Author Topic: Problem with Avast Emergency update files  (Read 4904 times)

artob

Problem with Avast Emergency update files
« on: June 08, 2013, 09:16:54 PM »
Hi;

I am running Avast (v. 7.0.1474) along with Online Armor firewall (v. 6.0) on Win XP-SP3.  Until about 2 months ago, the two worked well together.  Each was set up as excluded from the other.

Recently though, Avast's emergency updater has been trying to run programs (with cryptic/numbered file names) out of the windows temp folder.  Since the executable is not in the Avast instal folder or the work folder (.../all users/application data/.../Avast), Online Armor detects this as a possible threat.

Since Avast is excluded from Online Armor (using Avast's 2 folders), I have no way of telling Online Armor to trust the emergency updater program.  Thus the only possible solutions I see would be to have Avast put the temp files in its own folder(s), or have the the temp files always renamed to the same program/file name, so I could allow that particular file to be run.  Unfortunately, these are both things that are out of my control.

Anyone know of how I can work around this?

Thanks;

Aventador

Re: Problem with Avast Emergency update files
« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2013, 09:44:22 PM »
First and foremost your Avast is out of date. The current version is  8.0.1489. But as far as your main question since its not Avast's fault I would seek advice from Emsisoft. This is the problem you run into when combining security tools. You may want to to try Comodo or Zone Alarm.

artob

« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2013, 12:59:03 AM »
I already asked over at Online Armor.  Nothing can be done at that end.

Is there no way to have Avast put the executable in one of its own folders, or at least use the same file name each time?

As for Zone Alarm or Comodo, I used to use ZA, but abandoned it when turned into bloatware that wanted to control me.  Have never tried Comodo, but won't be switching to it for now.

Also, why is there constantly an emergency update to run, and only since a couple of months ago?

Aventador

« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2013, 05:45:39 AM »
I already asked over at Online Armor.  Nothing can be done at that end.

Is there no way to have Avast put the executable in one of its own folders, or at least use the same file name each time?

As for Zone Alarm or Comodo, I used to use ZA, but abandoned it when turned into bloatware that wanted to control me.  Have never tried Comodo, but won't be switching to it for now.

Also, why is there constantly an emergency update to run, and only since a couple of months ago?

You cannot change how Avast behaves and where it stores its temp files. Truly this is an Online Armor issue. I am sure you can somehow add it to the HIPS exclusions or program exclusions. Is it Online Armors "HIPS" that is detecting this?

Internet User

« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2013, 04:07:25 AM »
But as far as your main question since its not Avast's fault...

You cannot change how Avast behaves and where it stores its temp files.

Seriously...
I have run Avast since it was first released, I have also used Windows 7 Firewall Control since it was released.

This has never been a problem until recently, since some programming genius decided it would be a great idea to have random numbered files access the internet from a temp folder... Are you kidding me! Windows 7 Firewall Control traps this foolishness every time and there is no way to set an exception.

So please explain HOW this is not Avast's fault...

Offline Staticguy

• Super Poster
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2013, 04:27:01 AM »
First and foremost your Avast is out of date. The current version is  8.0.1489. But as far as your main question since its not Avast's fault I would seek advice from Emsisoft. This is the problem you run into when combining security tools. You may want to to try Comodo or Zone Alarm.

Current version is 2014.9.0.2008
DELL Inspiron 15" 7000 Gaming, Windows 10 Home Version 21H1 (OS Build 19043.1237), Trend Micro Maximum Security 2021 (17.0.1333), Avast SecureLine VPN (5.12.5655), Windows Firewall, Unchecky 1.2

cooby

« Reply #6 on: December 11, 2013, 05:46:18 AM »
This has been a problem now for a very long time. Since sometime in v7, perhaps earlier.
For me it's more of a nuisance than anything, because my firewall (see sig) simply sees a new executable and must ask me, because that's how I set the rules. Simple as that. It doesn't imply dangerous activity, it just asks, 'cause it hasn't seen it before. And I have to be there to answer.

If its location and filename were constant the problem would be solved.

Any idea of blaming OnlineArmor or whatever other firewall is ludicrous.