Author Topic: Avast 8 is preventing VMware workstation 9 from installing  (Read 9117 times)

Offline adamhj

Avast 8 is preventing VMware workstation 9 from installing
« on: June 12, 2013, 10:59:19 AM »
today when i am upgrade vmware workstation 9.0.1 to 9.0.2 (through its auto upgrade), the upgrade process terminated with error:
in the eventlog msiinstaller event: Product: VMware Workstation -- The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 29144. The arguments are: Vstor2 MntApi 1.0 Driver (shared)

and nearly at the same time (moment after the install failed dialog popup), avast report some components of vmware(at least 3 lines) as rootkit and blocked it
so i disabled the file system shield and program behavior shield(i'm not sure about the module english names, maybe there is mistake), then reinstall vmware workstation 9.0.0(as i only have the installing pack of this version), and again stopped with error, this time there is not any popup message from avast

then i tried restart my system, disable other avast modules and reinstall, for many times, and nothing helps, every time the installation come to this error, even with all modules of avast disabled (and avast did not give any notice/warning when the error happens):
Product: VMware Workstation -- Error 1920. Service 'VMware Authorization Service' (VMAuthdService) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

at last i uninstalled avast and the installation with no error.

so i think there is something in avast antivirus 8 preventing the installing of vmware workstation 9, even with all module disabled. as i remember, i installed vmware workstation 9 on the same machine last year (on about november), using exactly the same installing pack, with avast 7(or maybe 6) running with full protection, nothing wrong happened at that time.

can you solve this conflict or at least give as a "full stop mode" so avast will not affect other programs?

btw i think it is good to add a disable/enable all module button, disable modules one by one is bothering

Offline adamhj

Re: Avast 8 is preventing VMware workstation 9 from installing
« Reply #1 on: June 12, 2013, 11:04:40 AM »
ah, forgot to say, my system is win7u x64 newest patched, avast 8 is also last updated

Robsi

Re: Avast 8 is preventing VMware workstation 9 from installing
« Reply #2 on: June 23, 2013, 01:24:21 AM »
I am seeing this problem as well and have confirmed that after uninstalling Avast I am able to install VM Ware Workstation 9
VM Ware installer version - 9.0.2.1031769

There is nothing showing up in the Avast Shield Logs.