Author Topic: My Avast Home does not start at all!(storage cannot be created for splash screen  (Read 5724 times)

rcm_netizen

My avast does not start on xp sp2.I have quick heal av installed as well.It gives following errors.
1)Storage cannot be craeted for splash task.
2)Configuration not loaded properly.(error dbs.createobject)
and then
3)Programe cannot create parameters to the storage(error dbs.createobject)
I need both of antivirus prgms.Plz help at rcmpost@gmail.com

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
Having two resident AV installed can lead to conflict and is not recommended.

A search of these forums for dbs.createobject should be of use this has been discussed many times.

Try RejZor's AEC avast! External Control program and change the database type from ODBC to XML

Or you can manually edit the avast4.ini file (using a text editor) changing the database=odbc to database=xml this is in the [Common] section.
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
I need both of antivirus prgms.

Which ones? Which one will be resident and which will be only the backup (non-resident) scanner?
The best things in life are free.

rcm_netizen

Changing dbase type to XML helped but my winxp is giving too much problems.i use quich heal with avast.avast is running fine with my win 98.
Thx for the help. :)

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
But my winxp is giving too much problems.
What problems?
Are they related to avast?

Can you try to repair your installation?
Go to Control Panel > Add/Remove programs > avast! antivirus > Remove
Then choose Repair function in the popup window (Repair).
You must be connected to the internet while repairing.

rcm_netizen

I guess so.Whenever i change my entry to XML xp doesnt start.It hangs at pw field.but i am running avast smoothly on 98.I didnt play around it much when i had to system restore twice.
Rajev

Offline Lisandro

• Avast team
  • Certainly Bot
Whenever i change my entry to XML xp doesnt start.

Try to update the Jet drivers (MDAC package) and see if it helps (http://www.microsoft.com/data).

My version is MDAC 2.8 SP1 on Windows XP SP2.
No Problems were found.

Conny

:)
Hello Technical and All others...
I think I've found a solution to this "Splash & Storage" problem....

For users of Avast - pls make sure that your language version of Avast matches your language settings of the input locale settings of the XP sp2. For example if you are from Malta, having input locale Maltese, but everything else in English, change this to English (etc. UK) as well. The problem will be solved.

For Avast guys - pls check your installer to link more exactly with ODBC driver settings of the XP sp2. There were some slight changes with sp2 lately... I guess this issue will become more and more popular as people will get their XP cd's with sp2 implemented and they will want to install Avast.  ;) Shall you require more detailed information, contact me. I'll try my best.

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
I would certainly like to know more about this. It seems quite strange to me that the problem would be connected to Windows locale (btw, what exactly do you mean by "input locale"?)

Offline DavidR

• Avast Überevangelist
  • Certainly Bot
  • No support PMs thanks
I'm not sure that this is the solution as there are only about 20 different language versions of avast and 198 countries.

There may also be ramifications of changing your locale, surely your system clock will be set according to the new locale, e.g. UK GMT or British Summer Time (daylight savings time, etc.).
Windows 10 Home 64bit/ Acer Aspire F15/ Intel Core i5 7200U 2.5GHz, 8GB DDR4 memory, 256GB SSD, 1TB HDD/ avast! free 24.3.6108 (build 24.3.8975.762) UI 1.0.801/ Firefox, uBlock Origin, uMatrix/ MailWasher Pro/ Avast! Mobile Security

Conny

good morning igor,

1st of all do not beat me up, I am not programmer, just silly admin of small enterprise on Malta. My experience is this:

I have 25 licenses of Avast Pro for my company. Obviously as we are at Mla, some of the users prefer to have their regional settings (standards/formats) set to Malta.
Till this point is everything standard.

What is happening to me is quite strange... When I re-install system from XP CD, and then install the sp2, even with the Maltese locale, there is no errors and Avast works fine. When I install from CD with sp2 implemented, I receive Splash errors and avast cannot be started. I do have to change the reginal setting from MLA to UK to get Avast working. So when I saw the French guy shouting about the same thing, I was guessing this might be of some help to you.

That is the story. I found that the problem with ODBC drivers is linked with change of names for the fields like "id" etc. Therefore the storage cannot be opened (he do not see the db field name). It is a long shot really, sorry if it is misleading, but I thought is better to post it  ???.

Regards

Ondrej

Offline igor

• Avast team
  • Serious Graphoman
    • AVAST Software
Interesting... I'd have a few questions:
1. Are there any errors displayed in avast! Log Viewer on the machines where avast! cannot be started, i.e. with Maltese locale with preinstalled SP2?
2. Does the problem disappear instantly, right when you change the locale (without even having to restart the computer), or do you have to restart the computer? Or even reinstall avast?
3. What exactly do you change when switching the regional settings? "Regional options / Standards and formats"? Or "Language for non-Unicode programs"? Or anything else?
4. Just out of curiosity - is Maltese regional setting new to SP2? I somehow cannot find it in SP1...

Thanks!

Conny

Hi Igor,

Yes there were some. But as I was doing some moves I cannot be sure they are appropriate now.

I'll do some more investigation, re-installing/installing excercise. As I am bit behind schedule with my other stuff (BorderManager vs ISA  >:() please give me some time. I'll get into it over the weekend. I'll post what I found when ready.