Mb)  :'(.

If you can split the 4Mb+ file and send it to kurtin@asw.cz it would be great - or i can open my ftp for your uploading.